Which type of image does a solar oven and search light produce?

In summary, concave mirrors are used in both searchlights and solar ovens, but the type of image produced depends on the location of the object with respect to the focal point. The Bat Searchlight in Gotham City produces a real image, as seen with the Bat Symbol on the clouds, while the solar oven produces a virtual image, as the image of the sun cannot be seen. To determine the type of image produced, one must consider the object's location in relation to the focal point and the characteristics of real and virtual images.
leehom
Both use concave mirrors... however; I'm not sure which one produces a virtual image and which one produces a real image??

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the actual question: Concave mirrors are used in searchlights and solar ovens. Draw two diagrams to show the path of light in each case.

I'm not sure I know the right answer, but I'd start by remembering that you can see the Bat Symbol on the clouds when using the Bat Searchlight in Gotham City. And you can't see the image of the sun that is formed at the focus of a solar oven.

leehom said:
Both use concave mirrors... however; I'm not sure which one produces a virtual image and which one produces a real image??

Heres a little hit:

Since a concave mirror can produce both real and virtual images. Surely the type of image produced has something to do with regards to how the object is located with respect to the focal point. One needs to ask the question; what are the distinguishing characteristics of these types of images.

Last edited:
So far, I've figured out that the object is placed at the focal point for the car headlight... and I'm guessing that the object in a solar oven would be beyond the centre of curvature

I'm thinking that the OP and I should stop guessing. Anybody got an optics textbook handy?

1. How does a solar oven work?

A solar oven uses the sun's energy to heat up and cook food. The oven is typically made up of reflective materials that concentrate sunlight onto a dark-colored container, which then absorbs the heat and cooks the food inside.

2. Can a solar oven be used during cloudy days?

Yes, a solar oven can still be used during cloudy days. Although the cooking time may be longer, the oven can still harness the sun's energy even on cloudy days.

3. How hot can a solar oven get?

A solar oven can reach temperatures of up to 350°F (177°C), depending on the intensity of sunlight and the design of the oven. This is hot enough to cook most types of food.

4. What materials are needed to make a solar oven?

A solar oven can be made using simple materials such as cardboard, foil, and a clear plastic sheet. Other materials like a black pot or pan, insulation, and glue may also be used to improve the efficiency of the oven.

5. What is a search light and how does it work?

A search light is a powerful light source used to illuminate large areas or to search for objects or people in the dark. It typically consists of a high-intensity bulb, a reflector, and a lens to concentrate and direct the light in a specific direction.