Extending an Operator to Tensor Fields: Problem 5-15

In summary: Fi (DDVj + DFi DVj) + ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi (DVDj + DFi VDj) = DD(T) + D(TD) + D(DT) = DD(T) + ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi (DVDj + DFi VDj) + ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi (VDj + DFj DVj) = DD(T) + D(TD) + D(DT) = DD(T) + D(TD) +
joe2317
I have a following problem.

Let D be an operator taking the C^oo functions F to F, and the C^oo vector fields V to V, such that D:F-->F and
D:V-->V, are linear over R(real) and
D(f Y) = f * DY+Df * Y. Here * is a multiplication

Show that D has a unique extension to an operator taking tensor fields of type(k, l) to themselves such that
(1) D is linear over R(real).
(2) D(A $ B)= DA $ B+ A $ DB. Here $ is a tensor product.
(3) for any contraction C, DC=CD.

If you have Spivak's geometry book. This is a problem 5-15.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution: Let T be a tensor field of type (k,l). We can write T as a linear combination of tensor products of vector fields V1,...,Vm and scalar functions F1,...,Fn. Let D be the given operator, then we have D(T) = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijD(FiVj) = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aij (FiDVj + DFiVj) = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aij (FiDVj + FiVDj) = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi (DVj + VDj) = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi (DVj + VDj) = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi (DVj + VDj) = DT + TD where DT and TD are defined asDT = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi DVjTD = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi VDj Now we note that DT and TD are both linear over R. Thus, by the linearity of D, we have D(T) = DT + TD = D(∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi DVj) + D(∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijFi VDj) = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijD(Fi DVj) + ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aijD(Fi VDj) = ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aij(Fi DDVj + DFi DVj) + ∑i=1m ∑j=1n aij(Fi DVDj + DFi VDj)

The problem given is asking to extend an operator, denoted as D, to tensor fields of type (k, l) in a way that satisfies certain properties. The notation used, such as C^oo functions and tensor product, may seem unfamiliar, but we can break down the problem to understand it better.

Firstly, we are given that D is an operator that maps C^oo functions (smooth functions) to themselves, and C^oo vector fields (smooth vector fields) to themselves. This means that D takes in a function or a vector field and outputs another function or vector field, respectively. We are also told that D is linear over the real numbers, meaning it follows the properties of linearity, such as D(af) = aD(f) for any real number a and function f.

Next, we are given the condition that D(fY) = f*DY + Df*Y, where * denotes multiplication. This means that when D is applied to a function multiplied by a vector field, it is equal to the product of the function and the operator applied to the vector field, plus the product of the derivative of the function and the vector field.

Now, we are asked to show that D can be extended to an operator that takes in tensor fields of type (k, l) and outputs another tensor field of the same type. This extension must also satisfy three conditions:

1. D must still be linear over the real numbers.
2. D must follow the property of the tensor product, where D(A $ B) = DA $ B + A $ DB.
3. D must also satisfy the condition for any contraction C, where DC = CD.

To extend D to tensor fields, we can define D on a tensor field A of type (k, l) as D(A) = D(A^i_j...^k_l) = D(A^i_j...^k_l), where the indices indicate the components of the tensor field. This definition ensures that D is still linear over the real numbers, as the properties of linearity hold for each component.

Next, we can show that D satisfies the property of the tensor product by using the definition of D and the given condition D(fY) = f*DY + Df*Y. When applied to tensor fields A and B, we have D(A $ B) = D(A^i_j...^k_l * B^m_n...^p_q

1. What is the purpose of extending an operator to tensor fields?

The purpose of extending an operator to tensor fields is to be able to perform operations on tensor fields, which are multidimensional quantities that can be defined at every point in space. This allows for more complex and sophisticated calculations and analysis in the field of mathematics and physics.

2. What is the significance of Problem 5-15 in extending operators to tensor fields?

Problem 5-15 is a specific problem that involves extending an operator to tensor fields in a particular way. It serves as an important example and exercise for understanding the concepts and techniques involved in this process.

3. Can operators be extended to tensor fields of any dimension?

Yes, operators can be extended to tensor fields of any dimension. However, the process may become more complex and involve higher level mathematics as the dimensionality increases.

4. How is extending an operator to tensor fields useful in real-world applications?

Extending an operator to tensor fields is useful in various real-world applications, especially in the fields of physics and engineering. It allows for more accurate and precise calculations and simulations, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and elasticity.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in extending operators to tensor fields?

Yes, there can be limitations and challenges in extending operators to tensor fields. This process may involve complicated mathematical concepts and techniques, and may not always be applicable or feasible in certain scenarios.