Orbital Mechanics: NASA Launching Probes & GR/SR Considerations

In summary: I think it's trickiness arises from the way it gets distorted by the body forces. (And I think the hoop was the first exact analytic solution to Einstein's GR equations after Minkowski's flat space!) In summary, the use of General Relativity and Special Relativity is necessary when navigating spacecraft to distant planets, but less relevant for surface navigation on Earth. NASA uses various models and datasets, such as the JPL "Horizons" ephemeris and the SPICE system, to accurately predict the positions of planets in space and plan missions. However, for most spacecraft navigation, the effects of relativity are overshadowed by other factors such as atmospheric drag and thruster performance. The Earth and Moon are not rigid
blumfeld0
Hi. I was wondering how GR and/or SR is taken into account when the people over at NASA launch probes to comets, or any of the planets?
I know GPS uses GR and SR and I've read a bit about that. But do they need to take into account GR/SR when planning missions or is the Newtonian limit good enough?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hope this helps

blumfeld0 said:
Hi. I was wondering how GR and/or SR is taken into account when the people over at NASA launch probes to comets, or any of the planets?

You'd have to be more specific. E.g. to describe the orbit of Mercury on a timescale of centuries, you need to take account of gtr. So does that mean that to navigate to Mercury you need to use gtr?

blumfeld0 said:
I know GPS uses GR and SR and I've read a bit about that. But do they need to take into account GR/SR when planning missions or is the Newtonian limit good enough?

GPS and other current generation satellite navigation systems are designed for navigation over the surface of the Earth (give or take ten kilometers), so GPS is generally not relevant to space mission navigation.

However, there are some fascinating proposals for deep space satellite navigation systems which would be fully relativistic. See the site in my sig (use the search tool).

I don't have much hard information. I don't know for a fact, for instance, whether or not the JPL "Horizons" ephermeris http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?horizons is necessarily used for mission planning.

At this point, I can't even positively confirm that Horizons is based on a PPN model of the solar system, though that's my impression. Use of a PPN model would imply some first order GR type corrections for the sun's gravity.

JPL itelf uses http://naif.jpl.nasa.gov/naif/about.html" for mission planning. SPICE and Horizons use the same datasets (DE 405, etc) as the basis for the ephemerides. The DE xxx datasets are formed using some kind of weak-field approximation. The datasets themselves are sets of coefficients for Chebychev polynomials that yield approximate planet positions as a function of time. Thus the users of the datasets doesn't need to know anything about gravity. They just need to know how to form the Chebychev polynomials.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, DH, I think that gets back the point I was struggling to express above: for purposes of spacecraft navigation you need an accurate model of the solar system motion on the scale of years. Where that accuracy comes from (recent detailed observations, Newtonian or post-Newtonian theory, or a complicated combination of multiple sources) shouldn't really matter very much. I think that comes down to saying that for injecting a spacecraft into orbit around Mars (once you somehow know where Mars is located at the time when you want to perform the injection), accurately modeling stuff like solar wind buffeting is probably more important than effects arising from the curvature of spacetime.

Chris, you are quite right. In general1, spacecraft operators (and the onboard software) don't model relativistic effects period once a vehicle gets close to a planet. Uncertainties in atmospheric drag, thruster performance, sensor performance, gravity2, vehicle mass properties, and so on, overwhelm (by many orders of magnitude) the errors induced by ignoring relativistic effects.

Notes:
1: The GPS satellites are a special case. The clocks on the satellites need to be modeled with extreme accuracy. Were it not for this concern, people wouldn't bother with modeling relativistic effects on the GPS satellites.

2: The non-spherical nature of a planet becomes an issue once one gets close to a planet. Spacecraft designers use a low-order spherical harmonic model of gravity in the spacecraft flight software and a much higher order model on the ground. Gravity is weird enough even without relativitity. For example, see http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/06nov_loworbit.htm" on the subsatellites released by Apollo 15 and 16.

Hi, DH, thanks for the great link! Do you happen to know to what order JPL (?) carries the spherical harmonics in order to model the gravitational field of the Moon? The Earth? Ditto that the challenges of even Newtonian gravitational physics tends to be underestimated by the public!

Chris, JPL has developed several models of the Moon's gravitational field based on Lunar Prospector data. The highest degree model is a 165x165 model, LP 165P. Lower degree/order models are a bit more stable. Here's a paper: http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/15597/1/00-1301.pdf . The best models of the Earth's gravity are the EGM96 model (Goddard/Ohio State; multiple satellites; 360x360 model) and GRACE model (JPL/University of Texas, GRACE satellites; 160x160, 200x200 models).

The Earth (and Moon to a lesser extent) are not rigid bodies. The Earth is plastic and is thus deformed by lunar and solar gravity. (Google "Tidal Love numbers" for more info; beware the junk when googling for love.) On the Earth, ice builds up in the winter, melts in the summer. The tidal and seasonal effects show up as time variations in the spherical harmonic coefficients.

Another great link, thanks!

BTW, speaking of deformations due to "body forces", in a thread called "What is the Theory of Elasticity?" in the relativity subforum at PF, I have been slowly working through some background on linear elasticity, hoping to eventually get to nonlinear elasticity and then relativistic elasticity. I might mention a bit about plasticity too. The goal is to provide background for a thread in which pervect, myself, and Greg Egan studied in detail a relativistic rotating hoop, an infamously tricky problem.

Last edited:

1. What is orbital mechanics?

Orbital mechanics is a branch of physics and astronomy that studies the motion of objects in space, particularly how they move in relation to each other and their surroundings.

2. How does NASA launch probes into space?

NASA uses rockets to launch probes into space. These rockets are typically multi-stage and use a combination of solid and liquid propellants to generate enough thrust to carry the probe into orbit.

3. What is the role of general relativity and special relativity in orbital mechanics?

General relativity and special relativity are theories that explain how gravity and motion work in the universe. In orbital mechanics, these theories are used to accurately calculate the trajectory of objects in space, taking into account the effects of gravity and the curvature of space-time.

4. How does NASA navigate probes in space?

NASA uses a combination of ground-based tracking systems and on-board computers to navigate probes in space. The ground-based systems send signals to the probe, which are then used to calculate the probe's position and velocity. The on-board computers use this information to make necessary course corrections.

5. What are some challenges of orbital mechanics for NASA?

Some challenges of orbital mechanics for NASA include accurately predicting and accounting for the effects of gravity, space debris, and solar radiation on probes and their trajectories. Additionally, the vast distances and long travel times involved in space missions require precise calculations and planning to ensure success.