Problem reading words correctly

• Medical
  • Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary: It depends on how different the word appears to be from what it actually is. If the word "presentation" is read as the similar looking word, "penetration", for example, I would guess you have been fatigued lately, that you may need glasses, or, if you already have glasses, may need to have your prescription updated. In summary, if you are experiencing difficulty reading words correctly, you should see a doctor.
Werg22
For the past months or so I've been having increasing difficulty to read words correctly; a word appears like another and I process it as so. Only upon a second lecture do I realize that I wasn't reading the word(s) right. I am curious because, like I insinuated, this difficulty has been developing over a relatively recent period of time. Should I look for the opinion of a medical authority?

Biology news on Phys.org
Werg22 said:
For the past months or so I've been having increasing difficulty to read words correctly; a word appears like another and I process it as so. Only upon a second lecture do I realize that I wasn't reading the word(s) right. I am curious because, like I insinuated, this difficulty has been developing over a relatively recent period of time. Should I look for the opinion of a medical authority?

It depends on how different the word appears to be from what it actually is. If the word "presentation" is read as the similar looking word, "penetration", for example, I would guess you have been fatigued lately, that you may need glasses, or, if you already have glasses, may need to have your prescription updated.

If the word appears to be something completely dissimilar, if the word "science" can be read as something as dissimilar from it as the word "heron", for example, then I think it would be a good idea to see a doctor.

I would be a little concerned and watch out for other symptoms such as excessive sleepiness, nausea, etc. A friend of mine experienced such symptoms and woke up one morning not knowing his own name. The doctors removed a brain tumor that day.

Now don't give me scares like that... I don't feel any of the symptoms you mentioned.

i've had the same problem. it was due to being on the computer too much, hardly any real-life interactions.

i began to have slurred speech ... then came lite headaches.

if you're a computer junky, be careful. it took me like an entire year to pull myself out of that hole ... however, it turned my life around, now I'm a studying junky :) education has saved my brain ... my life.

I'm not... I read most of the time.

Werg22 said:
YES. Any time you experience a sudden change like this you should seek medical advice. It could be nothing, but it's better to check.

I agree with Evo. There's probably nothing wrong with you, but the stakes here are too high to just hope it goes away. Plus, if it's nothing, you've spent a little bit of money to purchase peace of mind.

----
Please take a moment for science at http://coglanglab.org

I've found that spending prolonged periods of time reading I will tend to gloss over words and read them slightly differently. I'm dyslexic though so that likely plays a part. Getting your vision checked first may be best. I'm assuming a doctor would likely say the same considering cost of testing and lack of other obvious symptoms.

On a side note I can't seem to easily track down anything on late developing dyslexia. Does anyone know if it's possible and how that might happen if it is?

TheStatutoryApe said:
I've found that spending prolonged periods of time reading I will tend to gloss over words and read them slightly differently. I'm dyslexic though so that likely plays a part. Getting your vision checked first may be best. I'm assuming a doctor would likely say the same considering cost of testing and lack of other obvious symptoms.

On a side note I can't seem to easily track down anything on late developing dyslexia. Does anyone know if it's possible and how that might happen if it is?

Dyslexia isn't my main area of research, but I have done a few projects on the topic. However, all of that has dealt with developmental dyslexia, not adult-onset dyslexia. The only type of adult-onset dyslexia I know of is typically the result of a stroke. It differs from developmental dyslexia in a few ways. For one thing, there are at least two types of adult-onset dyslexia, so-called "surface dyslexia," which seems to be an impairment in sight-words (things like "yacht"), and "deep dyslexia," which seems to involve more phonological processing (reading "cat"). There is a lot of debate as to whether there are sub-types of developmental dyslexia, but most people seem to conclude that most or all developmental dyslexics have something similar to deep dyslexia. Of course, adult-onset impairments tend to be different than early-onset impairments, because your brain's ability to adapt and change decreases with age. Therefore, children with impairments are more likely to develop compensatory mechanisms and strategies.

---
Please take a moment to participate in an experiment: http://coglanglab.org

1. What is the cause of problem reading words correctly?

The most common cause of problem reading words correctly is a learning disability called dyslexia. Other possible causes include vision problems, language processing disorders, and brain injuries.

2. How do you diagnose problem reading words correctly?

A comprehensive evaluation by a trained professional, such as a neuropsychologist or educational psychologist, is needed to diagnose problem reading words correctly. This may include assessments of reading skills, cognitive abilities, and language processing.

3. Can problem reading words correctly be treated?

Yes, there are various interventions and accommodations that can help individuals with problem reading words correctly. These may include specialized reading programs, assistive technology, and modifications to the learning environment.

4. Is problem reading words correctly the same as being a slow reader?

No, problem reading words correctly is not the same as being a slow reader. While individuals with problem reading words correctly may also read slowly, it is not the main characteristic of the disorder. Problem reading words correctly involves difficulty with accurately and fluently recognizing words.

5. Can problem reading words correctly be outgrown?

No, problem reading words correctly is a lifelong condition. However, with appropriate interventions and support, individuals can learn to compensate for their difficulties and improve their reading skills.