Balancing Math and Physics: How Do I Plan My Schedule for a Double Major?

In summary, the person has been admitted to Harvard and is excited about the opportunity to double major in math and physics. They are seeking advice on how to balance their schedule and decide which classes to take, especially if they have already taken similar courses in high school. They also mention that they may have more flexibility in their schedule if they have AP or IB credits.
Saketh
I am a junior in high school right now, and I applied to university. I got admitted to Harvard today :biggrin: so I'm rather excited.

The thing is, I have done little research about balancing math and physics -- I want to do both, but I don't know how people normally balance their schedules.

Basically, I want to know how people normally plot out their schedules for their first few years doing both math and physics. In addition, I need advice on taking classes whose material I already know. That is, how can I decide which classes to "retake" in both the math and the physics tracks?

Thanks for your advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Saketh said:
I am a junior in high school right now, and I applied to university. I got admitted to Harvard today :biggrin: so I'm rather excited.

The thing is, I have done little research about balancing math and physics -- I want to do both, but I don't know how people normally balance their schedules.

Basically, I want to know how people normally plot out their schedules for their first few years doing both math and physics. In addition, I need advice on taking classes whose material I already know. That is, how can I decide which classes to "retake" in both the math and the physics tracks?

Thanks for your advice!

well, if you come in with a lot of AP/IB credit, then you have more space in your schedule for the double major. ...i think harvard will make you take some of their general ed classes, though, regardless of how you did on the AP/IB exams.

not sure about harvard specifically, but it seems that in most schools, double majoring in math and physics isn't too bad. you just take maybe three more math classes than you would have needed to than just majoring in physics.

Congratulations on your admission to Harvard! Pursuing a double major in math and physics is a great choice, as these two fields are closely related and can complement each other well.

When it comes to planning your schedule, it's important to consider your strengths, interests, and long-term goals. Both math and physics require a strong foundation in mathematics, so it may be beneficial to prioritize taking math courses in your first year to build a solid base. You can then gradually add in physics courses as you progress through your degree. It may also be helpful to speak with academic advisors or upperclassmen who have already completed a double major in math and physics to get a sense of what courses to take and in what order.

As for retaking classes, it's important to keep in mind that even if you have previous knowledge in a particular subject, college-level courses may cover more advanced material or offer a different perspective. It may be beneficial to retake courses in both math and physics that you feel will strengthen your understanding and provide a solid foundation for upper-level courses in your major. However, if you feel confident in your understanding of a particular subject, you may choose to skip that course and take a more advanced one instead.

Overall, it's important to maintain a balance between challenging yourself and ensuring that you have a manageable workload. Don't be afraid to consult with academic advisors and upperclassmen for guidance and make adjustments to your schedule as needed. With careful planning and dedication, you can successfully balance a double major in math and physics at Harvard. Best of luck in your academic journey!

1) What is the difference between undergraduate math and physics?

Undergraduate math focuses on the study of mathematical concepts and theories, while undergraduate physics focuses on the study of the physical world and its laws.

2) Can I major in both math and physics as an undergraduate?

Yes, many universities offer a joint major in math and physics for undergraduate students. This allows students to explore both subjects and see how they intersect and complement each other.

3) What are the common career paths for students with an undergraduate degree in math or physics?

Some common career paths for students with an undergraduate degree in math include actuarial science, data analysis, and teaching. For students with an undergraduate degree in physics, common career paths include engineering, research, and teaching.

4) Is it necessary to have a strong background in math before studying physics?

While a strong background in math can be helpful for studying physics, it is not always necessary. Many introductory physics courses will cover the necessary math concepts, and students can build their math skills as they progress through their physics courses.

5) What are the key skills that are developed in an undergraduate math/physics program?

An undergraduate math/physics program can help students develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving skills, and a strong foundation in mathematical and scientific concepts. It also provides opportunities for hands-on research and experimentation, as well as developing strong communication and teamwork skills.