Arc length help extended to surface area and centroid.

In summary, the length of curve C is denoted by s and is equal to 2√3. The area of the surface generated when C is rotated through one revolution about the x-axis is denoted by S and can be found in terms of λ as 3π + 4πλ√3. The y-coordinate of the centroid of the region bounded by C, the axes, and the line x=3 is denoted by h. Given that ∫0^3 y^2 dx=3/4 + 8√3/5 + 3λ^2, it can be shown that as λ approaches infinity, S/hs approaches 4π.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

A curce,C, has equation [itex]y=x^{\frac{1}{2}}-\frac{1}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}+\lambda[/itex] where [itex]\lambda>0[/itex] and [itex] 0\leq x \leq 3[/itex]

The length of C is denoted by s. Show that [itex]s=2\sqrt{3}[/itex]
The area of the surface generated when C is rotated through one revolution about the x-axis is denoted by S. Find S in terms of [itex]\lambda[/itex]

The y-coordinate of the centroid of the region bounded by C,the axes and the line x=3 is denoted by h. Given that [itex]\int _{0} ^{3} y^2 dx=\frac{3}{4}+\frac{8\sqrt{3}}{5}+3\lambda^2[/itex],show that

[tex]\lim_{\lambda \rightarrow \infty} \frac{S}{hs}=4\pi[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]ds=\sqrt{1+\left (\frac{dy}{dx} \right)^2} dx[/tex]

Arc Length between [itex]x=x_1 \mbox{and} x_2[/itex] is given by

[tex]\int _{x_1} ^{x_2} 1 ds[/tex]

[tex]S=\int _{x_1} ^{x_2} 2\pi y ds[/tex]

[tex]h= \frac{\int_{x_1} ^{x_2} \frac{y^2}{2}dx}{\int _{x_1} ^{x_2} ydx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to show [itex]s=2\sqrt{3}[/itex] thanks to some help from the forum yesterday.

But I believe I am doing something wrong and I don't know where I went wrong so.

[tex]S=2\pi \int _{0} ^{3} (x^{\frac{1}{2}}-\frac{1}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}+\lambda) \times \frac{1}{2}(x^{\frac{-1}{2}}+x^{\frac{1}{2}}) dx[/tex]

[tex]S=2\pi \left( \int_{0} ^{3} (x^{\frac{1}{2}}-\frac{1}{3}x^{\frac{3}{2}}dx+ \lambda \int_{0} ^{3} \frac{1}{2}(x^{\frac{-1}{2}}+x^{\frac{1}{2}})dx\right) [/tex]

[tex]S=2\pi \int_{0} ^{3}(1-\frac{x}{3}+x-\frac{x^2}{3})dx +4\pi \lambda \sqrt{3}[/tex]

[tex]S= 2\pi \left[ \frac{-x^3}{9}+\frac{x^2}{3}+x \right]_{0} ^{3} + 4\pi \lambda \sqrt{3}[/tex]

Which gives me [itex]6\pi + 4\pi \lambda \sqrt{3}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
From your attempt, how did you get from line 1 to line 2? You didn't expand properly, perhaps you forgot about the brackets in the y term. Try expanding again, I got [tex]3\pi + 4\pi \lambda \sqrt{3}[/tex]

1. What is the difference between arc length and surface area?

Arc length is the distance along the curved portion of an arc, while surface area is the total area occupied by a three-dimensional object. In other words, arc length measures the length of a curve, while surface area measures the amount of space the curve encloses.

2. How is arc length extended to surface area?

Arc length can be extended to surface area by using calculus to find the length of a curve on a surface. This involves integrating the arc length formula over the entire surface to find the total surface area.

3. What is the significance of finding the centroid of a surface?

The centroid of a surface is the geometric center of the surface, and it is an important concept in engineering and physics. It helps in determining the stability and balance of objects, as well as in calculating moments of inertia and other physical properties.

4. How is the centroid of a surface calculated?

The centroid of a surface can be calculated by using the formula for the centroid of a two-dimensional shape and extending it to three dimensions. This involves finding the first moments of the surface with respect to each coordinate axis and dividing them by the total surface area.

5. Can arc length and surface area be calculated for any shape?

Yes, arc length and surface area can be calculated for any shape, as long as the appropriate formulas are used. These formulas may vary depending on the complexity of the shape, but they can be derived using calculus principles.