Looking for a career/college

• Thread starter Capt_Jet23
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is a high school junior seeking help with their ACT score and ideas for colleges in the fields of quantum physics, theoretical physics, and/or nuclear engineering. They express a strong desire for knowledge and are open to suggestions, regardless of location. They emphasize the importance of learning and express a preference for attending college for the sake of gaining knowledge rather than for career or financial reasons.
Capt_Jet23
looking for a career/college please help

okay guys, I am going to be a junior in high school and i REALLY need help with this...im taking the ACT again in november, and i should be getting about a 30-32 on it this time (got a 29 a few months ago) and I am looking foreward to a career in quantum physics, theoretical physics, and/or nuclear engineering. i really need ideas for colleges/universities and some help getting started. any websites/books or anything that you could suggest to help me learn more i would enjoy SOO MUCH. oh and for college, location and stuff doesn't matter...im open to any suggestions...

please help...

Physics news on Phys.org
You should not concentrate all of your effort on a test. Learn the subjects. If you did not learn them well enough for the ACT purposes, study the subjects again. In the worst case, if you consider not passing ACT to be worst case, you could just attend a community college, build up some academic concepts, earn good grades (by studying hard and LEARNING), and you will very much improve your chances of getting into a good undergraduate college.

you misunderstand me... i love to learn. that is the only reason i really want to go to college. i could care less about money and jobs and stuff. i just want the knoledge. i was just posting my ACT stuff as sort of guidelines to help anyone who wants to give me college ideas (those are what i really need right now). I am trying to learn as much as i can about evverything in class, but they can only teach me so much (and frankly, its not enough). if anyone can help, i would be much obliged.

1. What types of careers can I pursue with a degree in science?

A degree in science can lead to a variety of careers, such as research scientist, healthcare professional, environmental consultant, data analyst, science teacher, and many more. The specific career options will depend on your field of study and specialization within science.

2. How do I choose the right college for a career in science?

When considering colleges for a career in science, it is important to research the faculty and their areas of expertise, the available resources and facilities for hands-on learning, internship and research opportunities, and the curriculum for your desired major. It is also helpful to visit the campus and speak with current students and alumni to get a feel for the atmosphere and post-graduation success rates.

3. Are there any specific courses or skills that I should focus on for a successful science career?

To have a successful career in science, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science courses, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, courses in communication, research methods, and computer science can also be beneficial. It is also important to have a passion for learning and the ability to adapt to new technologies and advancements in the field.

4. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a science career?

When choosing a science career, it is important to consider your personal interests and strengths, as well as the job market and demand for your chosen field. It is also important to consider the potential for job growth and salary, work-life balance, and the potential for further education and career advancement.

5. How can I prepare for a career in science while still in high school?

To prepare for a career in science while in high school, it is important to take challenging courses in math and science, as well as participate in extracurricular activities related to your interests in science. You can also volunteer or intern at local science organizations or research labs to gain hands-on experience and network with professionals in the field. Additionally, studying for and taking standardized tests, such as the SAT or ACT, can also help prepare you for college and future science career opportunities.