Automorphisms and some maps that are bijective

• Thread starter Gott_ist_tot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with showing that two maps, f_1 and f_2, are bijective. The first map, f_1, is the identity map and is shown to be bijective. The second map, f_2, involves a polynomial with two roots, a and a', in the field extension V. The conversation suggests that showing a two-sided inverse for f_2 will prove its bijectivity.
Gott_ist_tot
I am beginning abstract algebra and am having difficulty showing that some maps are bijective. It is a function f:V -> V where:

f_1 : ( 1 -> 1 and a -> a) and...
f_2 : ( 1 -> 1 and a -> a') where a and a' are the zeros of a polynomial.

f_1 seems trivial. Whatever you plug in you get again so I can not see how it could not be bijective. Going back to my topology class it is the identity map I believe. I am having difficulties getting f_2 where a' is the algebraic conjugate. Does anyone have suggestions about how to think about it. I just can not seem to get past the first hurdle of where to start.

Sorry for the formatting. I do not know how to make piecewise functions in tex. Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing V is the simple field extension of some field F generated by some a with minimal polynomial f(x), and a' is another root of f(x) which lies in V. Is this right? Please include this information next time.

If you've shown f_1 is the identity, you've shown its a bijection. Are you having trouble seeing why the identity is a bijection?

Have you been able to show what the elements in V look like in terms of a? I'm guessing you have if you've done the first part. If so, show there's a similar representation in terms of a', and use this to show f_2 has a two sided inverse, and therefore is a bijection.

Yes, I did understand the identity map. And your explanation of the two sided inverse makes sense. Thanks. I understand it.

1. What is an automorphism?

An automorphism is a bijective (one-to-one and onto) map from a mathematical structure to itself that preserves the structure of the original object. In other words, it is a way of rearranging the elements of the structure while keeping its essential properties unchanged.

2. What are some examples of automorphisms?

Examples of automorphisms include rotations, reflections, and translations in geometry, as well as permutations (rearrangements) of elements in algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields.

3. How do automorphisms relate to symmetry?

Automorphisms are closely related to symmetry because they are essentially ways of transforming a mathematical object while preserving its symmetry. In fact, the automorphisms of an object form a group, which is a fundamental concept in the study of symmetry.

4. What is the difference between an automorphism and a bijective map?

An automorphism is a specific type of bijective map that preserves the structure of a mathematical object. Bijective maps, on the other hand, are simply functions that are both one-to-one and onto, meaning that each element in the domain is paired with a unique element in the codomain, and vice versa.

5. How are automorphisms useful in mathematics?

Automorphisms are useful in mathematics because they allow us to study the properties of a mathematical object by looking at how it can be transformed while keeping its essential properties unchanged. They also play a crucial role in abstract algebra, where they are used to classify and study different types of mathematical structures.