Moving On From Beginner Guitar: What's Next?

In summary: If you want a REAL challenge on electric, start listening to Steve Vai.Steve Vai? I probably sound so green, Id give broccoli competition.
chaoseverlasting
Im learning to play the guitar, have a really nice sounding spanish acoustic guitar by gb&a. I can play chords pretty well, and play some leads too, but I don't know what songs to move on to. I've been able to play dance of death (a little slow on the leads), stairway to heaven, wish you were here, but don't know what else to play. Any suggestions as to what to move on to next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Free Bird

OMG, that's the most common response. Just go to a tab website and search the name of a musician you like. Eric Clapton has plenty of great acoustic stuff.

Free Bird... whom is it by?

I think the first song I learned to play on the guitar was "Knockin' On Heaven's Door". Any early Dylan or Leonard Cohen is great.

Whatever music you like to listen to is a great way to start.

chaoseverlasting said:
Free Bird... whom is it by?

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Last edited by a moderator:
Smoke on the water, duh! :tongue2:

I just bought myself a bass guitar. I've always wanted one and decided it would be a birthday gift to myself. As expected, I suck at it... but it's fun.

:smile: Yeah. I learned to play smoke on the water a while ago. I love playing the lead, but I am just not fast enough for it to sound right. Love GnR, knocking on heavens door is amazing! GnR is outta this world...

George Jones said:
Nice acoustic guitar song:

studio version
;

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/index.php?page=Pl_hcts" [Broken] on what the musician was up to;

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ABIHB1uJKQY" of live duet version from the first superstar charity concert.

Thank you! The notes really help.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should get an electric, I know some really cool songs for that.

Ive got an electric too, just don't have a processor. A basic amp and speaker...

Even basic amps should have a distortion channel on them. My crappy $50 amp has one.

Anything by the Gipsy Kings!

Djobi, Djoba is a personal favorite.

Math Jeans said:
Free Bird

I just about spit my coffee on my screen.

FredGarvin said:
I just about spit my coffee on my screen.

Lol. That was supposed to be a joke.

acoustic: My Name is Jonas

electric: (It depends if you can shred or not) Dragonforce has some pretty challenging shredding songs. The beginning of Through the Fire and Flames has some acoustic in it as well. It all depends on how well you can tremello pick and shred.

If you want a REAL challenge on electric, start listening to Steve Vai.

Steve Vai? I probably sound so green, Id give broccoli competition.

1. What should I focus on after mastering beginner guitar?

After mastering beginner guitar, you should focus on developing your skills in specific techniques, such as fingerpicking, strumming patterns, and chord progressions. You can also start learning more advanced music theory and expanding your repertoire of songs.

2. How do I know when I'm ready to move on from beginner guitar?

You will know you are ready to move on from beginner guitar when you feel comfortable playing a variety of basic chords and can switch between them smoothly. You should also have a good understanding of rhythm and be able to play simple songs without struggling.

3. Should I continue taking lessons or learn on my own?

This depends on your individual learning style and goals. Taking lessons from a skilled instructor can provide valuable feedback and help you progress more quickly. However, self-learning can also be effective if you have the discipline and motivation to practice regularly and seek out resources such as online tutorials.

4. How can I challenge myself as a guitarist?

One way to challenge yourself as a guitarist is to set specific goals, such as learning a difficult song or mastering a new technique. You can also try playing with other musicians or in a band, which will help you improve your improvisation and communication skills.

5. What are some common mistakes beginners make when trying to advance their guitar skills?

Some common mistakes beginners make when trying to advance their guitar skills include not practicing consistently, trying to learn too many things at once, and neglecting music theory. It's important to have a structured practice routine and to focus on one skill at a time to avoid feeling overwhelmed or frustrated.