Rank of a Word: Permu-Combi Help

• Thread starter Mr.IITIAN007
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "dictionary rank" which refers to the position of a word when arranged in alphabetical order in a dictionary. It is calculated by finding the number of words possible before the given word when its letters are arranged in alphabetical order. There is a longer method to calculate it, but some people have a trick to find it quickly. One method mentioned assigns a number to each letter based on its position in the alphabet and then uses a formula to calculate the rank. However, this method is not accurate as it does not consider words longer than three letters and non-words.
Mr.IITIAN007
Hey guys ! Is there any shortcut to find the rank of a particular word ??
If there is any, then what is it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the rank of a word?

Rank of a word means at which position it is written in the dictionary.

Rank of a word is nothing but the arrangement of the given letters of the word in dictionary..order n finding after how many words which r possible by these letters our favourable word occurs...let me xplain wisd a xample..

take the xample of the word "MASTER"

ARRANGE THESE LETTERS IN DICTIONARY ORDER...A,E,M,R,S,T

THEN THE NO OF WORDS BEGIN WITH A=5 FACTORIAL
"" "" "" E=5 """
" "" "" MAE=3 ''' "
"" "" MAR=3 "" "
"" """ MASE=2 " ""
" "" MASR=2 ""
" "" MASTER=1
=ADDIN THEM WILL GET 257 WHICH IS THE RANK OF MASTER...

CONCLUSION...OUR WORD MASTER OCCUR AS 257th WORD WHEN ARRANGED ACC TO DIC...WHICH MEANS 256 WORDS R POSSIBLE WID THESE LETTERS BEFORE THE WORD MASTER...

But this method is too lengthy and becomes even longer when the word is longer and has same letters more than once.

For example if the letters of the word 'SURITI' are written in all possible orders and these words are written out in a dictionary ,then the rank of the word is 236.Similarly the rank of the word 'RANDOM' is 614.

You mean to say that if we were to list all possible arrangements of 6 numbers in increasing value order, is there a quick way to find the rank of one of these arrangements?

Last edited:
Yes you can say that.

Well, I don't believe there is any kind of short cut.

Last edited:
But some of my friends solve this type of question within seconds.They seem to have a particular kind of trick.Well,they don't tell me.

Hummm. I'll put my mind into it, I'll get back at you.

Well I can't think of anything expect the obvious... if

Master = 315624

then the rank is given to us by (3 - 1)*5! + (1-1)*4! + (3 -1)*3! + (3 - 1)*2! + (1-1)*1! + (1 - 1)*0! = 268

In which the number x in (x - 1)*n! is the rank of the number in respect to the numbers on its right in 315624. I believe your 247 is wrong...

Last edited:
O.K.Thats great man.But what is 'Master = 315624'.

Well, all I did was to assign to each letter a number in respect to the alphabet. A is the first letter out of the 6, so I gave it 1 and etc. It really dosen't matter, all the information you need is the relative ranking of a digit in respect to the others. Working with numbers is easier than letters for me though, I have to recite the alphabet all over every time I want to check which letter comes first!

Hello Werg,

I did not understand "then the rank is given to us by (3 - 1)*5! + (1-1)*4! + (3 -1)*3! + (3 - 1)*2! + (1-1)*1! + (1 - 1)*0! = 268"

"x in (x - 1)*n! is the rank of the number in respect to the numbers on its right in 315624"
what does this mean. Right...does it mean no. of digits to X's right side?

Please help me in understanding this. I desperately need to learn this short cut.

It is not that difficult to calculate how many combinations of, say, 6 letters there are and where in that list a particular order comes, but that does not answer the question about "dictionary rank". For example, if I were to argue that there are [itex]26^3= 17576[/itex] three letter combinations of the 26 letters of the alphabet, and that "and" would come, in alphabetical order, at position 14*26+ 4= 368 in that list, that would NOT tell me where in the dictionary "and" comes. For one thing, that includes combinations of letters, like "agf", that are not words. For another, a dictionary would include words longer that three letters before "and".

1. What does "rank of a word" mean?

The rank of a word refers to its numerical position when all the possible permutations of its letters are listed in alphabetical order. For example, the word "cat" would have a rank of 3, as it is the third word when all the permutations (act, atc, cat, cta, tac, tca) are arranged alphabetically.

2. How is the rank of a word calculated?

The rank of a word is calculated using the concept of permutation and combination. First, all the possible permutations of the word's letters are generated. Then, these permutations are arranged in alphabetical order. Finally, the given word is compared to the ordered list to determine its rank.

3. Can the rank of a word be the same for different words?

No, the rank of a word is unique and cannot be the same for different words. Each word has its own unique combination of letters, resulting in a unique rank.

4. Is there a formula for calculating the rank of a word?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating the rank of a word. The formula is n!/(a! x b! x c! ...), where n is the total number of letters in the word and a, b, c, etc. represent the number of times each letter is repeated.

5. Why is the concept of rank of a word important in mathematics?

The concept of rank of a word is important in mathematics because it helps in solving problems related to permutations and combinations. It also has applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and cryptography.