Beware IM Trojan: Open IM Windows at Risk

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, an IM Trojan is a type of malware that disguises itself as a legitimate instant messaging program and can infect a computer through various means. It can open IM windows without the user's knowledge, putting them at risk for phishing attacks. Signs of infection include pop-ups, changes in browser settings, and decreased performance. IM Trojans can be removed with antivirus software and prevented by regularly updating software, being cautious with email attachments and downloads, and using reliable antivirus programs. They can also affect mobile devices.
neutrino
The trojan that attacks via open IM windows...
http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011146&intsrc=hm_list

I'm posting this here since more people are likely to read it here than the Computers forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That was your thousandth post :biggrin:

No, it wasn't. This is GD. My 1000th was posted a day earlier. :)

I just got my computer back after getting an IM trojan, the only way the people at the computer place could get rid of it was by completely wiping my hard drive. DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU! haha

1. What is an IM Trojan and how does it put open IM windows at risk?

An IM Trojan is a type of malware that disguises itself as a legitimate instant messaging program. It can infect a computer through a variety of means, such as email attachments or malicious websites. Once installed, it can open up IM windows without the user's knowledge, putting them at risk for phishing attacks and other malicious activities.

2. How do I know if my computer has been infected with an IM Trojan?

Some common signs of an IM Trojan infection include sudden pop-ups or advertisements, changes in browser settings, and a decrease in computer performance. It is important to regularly run antivirus software and be cautious when clicking on suspicious links or downloading attachments from unknown sources.

3. Can an IM Trojan be removed from my computer?

Yes, most antivirus software can detect and remove IM Trojans. It is important to regularly update your antivirus program and scan your computer for any potential threats. In severe cases, it may be necessary to seek professional help to completely remove the malware.

4. How can I protect my computer from IM Trojans and other types of malware?

There are a few simple steps you can take to protect your computer from IM Trojans and other types of malware. These include using a reliable antivirus program, keeping your operating system and software up to date, being cautious when opening email attachments or clicking on links, and avoiding downloading software from unknown sources.

5. Can IM Trojans also affect my mobile devices?

Yes, IM Trojans can also infect mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets. It is important to be cautious when downloading apps from app stores and to regularly scan your device for any potential threats.