Spherical cavity electric field

In summary, a positive charge of 2800.00 C is distributed over a sphere of radius 6.00 m. A spherical cavity of radius 3.00 m is cut out of the sphere and the discarded material and its charge. To find the electric field at point P, which is 19.00 m from the center of the original sphere, the principle of superposition is used. Using proportions, the charge of the discarded material is found to be 3500 C. The electric field is then calculated using the formula E=KQ/R^2 for both the big and little spheres. However, the solution obtained does not match the correct one.
GravityGirl
A positive charge Q = 2800.00 C is uniformly distributed over the volume of a sphere of radius R = 6.00 m. Suppose a spherical cavity of radius R/2 is cut out of the solid sphere, the center of the cavity being a distance R/2 from the center of the original solid sphere (see figure). The cut-out material and its charge are discarded. What is the magnitude of the electric field produced by this new charge distribution at point P, a distance r = 19.00 m from the center of the original sphere?

so i am going to use the principle of superposition

E=Ebigsphere-Elittlesphere

inorder to find E i must find the charge and i can do so by using porportions

Qb/Vb=Ql/Vl

that is 28000/904.7787=Ql/113.0973 and Ql=3500

so i am going to use the formula E=KQ/R^2 for both big a little spheres

and i have E=(K28000/19^2)-(K3500/16^2)

with this i am not getting the right solution...please help me find where i am going wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. Where is point P with respect to the two spheres? (Since we don't have the diagram, it's up to you to describe it carefully.)

did you ever figure this out?

1. What is a spherical cavity electric field?

A spherical cavity electric field refers to the electric field that is present within a spherical cavity. It is created by charged particles at the center of the cavity and is affected by the geometry and material properties of the cavity.

2. What causes a spherical cavity electric field?

A spherical cavity electric field is caused by the presence of charged particles at the center of the cavity. These charged particles create an electric field that is influenced by the shape and material properties of the cavity.

3. How is the strength of a spherical cavity electric field determined?

The strength of a spherical cavity electric field is determined by the magnitude of the charged particles at the center of the cavity, as well as the distance from the center to the surface of the cavity. It is also influenced by the dielectric constant of the material surrounding the cavity.

4. What is the significance of a spherical cavity electric field?

A spherical cavity electric field is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles inside a spherical cavity. It can also be used in various applications such as in the design of electronic devices and in the study of electromagnetic waves.

5. How can a spherical cavity electric field be calculated?

A spherical cavity electric field can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the charge of the particles, the geometry of the cavity, and the material properties of the surrounding medium. It can also be simulated using specialized software programs.