Redox for covalently bonded species?

• Thread starter pivoxa15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, the redox convention is used to describe reactions involving covalently bonded species as a way to better understand the movement of electrons. While it may seem unnatural to use this convention for covalent compounds, it can still be useful in determining changes in oxidation state. Organic compounds can also be oxidized or reduced, leading to changes in oxidation state for specific atoms.
pivoxa15
What is the point of using the redox convention in describing reactions involving covalently bonded species? To me it is a very unnatural thing to do? A reaction can occur with a rearrangement of atoms but no change in oxidation numbers of the atoms so a redox reaction hasn't occurred but a reaction in general has.

I think using the redox convention involving metals is very natural as electons are easily seen to be transferred.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Redox #'s are used simply as a method to have a handle on where electrons are moving. It is just something people invented to make their understanding of certain reactions easier.

pivoxa15 said:
What is the point of using the redox convention in describing reactions involving covalently bonded species? To me it is a very unnatural thing to do? A reaction can occur with a rearrangement of atoms but no change in oxidation numbers of the atoms so a redox reaction hasn't occurred but a reaction in general has.
What gives you the impression that there is no change in oxidation state when covalent species react? In fact, I'd venture that most changes in oxidation state are seen in fairly covalent compounds.

Gokul43201 said:
What gives you the impression that there is no change in oxidation state when covalent species react? In fact, I'd venture that most changes in oxidation state are seen in fairly covalent compounds.

I said some reactions between covalent species dosen't involve a change in oxidation states, not all.

I don't see the importance of keeping oxidation numbers for colvalent bonded species. When two covalently bonded species react, what is the point of knowing which is the reductance and oxidant? These species will always 'think' they have valence shell filled. However with metals, a change in oxidation number reflects a change in the number of its valence shell electrons.

pivoxa15 said:

I think using the redox convention involving metals is very natural as electons are easily seen to be transferred.

The "oxidation" and "reduction" may not be identical in definition with respect to organic compounds and actual redox reactions. Organic compounds can be oxidized or reduced; the carbon that is oxidized for instance, the secondary alcohol carbon to the carbonyl carbon of a ketone, is going to have an altered oxidation state as a result. You may or may not have been taught how to derive the numerical value for this concept on a particular atom in an organic compound but it isn't essentially equivalent to the formal charge.

What is redox for covalently bonded species?

Redox, short for reduction-oxidation, refers to a chemical reaction in which atoms or molecules undergo a change in their oxidation state. In the context of covalently bonded species, redox reactions involve the transfer of electrons between atoms that are bonded together by sharing electrons.

What is the difference between redox reactions for covalently bonded species and redox reactions for ionic species?

The main difference between redox reactions for covalently bonded species and redox reactions for ionic species is in the nature of the bond between the atoms involved. In ionic species, the bond is formed by the transfer of electrons from one atom to another. In covalently bonded species, the electrons are shared between the atoms, making the redox reaction more complex and involving the breaking and forming of bonds.

What are some examples of redox reactions for covalently bonded species?

Some common examples of redox reactions for covalently bonded species include the combustion of hydrocarbons, such as methane, and the oxidation of alcohols to aldehydes or ketones. In biological systems, redox reactions play a crucial role in energy production and metabolism, such as in the process of photosynthesis.

How can you determine if a redox reaction is occurring for covalently bonded species?

One way to determine if a redox reaction is occurring for covalently bonded species is to calculate the oxidation states of the atoms involved. If the oxidation state of an atom increases, it has been oxidized, and if it decreases, it has been reduced. Another way is to look for changes in the physical and chemical properties of the reactants and products, such as color changes, heat release, or production of gas.

What are the applications of redox reactions for covalently bonded species?

Redox reactions for covalently bonded species have various applications in industry, such as in the production of plastics, fuels, and pharmaceuticals. They are also important in environmental processes, such as the breakdown of pollutants, and in biological systems, where they play a crucial role in cellular respiration and energy production.