Finding an oscillating sequence that diverges and whose limit is zero.

In summary, the conversation is about finding an oscillating sequence whose limit of the differences as n approaches infinity is zero, but the sequence itself is diverging. The equation used to solve the problem is sin(sqrt(n)), which is proven using the concept of sin(a) - sin(b) < a - b and sqrt(n+1) - sqrt(n) converging to 0. The original problem was bumped for help with a similar problem where an+1/an converges to 1. The desired sequence needs to oscillate and have an+1/an converge to 1.
4zimuth

Homework Statement

Hi, I need to find an oscillating sequence whose limit of the differences as n approaches infinity is zero but the sequence itself is diverging.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial guess was:

[tex]\frac{sin(ln(n))}{ln(n)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by an "oscillating" sequence?

Hi!

If I understand correctly, then
[tex]sin\left(\sqrt{n}\right)[/tex]
is what you are looking for. The proof is based on the idea sin(a)-sin(b) < a-b and sqrt(n+1)-sqrt(n) converges to 0.
I originally bumped this post, because I need help with a similar problem, where not
an+1-an converges to 0, but an+1/an converges to 1.
Does anybody know a good example for the latter? So the problem again:
We need a sequence, that:
1) oscillates (oscillation is when it divergates, but neither to infinity nor negative infinity, eg. -1 +1 -1 +1 ... ; +1 -2 +3 -4 +5 -6 ... ;sin(n) ; etc.)
2) an+1/an converges to 1

1. What is an oscillating sequence?

An oscillating sequence is a sequence of numbers that alternate between positive and negative values, without ever reaching a definite limit or approaching a specific value.

2. How can an oscillating sequence diverge?

An oscillating sequence can diverge if the values in the sequence become increasingly larger in magnitude, without ever reaching a specific value or limit.

3. What does it mean for a sequence to have a limit of zero?

Having a limit of zero means that as the sequence progresses, the values become increasingly closer to zero, but may never actually reach zero. This is also known as approaching zero or converging to zero.

4. Is it possible for an oscillating sequence to have a limit of zero?

Yes, it is possible for an oscillating sequence to have a limit of zero. This occurs when the positive and negative values in the sequence cancel each other out, resulting in a net value of zero.

5. How would one go about finding an oscillating sequence that diverges and has a limit of zero?

To find an oscillating sequence that diverges and has a limit of zero, one could start by choosing a sequence of numbers that alternate between positive and negative values, and then gradually increase the magnitude of these values. This will result in a sequence that diverges, but also has a limit of zero.