Why Straight Lines? Uncovering the Theory Behind f(x,y)=0

In summary, the equation f(x,y) = x^2 - 4xy + 3y^2 can be graphed as two straight lines, y=x and y=x/3, with values of m equal to 1 or 1/3. This is because the equation is reducible and homogeneous of degree 2, resulting in the union of 2 lines. This is a simple example of algebraic geometry, and can be further explored in books such as "Algebraic Plane Curves" by Walker.
dodo
Given the real function [tex]f(x,y) = x^2 - 4xy + 3y^2[/tex], the equation f(x,y) = 0 shows in a graph as 2 straight lines, y=x and y=x/3. For pairs (x,y) between the lines, f(x,y) < 0; for (x,y) outside the lines, f(x,y) > 0.

It is easy to prove the above, by substituting y=mx in the equation f(x,y)=0 and finding the values of m (giving either 1 or 1/3). All the behavior above follows by playing with m.

The question is, why straight lines? What's the theory for choosing y=mx as the appropriate substitution?

Physics news on Phys.org
that equation is reducible, i.e. x^2 - 4xy +3y^2 = (x-y)(x-3y), and both factors are linear, i.e.describe lines. so the zero locus of the product is the union of the zero loci of those 2 lines.

one way to "know" it is going to consist of lines is to note that it is homogeneous of degree 2, i.e. all terms have total degree 2, so the origin is a double point, and the only degree 2 curve with a double point is the union of 2 lines.

thus in fact any curve with equation aX^2 + bXY + c Y^2 factors into 2 linear equations (over the complex numbers).

this is the very simplest beginning example of the algebraic geometry of plane curves. take a look at walker,
algebraic plane curves, for an elementary and concrete, yet deep and expert discussion.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks. I have to read (or google) some things to fully understand that, but it's a good start.

I take you mean "the product of two linear factors, (ax+by)", when you say "the union of 2 lines", here,
and the only degree 2 curve with a double point is the union of 2 lines.
(so they are actually two lines having a zero intercept, i.e. both passing through the origin).

One little follow-up: the locus of f(x,y)=c, for c a positive constant, is an ellipse, no matter how small c is. How come this degrades to two lines when =0? I'm trying to visualize horizontal slices on a 3D shape, but this beats me.

Dodo said:
One little follow-up: the locus of f(x,y)=c, for c a positive constant, is an ellipse, no matter how small c is. How come this degrades to two lines when =0? I'm trying to visualize horizontal slices on a 3D shape, but this beats me.
Oh, sorry, forget this last paragraph. Since B^2 > 4AC, this is an hyperbola, not an ellipse. I was confused due to a graph I made a few days ago, but in that case the cross-term coefficient B was -3, not -4.

Last edited:

What is the significance of straight lines in mathematics?

Straight lines are crucial in mathematics because they represent the simplest form of a geometric shape. They have properties that make them easy to study and understand, making them a fundamental building block for more complex shapes and concepts.

Why is the equation f(x,y)=0 used to represent straight lines?

The equation f(x,y)=0 is used to represent straight lines because it is a general form of the equation for a line, y=mx+b. By setting f(x,y) equal to 0, we eliminate the y variable and are left with an equation that only involves x, representing a vertical line. Similarly, setting f(x,y) equal to a constant would represent a horizontal line.

What is the relationship between the slope and y-intercept of a straight line?

The slope of a straight line is the ratio of the change in y-coordinates to the change in x-coordinates, or rise over run. The y-intercept is the point where the line crosses the y-axis. The slope and y-intercept are related by the equation y=mx+b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

Can the concept of straight lines be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the concept of straight lines can be extended to higher dimensions. In three-dimensional space, a straight line can be represented by an equation of the form f(x,y,z)=0. In higher dimensions, a straight line can be represented by an equation of the form f(x1,x2,...,xn)=0, where n is the number of dimensions.

What is the significance of straight lines in real-world applications?

Straight lines have numerous applications in the real world, such as in architecture, engineering, and physics. They are used to represent and analyze the motion of objects, design structures, and create accurate maps and diagrams. In addition, many real-world relationships can be modeled using straight lines, making them an important tool in various fields.