Acetone Volatility: Does it Leave Residue or Vanish?

In summary, when acetone is poured on the ground, it evaporates quickly without leaving any residue or smell. However, the purity of acetone can vary depending on the source, and using impure acetone, such as paint stripper acetone, can have potential risks for skin absorption. It is important to use gloves and pay attention to personal protection when handling chemicals.
Mr_Bojingles
When you pour some acetone on the ground and it evaporates does it leave any residue at all or does it vanish without a trace?

I love working with acetone because whenever I spill it on my hands I don't even have to wash them since it evaporates in a matter of seconds and doesn't even leave a smell on my hands.

Would I be right in assuming paint stripper acetone you buy in the hardware stores is relatively pure and evaporates without a trace when exposed to air?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Reagent grade acetone is relatively pure and is relatively expensive. The expense comes from the testing, hermetic container and purification to specification of the material. Sources of acetone that are somewhat less pure or difficult to purify might find their way to the paint or solvent market, but that is not always the case. In the case of paint stripper acetone, you are buying the bottom of the barrel stuff. It could be pure one day and contaminated the next. If the impurity doesn't adversely affect the paint stripping property, no harm done. So, its a crap shoot when you use paint stripper acetone as to its purity. Often water is the major impurity.

One note... acetone will defat your skin and allow anything dissolved in it or anything on your hand to be absorbed right through your skin. You might get away with washing your hands in it without any problems but in the long term it is much more likely that something bad could happen. Yeah, cancer and stuff...

USE GLOVES! (and live a little longer)

I didn't know that skin defatting detail about acetone. Can "any" chemical dissolved in it seep through your pours? What would you look for in the MSDS to see if a chemicals dangerous when absorbed through the skin? Most MSDS's tell you if a chemicals dangerous when ingested but it's not really the same thing is it?

Well, anything that is water-soluble and is capable of removing paint is a good candidate. DMSO, THF, diethyl ether, chloroform, methylene chloride and other polar solvents would be likely as well. DMSO is a special case and is used in some transdermal medicaments. You are supposed to be able to taste DMSO in your mouth within seconds after rubbing some on your hand. Hummmm, garlicky! Some surfactants can do this to some degree. Any solvents that you can smell on your breath or body after exposure are suspect, of course.

Pay attention to personal protection...

Thanks for the heads up.

1. What is acetone volatility?

Acetone volatility refers to the ability of acetone, a colorless and highly flammable liquid, to evaporate quickly at room temperature. This property is due to its low boiling point of approximately 56 degrees Celsius.

2. Does acetone leave residue?

No, acetone does not typically leave residue. Because it evaporates quickly, it does not have enough time to leave a visible residue. However, it is always important to thoroughly clean and dry the surface after using acetone to ensure complete removal.

3. Can acetone fully vanish?

Yes, acetone can fully vanish. As mentioned before, its volatility causes it to evaporate quickly and leave no trace behind. However, some materials such as plastics and certain metals may absorb small amounts of acetone, making it difficult for it to fully vanish in these cases.

4. Is acetone safe to use in a laboratory setting?

When used properly and with proper safety precautions, acetone is generally safe to use in a laboratory setting. However, it is highly flammable and should be stored and handled carefully. It is also important to avoid inhaling large amounts of acetone vapor, as it can be irritating to the respiratory system.

5. What surfaces can acetone be safely used on?

Acetone can be safely used on a variety of surfaces, including glass, metal, ceramic, and many plastics. However, it is important to always test a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure that the surface will not be damaged or discolored by the acetone. It is also not recommended to use acetone on painted or finished surfaces.