Power supply for solenoid valve

In summary, the main difference between AC and DC power sources for solenoid valves is the type of power used to operate them. AC solenoids are commonly used in household appliances, while DC solenoids are typically stronger but require a separate power supply. The power consumed by a solenoid is primarily due to resistive losses in the coil while holding the slug. When considering power design for mature products, the available power source should be taken into consideration to determine which type of solenoid is most suitable and cost-effective to use.
Aubrey
what's the difference between AC and DC power source for solenoid valve?and what is mainly the power consumed for?
for mature products available, what should be taken into consideration for power design?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
To tell you the truth, I don't think that I've ever heard of an AC solenoid. They probably work the same way as a DC one, but I can't help suspecting that there would be fatiguing vibrations at or around the cyclic frequency of the current. That is, after all, the basic idea of a doorbell buzzer.

I agree with Danger. Certainly the strongest solenoids will use DC power. The power consumed is the resistive losses in the solenoid coil while it holds the slug in tight. I'm not sure how you'd go about calculating the work done and corresponding extra power consumed during the pull-in phase...I just have never gone through that calculation.

AC solenoids are used all the time. Your washing machine most likely uses them to turn on and off the water.

Which to use is a matter of what power you have available. It is not worth the expense to include a DC power supply just to drive a few solenoids. On the other hand if you already need a DC supply, then use it.

What is a solenoid valve?

A solenoid valve is an electromechanical device that is used to control the flow of a liquid or gas. It consists of a coil of wire, called a solenoid, which creates a magnetic field when an electrical current is passed through it. This magnetic field opens or closes a valve to control the flow of the liquid or gas.

What is the purpose of a power supply for a solenoid valve?

A power supply is necessary for a solenoid valve because it provides the electrical energy needed to create the magnetic field that controls the valve. Without a power supply, the solenoid valve would not be able to function.

What type of power supply is needed for a solenoid valve?

The type of power supply needed for a solenoid valve depends on the specific requirements of the valve. Most solenoid valves require a low voltage DC power supply, typically ranging from 12V to 24V. However, some valves may require a higher voltage or AC power supply. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for the correct power supply.

How do you connect a power supply to a solenoid valve?

To connect a power supply to a solenoid valve, you will need to make sure that the power supply matches the voltage and type required by the valve. Then, you will need to connect the positive and negative leads of the power supply to the appropriate terminals on the solenoid valve. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and ensure that the connections are secure.

What are some common issues with power supply for solenoid valves?

Some common issues with power supply for solenoid valves include incorrect voltage or type of power supply, loose or faulty connections, and power supply failure. It is important to regularly check the power supply and connections to ensure proper functioning of the solenoid valve.