Velocity vs time graph to distance vs time graph

In summary, you would take a velocity vs time graph and draw a diagonal line from the origin to the top right hand corner, representing the position of the object at any given time. Then, you would take a distance vs time graph and draw a line from the origin to the bottom left hand corner, representing the distance the object has traveled.
james_
how do i take a velocity vs time graph and make it a distance vs time graph?
thanks for your help, here's the exact question

"Using the velocity vs time graphs, sketch the distance vs time graph for each of the graphs that you matched."

i need to do this question for a lab i didnt do in class. thank you again.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an elementary calculus problem - distance is the indefinite integral of velocity with respect to time.

For an approximate distance solution (within a constant), just take each value of velocity and multiply it by a corresponding small interval of time. These resultant intervals of distance are then summed from where time equals zero (thus subtracting out the constant).

In graphing, this is a common item and there is a simple technique.
Use graph paper with little boxes (like quad paper). Plot velocity vs time on the paper, using equal divisions. So, presumably you know that x = vt. Look at each small box on the graph paper and ask yourself what is the area of that box? At least figure out the units of the area. Come back and let us know.

Integrals if you have equation.

Otherwise, idk.

I am having trouble with this same question. The question shows the picture i included in the attachment and ask you to sketch a position verse time graph?

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 769
If you are converting a dt graph to vt then you have to remember that vt graphs to not have curved lines. If the dt graph shows uniform motion (straight line) then it should look like a bar graph on the vt graph. If the dt graph has curves then they are represented by diagonal lines.

vt graphs can have curved lines, actually, it just means they don't have constant acceleration.

If you don't know how to do integrals, I think the process they probably want is for you to find the area under the graph. You can do it in pieces, the more pieces you have the more accurate it is, but like six should do I should think. Depends on how many data points you have, I guess?

zach3535 said:
I am having trouble with this same question. The question shows the picture i included in the attachment and ask you to sketch a position verse time graph?

This one can just be a diagonal line from the origin towards the top right hand corner, since it doesn't have any axis labels :)

1. What is a velocity vs time graph?

A velocity vs time graph is a graphical representation of the change in velocity of an object over time. The velocity is plotted on the y-axis, while time is plotted on the x-axis.

2. How is a velocity vs time graph related to a distance vs time graph?

A velocity vs time graph can be used to create a distance vs time graph by finding the area under the curve of the velocity vs time graph. This is because velocity is the rate of change of distance over time, so the area under the curve represents the total change in distance over a specific time interval.

3. What does the slope of a velocity vs time graph represent?

The slope of a velocity vs time graph represents the acceleration of an object. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a slower acceleration.

4. How can you determine the displacement of an object from a velocity vs time graph?

The displacement of an object can be determined by finding the area under the curve of the velocity vs time graph. This is because the area represents the change in distance, or displacement, of the object over a specific time interval.

5. Can a velocity vs time graph be used to determine the speed of an object?

No, a velocity vs time graph cannot directly determine the speed of an object. However, the speed can be calculated by finding the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on the graph, which represents the instantaneous velocity at that point.