How to select the best electronic products

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronic
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of purchasing decisions based on weight and brand loyalty. The participants discuss how additional features and technology in products may not necessarily equate to better quality, and how brand reputation and customer service can also play a role in decision making. They also mention the importance of using a product for its intended purpose, rather than being swayed by gimmicks or unnecessary features.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Something reminded me of this today so I thought to pass along a highly prized secret that until now was known only to myself, and a Hawaiian mechanic who provide me with this cherished insight to technology.

When making a purchase, and given two products that seem to be about equal in performance, how does one make that final purchasing decision? Price is not always an indicator of quality, and not many of us are qualified to make a technical judgment based on the claims of the manufacturer, so what should we use as the final measure of quality?

Buy the one that weighs the most.

As my friend pointed out, "it must have more stuff in it". Really it makes sense when you think about it and I have found this to be surprisingly true. Two immediate examples come to mind: My telephones. I now own two Motorola brand telephones - a wireless and a cell phone. They both weigh more than any similar phones I have owned, and they are both the best of each type that I have had as well...and I go through a lot of phones as a result of my home based, [often] travel intensive business.

Physics news on Phys.org
so the old mobiles ARE better! TAKE THAT everyone who reckons that my 3 year old mobile is weighty, outdated and useless. Ivan says it's better quality!

now, now, I said given equal performance...I guess I should have clarified this so as to include the state of the technology.

actually, my new Motorola cell does weigh more than my old Nokia...but for me old means six months.

Last edited:
well it is equal performance...you can call people...just like every other phone... you can text people... i don't see why colour screens and polyphonic tones or a CAMERA makes a phone better personally. It's just a ploy to drag gullible technophiles into parting with their hard earned cash.

I am talking about quality; mainly the sound quality, but for isolation [no interference], and drop outs as well. I don't get the perks that you mention. In fact, for now in Oregon at least, that next level of technolgy is of lower quality if we are interested in talking. Due to the fact that I often work in remote locations, in factories while surrounded by high power equipment and metal walls, and around high voltage, high power in general, I really give my cell phones a run for the money.

I am joking with you a little here, but it really does seem to work.

ok well it seems like here in England, they throw every random contraption they can into the mobile phones... next thing will probably be an electric toothbrush or something... its crazy how much they try and shove into such a tiny object.

It isn't that surprising. When you think about it, if two products perform the same function, they are probably using the same integrated circuits and components to get the functionality. There just aren't that many suppliers, and the quality difference isn't noticeable. The difference will be in things like heat-sinking, shielding, packaging - all things that affect weight more than the actual electronics.

Njorl

Exactly! When I thought about this, I stopped laughing at the idea.

It just amazes me, how much people are suckered into buying new bits of kit. I am sure these new phones arent as reliable, i mean my phone is bog-standard, and it has been hurled across the room on many an occasion. But my phone has lasted longer than anyones, it seems that if you sneeze too hard on these new phones they break, but people are STILL willing to fork out £250 for a new one, just cos it has a camera on it. Phones were good enough without a camera, and sold well enough and did the job fine, but stick a bit of useless equipment on it which would need Njorl's aforementioned adjustments, and people snap them up... Surely the more junk you cram into a small space, the more heat sinks would be needed, yes?

In the case of telephones, it would also seem that more electronics might be used for additional signal conditioning [this might be true for anything audio or video as well?]. Honestly, my new Motorola wireless is a beast - one of the heaviest phones I have owned in a long time, but it has almost no special features...by choice and for the very reasons that you mention chopnik. It is also unquestionably the best wireless we have ever owned.

Last edited:
While I am pitching Motorola, which is the best...you can't beat AT&T for national cell coverage. Also, they - AT&T - once DELETED over $1600 in charges because I made a mistake. I was on the road, on my cell constantly, and ran up over 2000 minutes beyond my plan's allotment for the month. I thought my new plan had unlimited long distance and roaming; it didn't. :eek: They simply enrolled me retroactively in an unlimited plan which effectively voided the charges. I am their most loyal customer!

Last edited:
My cell phone is very basic vanilla variety. It has no polyphonic ring tones, no color screen, and has only a blue backlight. It is rugged and reliable, and the only imperfection is a slightly bent antenna (cant have everything). It has no games, but if I needed games, id turn to my computer :)

yeah, that's what i like to hear! someone who uses a phone as a phone instead of a light support system!

I've found the most rewarding practice is brand loyalty. If a brand screws you don't buy from them again. I'm not talking about if the batteries don't last long don't buy from them again, I mean if you are left with a sour impression. If you feel the company has shown you or its customers disrespect, do NOT support their business. Unless it's a cable company because you have no choice. The same used to be true of phone companies but fortunately that's starting to change.

To borrow from Ivan's example, Motorola is a great company I've noticed because they are good at balancing between what a phone should do and what you don't really need. They're not trying to build a phone that sells really well, they're trying to build a phone that WORKS really well. If they're in it only to make money, you will lose money. If they're in it to establish and sustain a customer base, then it will be mutually beneficial.

However, just because a company is good at one thing doesn't mean they're good at another. Do your research every time you enter a new arena and make your choice accordingly. Generally companies don't change, if they made a crappy device before they will make another one now.

The only way to not get screwed when buying something you don't understand is either don't buy it or bring a friend who does understand it. Goes back to the whole "tyranny of choice" topic that's been going around lately I guess... Besides if you don't understand it when you buy it, what makes you think you'll be able to use it effectively when you get it? The research must be done eventually, might as well do it early and save yourself the stress.

jimmy p said:
ok well it seems like here in England, they throw every random contraption they can into the mobile phones... next thing will probably be an electric toothbrush or something... its crazy how much they try and shove into such a tiny object.
Hey! I like that idea! A cell phone with a built in electric toothbrush! Good one! :biggrin: :biggrin:

My step-father works for Motorola. If you'd heard some of the stories I have, I'm not so sure you'd invest a whole lot in Motorola...

cookiemonster

1. What factors should I consider when selecting an electronic product?

When choosing an electronic product, there are several key factors to consider. These include the brand reputation, product reviews and ratings, price, features and specifications, and warranty and customer service. It is important to research and compare these factors to determine which product best fits your needs and budget.

2. How do I determine the quality of an electronic product?

The quality of an electronic product can be determined by its build, materials used, and overall performance. Look for products made with durable materials and check for any certifications such as ISO or UL. Reading reviews from other users can also provide insight into the quality of a product.

3. Should I purchase the latest model or opt for an older version of the electronic product?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and budget. The latest model may have updated features and better performance, but it also comes at a higher price. Older versions may be more affordable, but they may lack some of the newer features. Consider your needs and budget before making a decision.

4. Is it important to buy electronic products from a reputable brand?

Yes, buying from a reputable brand can ensure that you are getting a high-quality product with good customer service and warranty options. Reputable brands also often have better product research and development, resulting in more reliable and efficient products.

5. How do I compare different electronic products?

To compare different electronic products, start by making a list of the key features and specifications that are important to you. Then, research and compare these factors for each product. You can also read reviews and ratings from other users to get a better understanding of the product's performance and quality. Don't forget to also consider the price and warranty options when making your comparisons.