Why Do People Engage in Tailgating Behavior on the Road?

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
In summary: The only logical thing to do when someone is tailgating is to slow down considerably, so that their stopping distance will be within the recommended range. Try 20 MPH on an interstate highway. If they are still tailgating, go to 10 MPH. Then, when they try to pass you, the only logical thing at that moment will be to accelerate to 60 MPH as quickly as possible, since they are no longer tailgaiting and there is no further reason for you to move slowly.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm just curious to understand why people do this. I'm curious about both people who just don't maintain recommended following distances (e.g. something like two seconds, or 170 feet at 60 MPH in good conditions), and the people who tailgate egregiously (e.g. something like a quarter second, or 24 feet at 60 MPH).

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you smell nice?

It means you're driving too slow and should get out of the way so the person behind you can pass. :biggrin:

What else am I going to do while drinking before the game?

Last edited:
I don't know why people do it, other than unforgivable stupidity.
When I learned to drive, it was the car-length rule. Now it's considered that a 2-second separation is safe, so I give 3 under clear dry conditions, or 4 if it's a motorcycle in front of me. Both of those distances go up by 50 or 100% for adverse weather or road conditions.
I don't like it if someone tailgates me, but I have ways to make their lives miserable if they don't back off. :devil:

What makes me crazy is when I'm on a two-lane highway and I'm following the car ahead of me at a reasonable distance, going the same speed. That car ahead of me is doing the same, as is the car ahead of him, and so on, and so on.

Car after car after car, all moving along at the same speed on a winding, two-lane road.

Why, why does the guy in back of me ride my bumper? I CAN'T go faster, at least not for long.

In situations like that, Danger, I'm with you with those wicked ways :wink: to make people back the heck off.

In some cities, if you don't tailgate someone just moves in ahead of you anyway. And it is used as a way to make the person in front of you move over, but I am a big fan of stopping distance. :biggrin: I prefer to do the driving and keep Newton in his place.

Hurkyl said:
people who just don't maintain recommended following distances (e.g. something like two seconds, or 170 feet at 60 MPH in good conditions

Then the only logical thing to do when someone is tailgaiting is to slow down considerably, so that their stopping distance will be within the recommended range. Try 20 MPH on an interstate highway. If they are still tailgating, go to 10 MPH. Then, when they try to pass you, the only logical thing at that moment will be to accelerate to 60 MPH as quickly as possible, since they are no longer tailgaiting and there is no further reason for you to move slowly.

Technical point: It is illegal and dangerous to drive at speeds signficantly below the speed limit.

mikelepore said:
Then the only logical thing to do when someone is tailgaiting is to slow down considerably, so that their stopping distance will be within the recommended range. Try 20 MPH on an interstate highway. If they are still tailgating, go to 10 MPH. Then, when they try to pass you, the only logical thing at that moment will be to accelerate to 60 MPH as quickly as possible, since they are no longer tailgaiting and there is no further reason for you to move slowly.

I hope you're not serious! Going that slowly on a highway is very, very dangerous (far more so than tailgating). Some highways actually have lower limits on the speed, and a car traveling lower than that posted speed can be ticketed.

I hate tailgating. I'm a huge speeder, so I understand the desire to go faster than the car in front of me, but tailgating in traffic makes no sense. Sometimes I accidentally travel too closely for a moment, but I make an active effort to back off.

I don't tailgate anyone, its stupid. I just wait for an opening and PUNCH it, and change lanes back infront of them after I've passed them.

If your going to drive the speed limit, do us all a favor and stay on the right lane. If not, go crash into a tree.

Laura1013 said:
I hope you're not serious! Going that slowly on a highway is very, very dangerous (far more so than tailgating).

I think tailgating is much more dangerous. If you need to slam on your brake with maximum force and with no warning, for example, if you see a squirrel or a turtle crossing the road in front of you, even assuming that you have the time to stop to avoid harming the animal, the tailgater would probably push your car into the animal. Not only would the person in back be responsible for the damage to your car, but, more importantly, they would also be responsible for killing the animal.

mikelepore said:
Then the only logical thing to do when someone is tailgaiting is to slow down considerably, so that their stopping distance will be within the recommended range. Try 20 MPH on an interstate highway. If they are still tailgating, go to 10 MPH.
I actually did this once. Some idiot was tailgating me on the interstate and had their highbeams on too. I turned my rear view mirror to dark and kept going slower and slower so they would pass me, but they just wouldn't. Finally, I pulled to the shoulder and stopped. There was a cop car behind me with flashing lights which I couldn't see because my mirror was misadjusted. All this because my rear license plate light was out.

I hate when I have a 2 second gap in front of me, and someone pulls into that gap...

One time when driving in fog this guy came behind me with like a foot ball stadium amount of lights on, i pulled into a layby and so did he, i asked why he needed so much light, he said so that he can see to follow me.

Having driven with a few people whom I consider to be habitual tailgaters, I can say with some confidence that many tailgaters literally are not even aware they're doing it. They seem to be unable to understand what a safe following distance looks like, or fail to actually consider it at all while driving. When told "you're totally tailgating that guy, would you please stop?" they usually look at me with incredulity.

- Warren

If I'm following someone who is impeding traffic flow by driving right beside a truck for a long time on a 2-lane highway, I will go closer than recommended to let the driver know.

Gokul43201 said:
If I'm following someone who is impeding traffic flow by driving right beside a truck for a long time on a 2-lane highway, I will go closer than recommended to let the driver know.

Yeah, if you're going to get in the passing lane and not pass anyone, I'm going to get on your bumper too...and push you past the other vehicle if I must. But that only applies to the passing lane. If there's only one lane, or the slower vehicle is in the right lane, there's no reason to tailgate as there's either no place to go or you can get around passing on the left. I do sometimes end up closer than intended simply because the nitwit in front of me can't maintain a constant speed...I adjust to their speed, and then they slow down, I try to pass, and they speed up...makes you wish you had a bazooka on the roof to clear them out of the way. :devil:

I did have a truck tailgate me along a long, one-lane, winding road one night, with their high beams glaring in my mirror. I HAD to drive slower than usual, because their lights were blinding me...if they would have backed off just a bit, I could have sped up and made us both happy. I even tried to slow down and let them pass, but they wouldn't...grr.

I should also note that in NJ, there's no such thing as NOT tailgating. It takes a long time to get used to what a normal following distance is when you leave the state and move to places with lots of room on the roads. Going 55 or 60 mph in bumper-to-bumper traffic is not uncommon there. There really is no option for not tailgating, because if you slow down, you'll just have a wave of other cars passing you and filling in the gap you're trying to leave.

Last edited:
I drive a McLaren Mercedes SLR which has carbon ceramic disk brakes and can stop in half the recommended distance. Thats why I tail gate.

I do tail gate but I have this thing where I have to be as close as possible to the car in front. Even when the traffic has stopped I only leave a couple of inches between cars. I don't know why, just one of the many weird compulsions i have.

Kurdt said:
Even when the traffic has stopped I only leave a couple of inches between cars. I don't know why, just one of the many weird compulsions i have.

One novice driver with a stick shift on a steep hill will teach you your lesson there. Though, in a way, I can appreciate this feeling...for some reason, it drives me nuts when the person in front of me leaves a big gap between them and the car ahead of them. I really don't know why...rationally, that makes practically no difference in the time it'll take to get through a light when traffic moves again, yet somehow it seems like they're dilly-dallying or something. The frustration only becomes a bit more logical if there's a person trying to squeeze in from a side road or driveway into a line of cars and that person with the big gap in front of them who is oblivious to the people behind them is the reason that person can't complete the turn and get out of the way of someone else behind them wanting to go some other direction.

mikelepore said:
I think tailgating is much more dangerous. If you need to slam on your brake with maximum force and with no warning, for example, if you see a squirrel or a turtle crossing the road in front of you, even assuming that you have the time to stop to avoid harming the animal, the tailgater would probably push your car into the animal. Not only would the person in back be responsible for the damage to your car, but, more importantly, they would also be responsible for killing the animal.

Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Not only are you not supposed to make those sorts of maneuvers for animals (since it endangers human life), traveling slowly on a motorway would cause other drivers to have to brake sharply and swerve regardless of whether they were tail gaiting or not.

I hate tailgating, and I try never to over-run my stopping distance. That trait caused me no end of problems when I worked out of a field-office in Pottstown, PA because I'd fly into Philadelphia and take I-76 north to King of Prussia. Idiots with NJ and PA plates would cut in front of me constantly, making it feel like I was driving in reverse.

Moonbear said:
One novice driver with a stick shift on a steep hill will teach you your lesson there.

Oh I never do that on an incline unless its a downhill one, and learner drivers have to display 'L' stickers so they're easy to spot. :biggrin:

What bugs me is when I am driving the speed limit on a city street and some one starts tailgating. I change lanes the first chance I get and the person whizzes by. Twenty seconds later I pull up beside said person at a traffic light.

Kurdt said:
Oh I never do that on an incline unless its a downhill one, and learner drivers have to display 'L' stickers so they're easy to spot. :biggrin:

Wow, we don't have any such thing here as a big warning sign that someone is learning to drive (might be a good idea...I'd be sure to give them a good lesson if I spotted them :devil:), but even those who have their full license can be rather novice...and, around here (don't know how things work in the UK), you can get your license using an automatic transmission without knowing thing one about operating a stick shift, yet can then go out and buy yourself a stick shift and learn as you drive.

turbo-1 said:
I hate tailgating, and I try never to over-run my stopping distance. That trait caused me no end of problems when I worked out of a field-office in Pottstown, PA because I'd fly into Philadelphia and take I-76 north to King of Prussia. Idiots with NJ and PA plates would cut in front of me constantly, making it feel like I was driving in reverse.
See my comment above about driving in NJ. One just needs to adapt to the local driving style. You can't leave a big distance between you and the next car in heavy traffic. NJ roads are for people with quick reflexes...if you want to toddle along, drive around NJ not through it (walking follows the same rules...if you're going to toddle along oblivious to the people around you, expect to get shoved out of the way). :biggrin:

edward said:
What bugs me is when I am driving the speed limit on a city street and some one starts tailgating. I change lanes the first chance I get and the person whizzes by. Twenty seconds later I pull up beside said person at a traffic light.

I don't even think I can judge tailgating on city streets. But, on a related note, what bugs me is on interstates, when someone tailgates, I pull over to another lane to let them pass, then they get in front of me and slow down, so I wind up on their bumper because they've pulled in front of me and slowed down. It ends up like a friggin' game of leapfrog.

My attitude is pretty much PICK A SPEED AND STICK WITH IT! If you want to drive slow, fine, I'll go around you, if you want to drive fast, fine, I'll give you room to pass, but don't drive everyone bonkers by driving 55, then speeding up to 80 when someone starts to pass.

Worse than tailgaters are the people who pace you just to your left so you can't get around the slowpoke in front of you. It's just as bad to box people in by pacing them on the side and giving them no place to go if they need to swerve around something as it is to tailgate.

Moonbear said:
Wow, we don't have any such thing here as a big warning sign that someone is learning to drive (might be a good idea...I'd be sure to give them a good lesson if I spotted them :devil:), but even those who have their full license can be rather novice...and, around here (don't know how things work in the UK), you can get your license using an automatic transmission without knowing thing one about operating a stick shift, yet can then go out and buy yourself a stick shift and learn as you drive.

Well new drivers in the UK have to display a green 'P' for a year after their test. Most cars in the UK are stick shift any way. If you learn to drive in an automatic then you can only drive an automatic. I must admit we have one of the toughest driving tests there is. I guess in most of America though the roads aren't as busy as in the UK unless you live in the city.

Kurdt said:
Well new drivers in the UK have to display a green 'P' for a year after their test. Most cars in the UK are stick shift any way. If you learn to drive in an automatic then you can only drive an automatic. I must admit we have one of the toughest driving tests there is. I guess in most of America though the roads aren't as busy as in the UK unless you live in the city.

Well, most of America, yeah, but in some states, the roads are very similar to, or worse than, the UK (at least the bit I've seen of the UK). Friends I've had in the US who moved here from the UK have said the same about the driving test, and really have been great drivers (once they got used to driving on the right side of the road anyway). Since drivers' licenses are issued by states, not federal government, here, it would make more sense if at least the states with busier roads were more stringent in the driving tests. It makes good sense to me that if someone passes a test on an automatic transmission, that's all they should be allowed to drive until they pass a further test on driving a stick.

The drivers that make me the most nuts (probably because I had to drive there twice this week to pick up and drop off someone at the airport) are those in Pittsburgh. These nitwits have no clue how to merge, and wind up stopping at the END of the merge lane. I nearly rear-ended someone last week, because there was a clear opening for them to get into, and then another vehicle and an opening for me to get into...until the moron in front of me slammed on the brakes instead of speeding up into the space they had open. Someone today did the same thing, but I was able to zip around this time while they just sat.

Kurdt said:

As far as I know, P plates aren't a legal requirement. I never bothered with them simply because I didn't want people to think "oh, he's just passed his test, I'd better overtake as soon as possible."

In my experience (which, admittedly, isn't that much) driving in the UK is a lot easier than driving in the US. Especially motorways over here are a lot more pleasant than freeways in the states.. nobody gives you any room, and people just jump in front of you, expecting you to slow down for them! But the major difference for me was over/under-taking. In the UK it's illegal to undertake someone (i.e. accelerate past them whilst in a slower lane) but it seems that in the US it's the norm. So you've got to check, if you're in the middle lane, say, people overtaking you in both lanes.

All in all, though, I think it's just what you're used to, and what you've grown up with. I was pretty scared the first time I was in a car in the US and the driver turned right on a red light (something that isn't legal over here!)

As for tailgating, I think it's pretty dangerous. I've been in cars with people going about 75mph a couple of metres behind someone-- they just don't realize that there's no chance they can miss the guy in front if he stops for some reason. My favourite trick if someone's tailgating me is to start tapping my brakes-- not actually braking, but just flashing the brake lights to the car behind... most back off after a while!

Moonbear said:
See my comment above about driving in NJ. One just needs to adapt to the local driving style. You can't leave a big distance between you and the next car in heavy traffic. NJ roads are for people with quick reflexes...if you want to toddle along, drive around NJ not through it (walking follows the same rules...if you're going to toddle along oblivious to the people around you, expect to get shoved out of the way). :biggrin:
As a life-long biker, I have a healthy respect for other vehicles on the road, and somehow I cannot drop that just because I'm in a cager. It drives me nuts to get constantly cut-off in heavy traffic. The problem with I-76 out of Philly is that it is the only viable way to King of Prussia and that it was designed for about 20% of the traffic that it bears now.

cristo said:
But the major difference for me was over/under-taking. In the UK it's illegal to undertake someone (i.e. accelerate past them whilst in a slower lane) but it seems that in the US it's the norm. So you've got to check, if you're in the middle lane, say, people overtaking you in both lanes.

That's a sure sign you're driving too slow and should either speed up or move to the right lane. It's a bit frustrating when you're passing properly to the left and someone zooms in from the right lane so you can't pull back into complete the pass, but I usually blame the idiot in the middle lane who's driving so slow that people are looking for any way around them possible to avoid a collision.

How fast were you driving, what was the speed limit, and what lane do you use turbo?

I always drive fast, but I drive like a german. Ill go balls fast, pass you, and then cut you off so the guy that wants to go even faster than me can use the lane I was on to pass me, and cut me off in turn. Pass on the left, then turn back to the right. Thats the way its done. If your not going slow on the right, you deserve to get run off the road.

If I am on the beltway and the limit is 55, expect me to approach you at 70+ MPH on the left lane, and I am not going to be nice about it if your blocking me. When I am going that fast I am NOT going to start weaving around. So people BETTER move to the slow lane.

I am a good driver. If they don't move and I have to go around them, I will cut them off VERY close and scare the HELL out of them. (But that's only a last resort if they are being total incompetent a-holes).

Throw in a middle finger or two for good measure, but use your own judgement on that one.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
How fast were you driving, what was the speed limit, and what lane do you use turbo?

I always drive fast, but I drive like a german. Ill go balls fast, pass you, and then cut you off so the guy that wants to go even faster than me can use the lane I was on to pass me, and cut me off in turn. Pass on the left, then turn back to the right. Thats the way its done. If your not going slow on the right, you deserve to get run off the road.

If I am on the beltway and the limit is 55, expect me to approach you at 70+ MPH on the left lane, and I am not going to be nice about it if your blocking me. When I am going that fast I am NOT going to start weaving around. So people BETTER move to the slow lane.

Oh, I forgot to mention, D.C. is worse than NJ. Everyone will be driving along at a nice consistent speed on the beltway, and some maniac will fly by at 70+ MPH in a hurry to get nowhere. :biggrin:

cristo said:
My favourite trick if someone's tailgating me is to start tapping my brakes-- not actually braking, but just flashing the brake lights to the car behind... most back off after a while!

I've only had to brake check one or two tailgaters. I'll be on the I-10 tomorrow from Phoenix to Tucson and I know I will run into many tailgaters...

The 'P' plates aren't a legal requirement but you're expected to display them. I know most people don't. In the US undertaking is allowed so you must always be aware.