Self-propagating wave question

• Thread starter Lucretius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic waves. The individual is questioning whether these fields are constant or changing, and is seeking clarification on the concept of self-propagation in EM waves. The other person suggests consulting Feynman's Lectures on Physics for further understanding.
Lucretius
I'm currently reading about EM waves in my physics course, but there is something that is not clear to me.

I know, from Maxwell's equations, that a changing electric field produces a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field likewise produces an electric field. However, it seemed from my reading that the strengths of these fields were constant.

Now, my book is talking about the self-propagation of EM waves, and from the sound of it; it would seem as if a changing electric field produces a changing magnetic field, which in turn produces a changing electric field, and so on; propagating forever.

So, there are two things I can think of: either I am misunderstanding Maxwell's equations; or there is some other factor I am missing here in understanding what is going on. Does a changing E-field produce a changing B-field or one with a constant strength?

Physics news on Phys.org
The former, of course. There is an excellent discussion in Feynman's Lectures on Physics which should be perfect for you.

Great question! It's important to understand that in the context of EM waves, the term "constant" refers to the amplitude or strength of the fields, not their values. In other words, the fields are constantly oscillating back and forth, but the amplitude remains the same. This is because EM waves are self-sustaining, meaning they do not require any external source to maintain their energy.

To answer your question, a changing electric field does indeed produce a changing magnetic field, and vice versa. This is known as the self-propagation of EM waves. As the electric field changes, it creates a magnetic field, which in turn creates a new electric field, and so on. This process continues indefinitely, allowing the EM wave to propagate through space.

It's also important to note that the strength of the fields is not constant throughout the entire wave. As the wave travels, the fields will decrease in strength due to factors such as distance and absorption. However, the overall pattern of changing electric and magnetic fields continues, allowing the wave to propagate.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of EM waves and their self-propagation. Keep up the good work in your physics course!

What is a self-propagating wave?

A self-propagating wave is a type of wave that can travel through a medium without any external force or energy. It is also known as a self-sustaining wave or an autowave.

How does a self-propagating wave work?

A self-propagating wave works by utilizing the energy stored within the medium it is moving through. As the wave travels, it triggers a chemical or physical reaction that releases energy, allowing the wave to continue propagating without any additional energy input.

What are some examples of self-propagating waves?

Some examples of self-propagating waves include chemical reactions, such as the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction, and physical processes, such as the spread of heat in a solid material through thermal diffusion.

What are the applications of self-propagating waves?

Self-propagating waves have various applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and biology. They can be used for chemical synthesis, heat treatment of materials, and studying biological processes.

Can self-propagating waves be controlled?

Yes, self-propagating waves can be controlled by adjusting the conditions of the medium they are moving through. For example, changing the temperature or concentration of a reactant can alter the speed or direction of a self-propagating wave.