Laplace Transform of e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1)

In summary, to find the Laplace transform of e^(-t) cos 2t u(t-1), the limits of integration should be changed to go from 1 to infinity due to the presence of the step function u(t-1). To evaluate the resulting integral, a trigonometry identity may be used, and the "t" in the function should be changed to t-1. This can be done by setting t-1=0, which results in t=1.
Moneer81

Homework Statement

What is the laplace transform of e^(-t) cos 2t u(t-1)

Homework Equations

definition of Laplace transform: LT of f(t) = integral of f(t)e^-st dt, where limits of integration are from 0 to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

since I have u(t-1) then do I just change the limits of integration to go from 1 to infinity instead?

then I guess what is the fastest way to evaluate the resulting integral:
integral of e^-(s+1)t cos 2t dt ?

Physics news on Phys.org
my hint is that the step function has a big influence on the limits of integration since the step function is zero to the left side of when the step function is one.

and then...maybe I am not sure, you could use a trigonometry identity

OK so I was right in changing the lower limit of integration from 0 to 1?

As far as the integral goes, for a similar problem in a book I was reading they ended up with an expression that was somehow obtained from the quotient rule of derivatives...

u(t-1)

take t - 1 = 0 -----> t = 1

but I am not sure if changing the limits of integration forces you to change the "t's" in the function.

ex. cos 2(t-1) and e^-((s+1)(t-1))

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and scientific fields to solve differential equations and analyze signals.

2. What is the function e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1)?

The function e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1) is a piecewise function that represents a decaying cosine wave that starts at t=1. It is often used to model systems with damping effects.

3. How do you find the Laplace Transform of e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1)?

To find the Laplace Transform of e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1), you can use the Laplace Transform table or apply the Laplace Transform formula. The result will be a function in the frequency domain.

4. What is the significance of the Laplace Transform of e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1)?

The Laplace Transform of e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1) is often used in control systems and signal processing to analyze the frequency response of a system. It can also be used to solve differential equations and determine stability of a system.

5. Can the Laplace Transform of e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1) be inverted?

Yes, the Laplace Transform of e^(-t)cos2t u(t-1) can be inverted back to the time domain using the inverse Laplace Transform. This allows for the original function to be recovered and analyzed in the time domain.