Is Memorizing the Periodic Table Necessary?

I didn't know that Mendeleev probably knew the periodic table from memory. Many people have memorized portions of the periodic table, but it is not necessary since it can easily be found online or printed out. Some people believe that having a good portion of the periodic table memorized can be useful in seeing trends and making connections between elements. However, others argue that it is not necessary or even valuable to memorize the entire table. Ultimately, it comes down to individual preference and need for the information.
jonegil
has anyone ever memorized the periodic table?

Physics news on Phys.org
mendeleev probably knew his from memory

Anyone got a good mnemonic gimmick for all those rare-earth elements? :uhh:

We had to memorize it when I was in junior high school. :yuck: But, there were a lot less elements on it back then. :uhh:

I always considered the periodic table a kind of map. The point of having a map is so you DON'T need to memorize the globe!:rolleyes:

I have not memorized the periodic table, but with time and experience one will naturally begin to remember the names/symbols/atomic weights of some of the most common elements. I have memorized a pretty good fraction of the periodic table…the elements I am always using.

I have heard from a friend that back when his dad was in college he had a test in which he was handed a blank periodic table and then asked to fill it in completely from memory…everything…including names/symbols/atomic number/atomic masses.
I really don’t see much educational value in that, but it is quite probably something which someone could do with enough practice (at least the names/symbols part I mean…the atomic weights is a different matter).

Back in high school chemistry we had to memorize the Alkali, Alkaline-Earth, Halogens, Nobel gasses, and few others elements and that was no big deal.

Last edited:
jonegil said:
My old physics professor has it memorized.

Pete

i think if you have it memorized it's easier to see the trends

What would be the point in memorizing such useless information? Thats the whole reason why its ordered in a table for you to look up.

Useless, I think not. I use the information on the periodic table everyday and it is not even my field of study.

I do think that there is some value in having portions of the periodic table memorized, just as one memorizes the multiplication tables, but I would not go so far as to advocate memorizing the entire table so that you could recreate it from scratch on a blank piece of paper.

Useless to memorize, I mean. You don't gain anything by memorizing a periodic table.

I hate the concept of memorization in general.

ice109 said:
i think if you have it memorized it's easier to see the trends

The table is already structured to show trends in orbitals and chemical properties.

Moonbear said:
We had to memorize it when I was in junior high school. :yuck: But, there were a lot less elements on it back then. :uhh:

Dinosaur days? :biggrin:

zzzzing

hey are you going to reply to my pm? :devil:

cyrusabdollahi said:
The table is already structured to show trends in orbitals and chemical properties.

like I've said before. having as much knowledge ready on a whim is very important. it could mean the difference between making the connection between two seemingly disparate things and making a discovery and completely missing something.

jonegil said:
It is not necessary since one can readily find it on-line or perhaps print one and put it on the wall. But with time, one can learn the groups, e.g. alkali, alkali earth, halides and noble gases.

http://www.webelements.com/

I have passively memorized atomic weights for some common elements in high school chem such as oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, iron, silver, blah the list goes on.

It definitely helps to a degree since you don't need to waste time looking everything up when you are doing calculations.

cyrusabdollahi said:
What would be the point in memorizing such useless information? Thats the whole reason why its ordered in a table for you to look up.
Spoken like a true engineer. :biggrin:

cronxeh said:
Dinosaur days? :biggrin:

zzzzing

hey are you going to reply to my pm? :devil:

We had already hunted all the dinosaurs for a huge dino roast by then. :rolleyes:

Gaahh...I forgot about that PM. :redface: Send me a reminder in a few weeks...I don't have any time to reply right now (I shouldn't even be here, but I need some breaks from grant writing to keep my brain from leaking out my ears).

I don't think memorizing the periodic table had any more value than any of the other things we had to memorize in junior high...nobody expects you to retain all of that information, but the ones you use most often stick, and the rest is at least familiar so you can generally look in the right places without having to look at every single element in the table to hunt for the one you need information on. Once you've finished learning the names of all the elements and their abbreviations (needed to find them on the periodic table), it really wasn't that big of a deal to remember them in the order listed on the table, which then gives you the atomic number and information on mass, structure, reactivity.

Mostly, memorizing something like that serves as a time-saver if you need the information often, and that's about it.

i had never seen that group..halides...it certainly corresponds to the "halogéneos" group in portuguese..(F,CL,Br,I and At) i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember trying to memorize it but I don't think I spent enough time in chemistry to know this particular table by heart. I suppose most chemists know it as well as you know your multiplication table, it has a comparable number of entries. It's just a question of needing the data or not: you memorize what you need on a regular basis.

jonegil said:
i had never seen that group..halides...it certainly corresponds to the "halogéneos" group in portuguese..(F,CL,Br,I and At) i guess.
The second from the last column (group 17) is referred to as the ‘Halogens’.
When these elements form binary salts with other elements, those salts fit into the group sometimes called ‘Halides’….the “Hal” part coming from “Halogen” and the “ide” part coming from the naming convention of a 2 element ionic compound. For example, Sodium Chloride.

oh...sorry about the previous blunder...i'm not used to "english chemestry"

Sorry about the use of 'halides'. Halogen would be the proper term in reference to that group in elemental form. :redface:

I think it would be useful to memorize symbols and atomic numbers but the rest you should just look up unless you really want to know it by heart

mrjeffy321 said:
Useless, I think not. I use the information on the periodic table everyday and it is not even my field of study.

I do think that there is some value in having portions of the periodic table memorized, just as one memorizes the multiplication tables, but I would not go so far as to advocate memorizing the entire table so that you could recreate it from scratch on a blank piece of paper.
that's what i thought; if a physicist/chemist used a periodic table on a daily basis it wouldn't take long to memorize it, but the person probably wouldn't think of it as memorization. memorizing it just for fun sounds like a waste of time though.

jonegil said:
oh...sorry about the previous blunder...i'm not used to "english chemestry"
chemestry... or chemystry... or alchymy :tongue2:

chemistry...not chemystry nor chemestry...and alchymy for moors XD

We are supposed to memorize the entire periodic table because we don't get the table during exams in high school.

really?...where are u from?

India. We memorize a lot of useless stuff like log values etc. as well.

shramana said:
India. We memorize a lot of useless stuff like log values etc. as well.

you guys don't have calculators that evaluates log?

gee...

ice109 said:
you guys don't have calculators that evaluates log?

We arent allowed to use calculators. Not in high school, not for any tests, not in class, for anything really. I think college is going to be the same to some extent. Vedic/mental mathematics is encouraged (and required actually if you want to pass).

We usually memorize the S/P/D/F block elements with their positions and atomic weights. Radioactive disintegration series. As far as log is concerned, log 2, 3, 5, 7 are memorized, and the "times tables" till twenty.

chaoseverlasting said:
We arent allowed to use calculators. Not in high school, not for any tests, not in class, for anything really. I think college is going to be the same to some extent. Vedic/mental mathematics is encouraged (and required actually if you want to pass).

We usually memorize the S/P/D/F block elements with their positions and atomic weights. Radioactive disintegration series. As far as log is concerned, log 2, 3, 5, 7 are memorized, and the "times tables" till twenty.

[tex]log_{10}(2,3,5,7)[/tex]?? or log base 2 etc? if the the former why those specific 4. wow we only memorize multiplication to 12

ice109, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are chosen because they are the first prime numbers.

moose said:
ice109, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are chosen because they are the first prime numbers.

Yeah. You can really simplify calculations and do them a lot faster if you know those log values. It really does make sense.

chaoseverlasting said:
Yeah. You can really simplify calculations and do them a lot faster if you know those log values. It really does make sense.

im totally memorizing those

<h2>1. Is memorizing the periodic table necessary for understanding chemistry?</h2><p>No, memorizing the periodic table is not necessary for understanding chemistry. While it can be helpful to have a general knowledge of the elements and their properties, it is more important to understand the underlying concepts and principles of chemistry.</p><h2>2. Will memorizing the periodic table make me a better scientist?</h2><p>Memorizing the periodic table may help with recalling specific elements and their properties, but it will not necessarily make you a better scientist. Being a good scientist involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and understanding how to apply knowledge, rather than just memorizing information.</p><h2>3. How long does it take to memorize the periodic table?</h2><p>The time it takes to memorize the periodic table varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as learning style, prior knowledge of chemistry, and dedication to studying. Some people may be able to memorize it in a few days, while others may take weeks or months.</p><h2>4. Is it possible to understand the periodic table without memorizing it?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to understand the periodic table without memorizing it. The periodic table is organized based on patterns and trends in the elements, so understanding these patterns can help with understanding the table as a whole. Additionally, there are resources available, such as reference sheets and online tools, that can assist with quickly finding specific information about elements.</p><h2>5. Why do some people recommend memorizing the periodic table?</h2><p>Some people may recommend memorizing the periodic table because it can be a helpful tool for quick recall of information about elements. It may also be useful for standardized tests or other situations where specific knowledge of elements is required. However, it is not necessary for a deep understanding of chemistry and should not be the sole focus of studying the subject.</p>

1. Is memorizing the periodic table necessary for understanding chemistry?

No, memorizing the periodic table is not necessary for understanding chemistry. While it can be helpful to have a general knowledge of the elements and their properties, it is more important to understand the underlying concepts and principles of chemistry.

2. Will memorizing the periodic table make me a better scientist?

Memorizing the periodic table may help with recalling specific elements and their properties, but it will not necessarily make you a better scientist. Being a good scientist involves critical thinking, problem-solving, and understanding how to apply knowledge, rather than just memorizing information.

3. How long does it take to memorize the periodic table?

The time it takes to memorize the periodic table varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as learning style, prior knowledge of chemistry, and dedication to studying. Some people may be able to memorize it in a few days, while others may take weeks or months.

4. Is it possible to understand the periodic table without memorizing it?

Yes, it is possible to understand the periodic table without memorizing it. The periodic table is organized based on patterns and trends in the elements, so understanding these patterns can help with understanding the table as a whole. Additionally, there are resources available, such as reference sheets and online tools, that can assist with quickly finding specific information about elements.

5. Why do some people recommend memorizing the periodic table?

Some people may recommend memorizing the periodic table because it can be a helpful tool for quick recall of information about elements. It may also be useful for standardized tests or other situations where specific knowledge of elements is required. However, it is not necessary for a deep understanding of chemistry and should not be the sole focus of studying the subject.