Tony Blair Announces His Resignation

• News
  • Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
In summary: Jimmy does not like Pete.Jimmy does not like Johnny.Then it supposedly follows that Jimmy does not know anything about what Johnny stands for because Pete is not at all like Johnny. Does that make any sense? You are saying that Jimmy cannot dislike Pete and Johnny?I don't like Bush and I don't like Blair, is that suposed to be some contradiction?
Physics news on Phys.org
chemisttree said:
WOW!

Did anyone see this coming?

:rofl: only for the past two years or so-- it's about time if you ask me! Although, now we'll have to put up with Brown for a while. I think we should give Brown a chance though; he may actually be quite a good leader now he doesn't have to bow down to Blair's command.

Disclaimer: Of course Brown is not necessarily the next prime minister, and we should wait for the Labour party to vote on it...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
Can't say I am sad about that. Now only if Bush would resign as well that would make a great week for the world.

Oh god no, that would leave Cheney is charge. Uhh come to think of it Cheney is in charge.

There isn't anybody I can think of in the line of US succession that would be appealing as a president.

MeJennifer said:
Now only if Bush would resign as well that would make a great week for the world.
add the entire Bush administration and it's a deal. :biggrin:

Did anyone see this coming?
The reference has been Tony's long good-bye, and some wondering if Gordon Brown is up to the challenge.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
add the entire Bush administration and it's a deal. :biggrin:
We're connecting Astronuc. :biggrin:

MeJennifer said:
Can't say I am sad about that. Now only if Bush would resign as well that would make a great week for the world.
Shows how little you (the world) knows about Blair. He was/is more like Clinton than Bush, but he decided to side with a right wing republican neocon, to ensure the US weren't polarised, in their war.

This is however going to be his legacy, chumming up to Bush...

On a domestic front the UK is a far better place than when the Tory had power, Blair changed the political landscape in the UK so much that someone like Cameron has popped up as the Tory leader, in an attempt to reform a unvoteable Tory party.

10 years in the spotlight as a statesman and mud will stick.

MeJennifer said:
We're connecting Astronuc. :biggrin:
Actually, I think Congress should resign enmasse also.

We need some better alternative to the two entrenched parties and the two-party system. :grumpy:

A choice between Bush :yuck: and Kerry :yuck: , or Bush :yuck: and Gore :yuck: , is not much of a choice, IMO.

Anttech said:
Shows how little you (the world) knows about Blair. He was/is more like Clinton than Bush, but he decided to side with a right wing republican neocon, to ensure the US weren't polarised, in their war.
It doesn't show that, it only shows how quickly you jump to conclusions. :biggrin:

MeJennifer said:
It doesn't show that, it only shows how quickly you jump to conclusions. :biggrin:
Conclusions are based on what is written (well my conclusions are), and since you made the effort to link Blair and Bush I concluded you thought they stood for the same things, and thus you were happy Blair was leaving. At least now you will probably go and read up on Blairs policies and perhaps what he really stood for. :smile:

Astronuc said:
A choice between Bush :yuck: and Kerry :yuck: , or Bush :yuck: and Gore :yuck: , is not much of a choice, IMO.
Again, I fully agree with you.
All of them are lame puppets.

Anttech said:
Conclusions are based on what is written (well my conclusions are), and since you made the effort to link Blair and Bush I concluded you thought they stood for the same things, and thus you were happy Blair was leaving.
As I suspected you jumped to conclusions. :biggrin:

Logic Anttech:

Jimmy does not like Pete.
Jimmy does not like Johnny.

Then it supposedly follows that Jimmy does not know anything about what Johnny stands for because Pete is not at all like Johnny.

Does that make any sense? You are saying that Jimmy cannot dislike Pete and Johnny?

I don't like Bush and I don't like Blair, is that suposed to be some contradiction?
By the way I think Blair is by far the bigger hypocrite of the two. A man like Blair is the kind of man who could pretending blue is green and be complaintely straight faced about it. Bush is not quite of that level.

Perhaps next he is going to retire become an "ambassador of peace". Or he is going to write his memoires and whitewash himself :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Then it supposedly follows that Jimmy does not know anything about what Johnny stands for because Pete is not at all like Johnny.
LOL.. Seems like you are jumping to conclusions if you think that was my thought process. I thought it was obvious why I concluded what I did, and no it wasnt due to my (evident) lack of IQ, and logic as your post was trying to show (right, or another jump?)

You associated deliberately bush and blair, with your quip, unless of course you tend to go off in massive tangents mid paragraph.
As I said I concluded what I did because of what you posted. These two men have nothing in common politically so why bother associating them, unless of course you think they do :smile:

And I know what Blair stands for, don't get me started.
Please start... This is a thread about him!

One thing about Blair: He explains himself very well and he makes sense. When I listen to him speak, I have a very hard time understanding how we could be so far apart politically. He almost made me not hate Bush for about a nanosecond a couple of times. Also, comments like those made today at the White House suggest to me that his loyalties were to the U.S. and not Bush in particular. I wonder what he reeeeeeally thinks of Bush.

Last edited:
Goodbye Tony, Hello Gordon

Tony Blair Hands Over Power
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11424864

Blair Makes Final Parliament Appearance as PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11457830
NPR.org, June 27, 2007 · Prime Minister Tony Blair made his last official appearance before Parliament Wednesday, saying he was sorry for the peril faced by British troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, but he made no apologies for supporting the United States in taking military action there.

Blair faced the House of Commons for a last time before going to Buckingham Palace to resign as prime minister, clearing the way for Treasury chief Gordon Brown to take over as head of government.

Blair opened his final weekly appearance for question time in the body by expressing condolences to the families of the fallen, this week including two in Iraq and one in Afghanistan.

Gordon Brown Moves to British Prime Minister Post
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11457409
Morning Edition, June 27, 2007 · Gordon Brown takes over the British government, replacing Tony Blair as prime minister. Brown is considered to be fond of America — he used to vacation on Cape Cod and reads American literature. Jonathan Freedland, a columnist at the Guardian newspaper, discusses Brown and what the British people expect from him with Steve Inskeep.
I found the interview with Freedland to rather insightful into what to expect with Brown. Let us see if the expectations are correct. I am intrigued by the possibility that Brown really does have a good understanding of the US political system and policies. I wish the presidential candidates did - or maybe they do - and that's the problem.

Brown Poised to Emerge from Blair's Shadow
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10192750
by Rob Gifford
All Things Considered, May 15, 2007 · Once British Prime Minister Tony Blair announced he would be stepping down in June, the ruling Labor Party began the process of finding a successor. But there is little suspense about the process — Finance Minister Gordon Brown is the sole legitimate candidate.

In fact, Brown has such a stranglehold on the succession that his party is struggling to find an opponent for him.

Unfortunately the world has not seen the last of Tony Blair just yet. It has been confirmed he has accepted the role of ME peace envoy for the quartet.

Hmm Tony Blair - ME Peace Envoy? An oxymoron if ever there was one.

I saw the editor of Al Quds being asked what he thought about the appointment. He was, to be polite, somewhat underwhelmed and pointed out the difficulties the future held for Blair as the second most hated man in the world in the ME. No prizes for guessing who was number one.

On the bright side the British House of Commons has seen the last of him as he has applied for stewardship of the Chiltern Hundreds (a complicated process to allow MPs to resign their seats)

Last edited by a moderator:
Art said:
Unfortunately the world has not seen the last of Tony Blair just yet. It has been confirmed he has accepted the role of ME peace envoy for the quartet.

Hmm Tony Blair - ME Peace Envoy? An oxymoron if ever there was one.
I do have to wonder about the efficacy of Blair appointment to this role.

Art went GOLD? When did this happen?

<WHAM>

Whacks Art with a man of war. :biggrin: Sorry, we ran out of fish, so I used the first thing that washed up on the beach. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Art went GOLD? When did this happen?

<WHAM>

Whacks Art with a man of war. :biggrin: Sorry, we ran out of fish, so I used the first thing that washed up on the beach. :biggrin:
lol It's to celebrate 6 months of posting with no ban :tongue2:

1. Why did Tony Blair announce his resignation?

Tony Blair announced his resignation as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom on June 27, 2007. He stated that he had always planned to serve two terms and believed it was time for a new leader to take over.

2. Who will replace Tony Blair as Prime Minister?

After Tony Blair's resignation, Gordon Brown, who had been serving as the Chancellor of the Exchequer, was elected as the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

3. How long was Tony Blair in office?

Tony Blair served as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom for 10 years, from 1997 to 2007. He was the longest-serving Labour Party Prime Minister in British history.

4. What were some of Tony Blair's major accomplishments during his time as Prime Minister?

During his time in office, Tony Blair implemented various policies and initiatives, including the Good Friday Agreement in Northern Ireland, the introduction of the National Minimum Wage, and significant investment in public services such as education and healthcare. He also led the UK into the Iraq War in 2003.

5. How was Tony Blair's resignation received by the public and his political party?

Tony Blair's resignation was met with mixed reactions. While some praised his accomplishments, others criticized his decision to go to war in Iraq. Within his political party, there were those who supported his leadership, while others were eager for a change.