Definition of Derivative

In summary, to find the derivative of f(x) = 1/x^2 using the Definition of the Derivative, we first set up the formula f'(a) = lim h->0 [f(a+h) - f(a)] / h and then substitute in the given function. After simplifying, we get f'(a) = lim h->0 (2x + h) / (x^{4} + 2x^{3}h + x^{2}h^{2}). Finally, taking the limit and simplifying further, we get the derivative as f'(a) = -2/x^3.
antinerd

Homework Statement

Find the derivative using the Definition of the Derivative:

f(x) = 1 / x^2

Homework Equations

The Definition:

f`(a) = lim h->0 [f(a+h) - f(a)] / h

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did:

f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex](1/(x+h)^{2}) - 1/x^{2}) / (h)[/tex]

f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex][((x^{2}) - 1 (x^{2} + 2xh + h^{2})) / x^{2}(x^{2} + 2xh + h^{2})] / h[/tex]

f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex](2x + h) / (x^{4} + 2x^{3}h + x^{2}h^{2})[/tex]

and finally

f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex]2 / x^{3}[/tex]

So I got that as the derivative, and if I did it correctly it should be right. Did I use the definition properly?

Physics news on Phys.org
lol nevermind I am a retard i figured it out... sigh so much typing for nothing

antinerd said:
f`(a) = lim h->0 [tex](2x + h) / (x^{4} + 2x^{3}h + x^{2}h^{2})[/tex]

Should be

[tex]f'(a) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{-(2x + h)}{(x^{4} + 2x^{3}h + x^{2}h^{2})}[/tex]

Also when you get to the final answer [itex]\frac{-2}{x^3}[/itex] you already took the limit so the answer is just:

[tex]f'(a) = \frac{-2}{x^3}[/tex]

Because:
[tex]f'(a) = \lim_{h \to 0} \frac{-(2x + 0)}{(x^{4} + 2x^{3}*0 + x^{2}*0^{2})}[/tex]
[tex]f'(a) = \frac{-2x}{x^{4}}[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the definition of derivative?

The derivative of a function at a specific point is the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point.

How is the derivative calculated?

The derivative is calculated using the limit definition of derivative, which involves taking the limit as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using derivative rules such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

What is the geometric interpretation of a derivative?

The geometric interpretation of a derivative is the slope of the tangent line to the function at a specific point. It represents the rate of change of the function at that point and can also be thought of as the instantaneous velocity of a moving object represented by the function.

What is the relationship between derivatives and slopes?

The derivative of a function at a specific point is equal to the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point. This means that the derivative can be used to find the slope of a curve at any point, even if the function is not a straight line.

How is the derivative used in real-world applications?

The derivative is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It can be used to analyze and model the behavior of a system, optimize functions, and calculate rates of change in real-world situations.