What is the vertical height between two climbers?

In summary, the rock climber throws a first aid kit with an initial velocity of 11 m/s at an angle of 65 degrees above the horizontal. When caught, the kit is traveling horizontally and has a vertical speed of 0. Using the equations of kinematics, the vertical height between the two climbers is calculated to be 5.1 meters. The climber also learns the importance of showing effort and working through a problem rather than just writing down the answer.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

A rock climber throws a small first aid kit to another climber who is higher up the mountain. The initial velocity of the kit is 11 m/s at an angle of 65 degrees above the horizontal. At the instant when the kit is caught, it is traveling horizontally, so it's vertical speed is zero. What is the vertical height between the 2 climbers.

Initial Velocity=11 m/s
Angle above horizontal=65 degrees
Vertical speed=0

Homework Equations

equations of kinematics

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show some work and effort on one's part.

Initial Velocity=11 m/s

Determine the horizontal and vertical velocity components.

The horizontal velocity is constant if one ignores air resistance. The kit decelerates as it travels vertically.

Refer to -
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html#tra5

Here is what I did. I used the equation y=h=Vy^2 - Voy^2/ 2 (Ay)

Then I used the values I had h=(0m/s)^2 - (11 m/s)^2/ 2 (-9.8m/s^2) = 6.1 meters

The answer is 5.1 meters what did I do wrong

vy0 is not 11 m/s.

v0 = 11 m/s.

Resolve v0 into vy0 and vx0

Think about sin and cos of the angle with respect to horizontal.

ok Vy0=11 sin 65=10 m/s
and Vx0=11 cos 65=4.6 m/s

Now what do I do

Ok so it's h=0 m/s)^2 - 10 m/s) ^2/2 *-9.8 m/s^2=5.1

Did I do it right

Yes! :cool:

Thank you Astronuc. It feels good learning how to solve a problem. Instead of just writing down the answer.

Thanks!

Thanks so much, I had the same problem. Ironically, I had split it up into components already, just for some reason I hadn't added it into the formula as my VoY, I was still using the old Vo vector.

Thanks!

1. What is the definition of vertical height?

Vertical height is the measurement of the distance from the base of an object to its highest point in a straight line perpendicular to the base.

2. How is vertical height different from horizontal height?

Vertical height is measured along a vertical axis, while horizontal height is measured along a horizontal axis. Vertical height is used to describe the height of an object, while horizontal height is used to describe its width or length.

3. Can vertical height be negative?

Yes, vertical height can be negative if the base of an object is below the reference point or ground level. This indicates that the object is below the reference point.

4. How is vertical height used in physics?

In physics, vertical height is used to calculate the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the vertical height.

5. How is vertical height measured?

Vertical height is typically measured using a measuring device such as a ruler, tape measure, or laser level. The reference point for the measurement is usually the ground or a known reference point on the object.