BS Applied Physics to Engineering PhD

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore at Rice University majoring in Applied Physics. They have recently decided to switch to a graduate program in engineering, specifically electrical or environmental engineering. They are wondering if their background in physics will make them less competitive for graduate school and if there are programs that accept students with a different undergraduate degree. The conversation ends with a recommendation for a graduate engineering program at Boston University that accepts students without an engineering background. The speaker also mentions that their uncle successfully went from a math undergraduate degree to a PhD in electrical engineering at MIT.
misterme09
I'm a Rice University sophomore majoring in Applied Physics. I decided only within the past semester that I don't want to do pure physics my whole life (mainly due to the poor career choices). So I changed to applied physics.

My question now is if it is possible to go to graduate school in some type of engineering (ideally electrical or environmental). I will take a few electrical engineering courses as an undergrad for applied physics, so I hope that would help.

Also, given that it is possible, does that mean I will be facing even tougher competition coming from physics rather than engineering? Or will some graduate schools be happy to take some students with a slightly different background?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Boston University has a graduate engineering program for students whose undergrad was not in engineering.

http://www.bu.edu/eng/leap/

I don't think it's that big of a deal...you will already have had the math and the physics (and then some) that an engineer major will need, but you will have to probably spend a couple years making up lower level engineering courses. My uncle went from math undergrad to phd EE at MIT.

It is common.

1. What is the difference between a BS in Applied Physics and an Engineering PhD?

The main difference between a BS in Applied Physics and an Engineering PhD is the level of education and specialization. A BS in Applied Physics is an undergraduate degree that typically focuses on the principles and theories of physics, while an Engineering PhD is a graduate degree that delves deeper into a specific area of engineering, such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering.

2. What can I do with a BS in Applied Physics and an Engineering PhD?

A BS in Applied Physics can lead to various careers in research, development, or teaching, while an Engineering PhD can open up opportunities in specialized engineering fields, as well as academia and research. Both degrees can also lead to careers in industries such as aerospace, electronics, and energy.

3. How long does it take to complete a BS in Applied Physics and an Engineering PhD?

A BS in Applied Physics typically takes 4 years to complete, while an Engineering PhD can take an additional 4-6 years after obtaining a bachelor's degree. The duration may vary depending on the program and individual progress.

4. Can I pursue a PhD in Engineering with a BS in Applied Physics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in Engineering with a BS in Applied Physics. However, it is important to have a strong background in math and relevant coursework in engineering to be successful in a PhD program.

5. What skills are required for a successful career in BS Applied Physics and Engineering PhD?

Some essential skills for a successful career in BS Applied Physics and Engineering PhD include strong analytical and critical thinking skills, proficiency in math and physics, attention to detail, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team.