How do I integrate an exponential with a higher power?

In summary, the conversation is about someone struggling with remembering how to integrate an exponential function and seeking assistance. They have tried substituting and using integration by parts, but are unsure if they are on the right track. The recommended approach is to substitute u=x^2 and use integration by parts to solve the simpler integral.
Brewer

Homework Statement

I'm being dead thick, but I can't remember how to integrate an exponential function.
[tex]\int x^3e^{-\alpha x^2}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I reckon that this shouldn't be too complex, but I've totally forgotten how to go about this question. The [tex]x^3[/tex] term means that it can't be integrated like I would normally do (i.e. [tex]\int ke^x = ke^{\frac{x}{k}}[/tex]) can it? I've also tried substituting [tex]u=x^2[/tex] into it and following that through, but it doesn't seem to get anywhere.

Is this really simple, and my recent lack of practice with the techniques is just failing me, or there something more complicated about it?

Please assist, this is doing my head in!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Substituting u = x^2 is a good first move.

You will get a simpler integral involving e^{-au} which you can solve by integration by parts.

[tex]\int x^3e^{-\alpha x^2}dx= \int x^2 e^{-\alpha x^2} (xdx)[/tex]

Now, as others have said, let u= x2.

Oh so I was going right.

I hate integration by parts.

1. What are integrals and how are they related to exponentials?

Integrals are mathematical tools used to find the area under a curve. Exponentials are a type of function that involve a variable raised to a constant power. Integrating exponentials involves finding the integral of a function that contains an exponential term.

2. What is the general process for integrating exponentials?

The general process for integrating exponentials is to use the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is equal to x^(n+1)/(n+1). For integrals involving other functions, such as trigonometric functions, other integration techniques may be needed.

3. How can integrating exponentials be applied in real-world situations?

Integrating exponentials can be applied in a variety of real-world situations, such as in physics to model the decay of radioactive substances or in economics to model compound interest. It can also be used in engineering and science to solve differential equations and analyze growth or decay processes.

4. Are there any special cases or exceptions when integrating exponentials?

Yes, there are some special cases and exceptions when integrating exponentials. For example, when integrating e^x, the result is simply e^x + C. Also, when integrating exponential functions with limits of integration, the result may involve the constant e or ln(e). It is important to carefully consider the limits of integration when solving these integrals.

5. Is there a specific method for integrating exponential functions with complex exponents?

Yes, when integrating exponential functions with complex exponents, the method of substitution can be used. This involves substituting a new variable for the complex exponent and then using the power rule to integrate the remaining function. It is important to carefully choose the substitution variable to simplify the integral.