What Causes Lead & Mercury Poisoning in Humans?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of lead and mercury poisoning in the human body. The topic is not easy and there are different opinions on the level of toxicity and the amount of exposure that can be considered harmful. Some sources suggest that even small doses of mercury can be harmful, while others argue that it is harmless in small amounts. Both lead and mercury can affect the cell membrane structure, particularly in developing neurons, and can potentially build up in the body.
hover
Hey everyone,

I have a question about lead and mercury poisoning in the human body. What actually happens in the human body that causes lead and mercury to be poisonous?

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
I'm no expert, but i think mercury ions affect the cell membrane struture of developing neurons.
i saw a very informatiove clip on mercury neurotoxicity from the university of calgary,

This isn't an easy topic, it depends who you speak to. Ask a drug company, they'll agree that it is highly neurotoxic, but in small doses is harmless (becuase they put it in vaccines), but some scientists say that mercury has the capability to build up in a person, so I'm not sure what to believe about mercury these days. The establishment opinion is that in very small doses its ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok i know its a heavy element that is desipated in the cell membrane so the cell can't face this damage and can't remove it from it's membrane ,

specially in the brain cells and lungs cells ...,

1. What are the main sources of lead and mercury poisoning in humans?

The main sources of lead and mercury poisoning in humans are contaminated water, food, and air. Lead can also be found in old paint, toys, and some cosmetics, while mercury can be found in certain fish and dental amalgams.

2. How does lead and mercury enter the human body?

Lead and mercury can enter the human body through ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin. Ingestion is the most common route, as contaminated food and water are the main sources of exposure.

3. What are the symptoms of lead and mercury poisoning?

The symptoms of lead and mercury poisoning can vary depending on the level of exposure and individual susceptibility. Common symptoms include fatigue, nausea, abdominal pain, memory loss, and in severe cases, neurological and developmental effects.

4. How do lead and mercury affect the human body?

Lead and mercury can have harmful effects on various systems in the human body, including the nervous, cardiovascular, and reproductive systems. They can also impair cognitive function and cause developmental delays in children.

5. Can lead and mercury poisoning be treated?

Yes, lead and mercury poisoning can be treated through a process called chelation therapy. This involves administering medications that bind to the toxic metals and help the body eliminate them. However, prevention is the best approach to avoid lead and mercury poisoning in the first place.