Acceleration/Velocity Problem

• Thread starter ian_durrant
  • Start date
In summary, two students are bouncing on a trampoline with Anne bouncing 2.61 times higher than Joan. To calculate the ratio of time between bounces, the equation y=V(0)t+ (1/2)gt^2 was used. However, due to a difference in frame of reference, negative values for time were obtained. This does not affect the overall calculation of the ratio, which can be simplified by canceling out the factor of 2 from both equations.
ian_durrant
[SOLVED] Acceleration/Velocity Problem

Homework Statement

Two students, Anne and Joan, are bouncing straight up and down on a trampoline. Anne bounces 2.61 times as high as Joan does. Assuming both are in free-fall, find the ratio of the time Anne spends between bounces to the time Joan spends.

Homework Equations

y=V(0)t+ (1/2)gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I figured that if Anne is jumping 2.61 times as high as Joan, I could set y (the displacement) as 2.61 for Anne and 1 for Joan. However I plugged the numbers into the equation and ended up getting a negative answer for my time, which doesn't make sense. Here's my equations that I used:

Anne-

2.61=(1/2)(-9.8)t^2
-.53=t^2

Joan-

1=(1/2)(-9.8)t^2
-.204=t^2

I figured what I would do after i got the time is to multiple them both by 2 since I only calcuated them returning for the highest point to lowest point, then plugging them into a ratio. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
right method, and you won't have to multiple both by 2 since the ratio will cancel that out anyway

good point about the ratio, but I'm still confused why I'm going to have a negative number for t, or would this not matter anyways?

Hi...

You might want to think twice about your frame of reference. I work well positive as up and negative is down. But it looks like you work the same way as well since your acceleration is negative. That would mean that your initial location is higher than your final. No matter where you make your y=0...y(initial)>y(final). That is why you are getting a negative.

thanks for all the help everyone

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are closely related, as acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. This means that when an object's acceleration changes, its velocity will also change.

3. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If an object has a constant acceleration, its velocity will change at a constant rate. This means that the object's motion will either speed up or slow down, depending on the direction of the acceleration.