Light double slit interference - at home

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of setting up a double slit interference pattern for light at home. The speaker shares their own experience with creating Young's fringes using a halogen lamp and a hair, and suggests using a laser pointer and a hair to observe interference patterns. The question of why it is possible to observe fringes without a coherent light source is also raised.
DieCommie
Hello Physics Forums Gurus!

I am wondering if it would be possible to set up a double slit interference pattern for light at home?

Well, I know its possible... but I am just an uneducated student. What kind of dimensions would I need for the slits? I think I would need the light to hit the slits very parallel. How could I achieve this? My hair brained thought is that the source could be in a dark tube to absorb nonparallel light, and at the end the light would be near parallel.

Thx for any thoughts/advice! :rofl:

Science news on Phys.org
This is quite possible.
But the double slit is the hard part of it, unless you can buy one.

But, to see the wave nature of light, there is no need for a double slit experiment.
Personally, when I was 15 I did the thin hair experiment, without even a laser.

I used a halogen lamp enclosed in a box with a tiny hole in it. (I stopped the experiment when it start to burn)
This source of light was put at a few meters of the hair.
The projection of this hair on a screen (or on a film in a reflex box without objective, I don't remember) was macrophotographed and magnified: I got very nice Young fringes.

Today, it is much easier to do these things.
Buy a powerful laser pointer and play with it: with tiny holes or slits made of razor blades or even nicely cut paper. Be carefule for your eyes!
When I am lazy at my desk (at home!), I often play this game: projection of interference pattern on the walls. I can easily obtain 10 cm wide patterns, easily visible. (my pointer is rather powerful because it is a the pointer of a thermometer for measuring on distant walls, I bought it to analyse the heat losses in my house).

Michel

Question:
Why is it possible to observe fringes without using a coherent light source (laser)?
And fortunately ... otherwise the wave nature of light would not have been discovered so early before lasers were available.

Last edited:
Easy way: get a cheap laser pointer. Pluck one hair from your head. Point laser through at wall, and hold the hair across the laser beam.

If you know a bit about Fourier transforms, you should be able to work out why it works. For specifically the double-slit pattern, try to hold the hair bent double.

1. What is light double slit interference?

Light double slit interference is a phenomenon in which light waves passing through two narrow, closely-spaced slits create an interference pattern on a screen. This is due to the superposition of the waves, resulting in regions of constructive and destructive interference.

2. How does light double slit interference occur at home?

To create light double slit interference at home, you can use a laser pointer, a piece of cardboard with two slits cut into it, and a wall or screen to project the pattern onto. The laser beam will diffract as it passes through the slits, creating an interference pattern on the wall or screen.

3. What factors affect the interference pattern in light double slit interference?

The interference pattern in light double slit interference is affected by several factors, including the distance between the slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance between the slits and the screen. The pattern can also be affected by the angle at which the light passes through the slits and any obstructions in the path of the light.

4. How is the wavelength of light related to the interference pattern in light double slit interference?

The wavelength of light is directly related to the spacing of the interference pattern in light double slit interference. A longer wavelength will result in a wider spacing between bright and dark fringes, while a shorter wavelength will result in a narrower spacing.

5. What real-world applications does light double slit interference have?

Light double slit interference has many practical applications, including in the field of optics, where it is used to measure the wavelength of light and to create diffraction gratings for spectrometers. It is also used in the study of quantum mechanics, as it demonstrates the wave-like nature of light and particles.