Affordable Textbook Printing Options: Spiral Binding & Black and White Printing

In summary: It's Apostol Volume I. I found one used online, and I'm settling for that.The Kinkos and other reproduction stores that I use for various tasks are generally very responsible about checking copyright isses on the work that they take on. What is the copyright situation for the copy that you want to make?Also, if the work is copyrighted and you are short on money, look around for a used copy of the book. Have you checked E-Bay?www.cheapbooks.com , look up the isbn on amazon first
dtl42
OK I have a need to print a textbook out, mainly because I cannot locate it for cheap anywhere. It is 690 pages and would just need to be spiral bound or something. It doesn't have to be fancy paper or anything crazy, just black and white, double sided, the normal stuff.

I was thinking maybe I would go to the UPS store, only because there's one right in town and it'd be very convenient. I just need some options for pricing, because it's really not worth it if its more than $50. So... anyone with experience in doing this, if you could just relay what you had done and how much it cost, that would be fantastic. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have an electronic copy of a non-copyrighted book? It would be illegal to reproduce a copyrighted book.

printing it anywhere other than on your own laser printer will cost so much money. get a used b&w laser printer.

Yes, please respect the copyright on the book, if applicable. Remember that you are likely to write a book or produce some music in your future, and you will want to be compensated honestly by your fans and users for that.

The Kinkos and other reproduction stores that I use for various tasks are generally very responsible about checking copyright isses on the work that they take on. What is the copyright situation for the copy that you want to make?

Also, if the work is copyrighted and you are short on money, look around for a used copy of the book. Have you checked e-Bay?

Last edited:
Alright, I understand the copyright stuff, and I will look into that. I checked E-Bay and that's not an option, and I can't find a cheap, used copy from any of my regular sites. But does anyone have a specific pricing?

www.cheapbooks.com , look up the isbn on amazon first

personally i think intellectual property is an oxymoron

berkeman said:
Remember that you are likely to write a book or produce some music in your future, and you will want to be compensated honestly by your fans and users for that.
I don't think he is going to be making any money off selling a production or copy of the book that someone(s) else is responsible for producing.

berkeman said:
Yes, please respect the copyright on the book, if applicable. Remember that you are likely to write a book or produce some music in your future, and you will want to be compensated honestly by your fans and users for that.

The Kinkos and other reproduction stores that I use for various tasks are generally very responsible about checking copyright isses on the work that they take on. What is the copyright situation for the copy that you want to make?

Also, if the work is copyrighted and you are short on money, look around for a used copy of the book. Have you checked e-Bay?

How is the author going to be compensated if he buys a used copy of the book?

Also, the OP didn't explain why he needed a copy of the book. Do you need the actual book, or do you just need information from the book. The library would be an option, especially if you only need to read parts of the book.

I think Berkeman was just explaining that copyright laws are intended to protect the author from illegal reproduction of their work.

BobG said:
How is the author going to be compensated if he buys a used copy of the book?

Also, the OP didn't explain why he needed a copy of the book. Do you need the actual book, or do you just need information from the book. The library would be an option, especially if you only need to read parts of the book.

copyright laws don't follow selling a used book (or cd's, etc.)

What's the name of the book, author, year (edition), publisher, and language?

It's Apostol Volume I. I found one used online, and I'm settling for that.

Get the entire apostol set in paperback for $30 on ebay or get just vol.1 for $15, it's paperback, but the text is the same and I doubt your printer can spit out a hard cover anyway ;-). Anyways, just ink and paper would come to about $15 for a 600+ pg book, even if it's only b&w. (oops I see this is what you already chose to do. Good :-) :redface:

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings on copyright. On the one hand, it's definitely necessary to encourage creativity. On the other, copyright terms are far too long. 70 years past the death of the author? No way: it shouldn't last a day past the author's death. Sorry, but someone's great-great-grandchildren shouldn't get to profit from something that they wrote when they were 25.

Likes gn0m0n

1. How do you print a textbook?

Printing a textbook involves several steps. First, the content of the textbook must be written and edited. Then, the book is formatted and designed with images and layout. Next, the book is sent to a printing company where the pages are printed and bound together. Finally, the finished books are shipped to the desired location.

2. What is the most common printing method used for textbooks?

The most common printing method used for textbooks is offset printing. This method uses a printing plate to transfer ink onto the paper, resulting in high-quality and cost-effective printing.

3. How long does it take to print a textbook?

The length of time it takes to print a textbook can vary depending on the size and complexity of the book, as well as the printing company's schedule. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for a textbook to be printed and shipped.

4. Can textbooks be printed in color?

Yes, textbooks can be printed in color. However, due to the high cost of color printing, most textbooks are printed in black and white to keep costs down for students.

5. What are the factors that affect the cost of printing a textbook?

The cost of printing a textbook can be affected by several factors, including the size and length of the book, the type of paper and cover materials used, the printing method, and the quantity of books being printed. Color printing and rush orders may also increase the cost.