Residual stress in 3 layer cantilever beam

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in predicting and calculating residual stress in layers using a Focused Ion Beam system. They have been able to obtain the average stress using Stoney's equation, but are having trouble finding the neutral axis when removing thin layers. They mention the materials and their respective Young's moduli, and mention a potential solution using Solid works and COsmos. They also mention trying to model the residual stress using the slot method and are looking for input from the General Physics forum.
soiree
Hi guys & girls,
I have a problem, I am trying to calculate the residual stress as a function of depth of each layer.

I am using a Focused Ion Beam system to milling/removal thin layers of material from each layer of this cantilever, & measuring the deflection.

I can obtain the average stress in each layer after removing the whole layer by using Stoney's equation. But am trying to predict / calculate the residual stress through the thickness of the layers.

The main problem I am having is that I have no idea how to find the neutral axis each time i remove a thin layer of each of the different layers.

the beam is made of Ti, SiO2, & Si. with Young's modulus 110, 85, 130 G Pa respectively.

Can anyone help?! I am so confused!:confused:
Cheers
Toby

Physics news on Phys.org
DO you have access to a PC with Solid works and COsmos... a friend of mine made all stress calculations of our graduation robot on this software. if you'r interrested, tell me and i'll put you in touch with him.

HI Ikalogic,
no i don't have access to to either of those packages; i do have access to Matlab & DaVis 7.2.

If you wouldn't mind putting me in touch with him that would be great!

I am also trying to model the residual stress as a function of thickness in thin films using the slot method [i.e. milling a slot of know length, width, depth & looking at the stress relaxation / by measuring relative movements of the top surface before & after milling the slot].

Much appreciated!

I'd like to try moving this question from the EE forum to the General Physics forum for a bit. This is a complicated question that deserves a wider set of views.

1. What is residual stress in a 3 layer cantilever beam?

Residual stress refers to the internal stress that remains in a material even after all external loads have been removed. In a 3 layer cantilever beam, this can be caused by differences in material properties, processing techniques, or temperature changes during manufacturing.

2. How is residual stress measured in a 3 layer cantilever beam?

Residual stress can be measured using various techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, hole-drilling strain gauges, or neutron diffraction. These methods measure the strain in the material, which can then be used to calculate the residual stress.

3. What factors can affect residual stress in a 3 layer cantilever beam?

Residual stress can be influenced by a variety of factors, including material composition, processing techniques, geometry of the beam, and thermal history. It is important to consider these factors when designing and manufacturing a 3 layer cantilever beam to prevent potential failure due to residual stress.

4. How does residual stress impact the mechanical properties of a 3 layer cantilever beam?

Residual stress can significantly affect the mechanical properties of a 3 layer cantilever beam, including its strength, stiffness, and fatigue life. Excessive residual stress can lead to premature failure or reduce the overall performance of the beam.

5. Can residual stress be reduced or eliminated in a 3 layer cantilever beam?

While it is difficult to completely eliminate residual stress, it can be reduced through careful material selection, proper processing techniques, and post-treatment methods such as heat treatment or shot peening. It is important to consider these approaches during the design and manufacturing process to minimize the effects of residual stress on the beam's performance.