Is a Master's Degree a Good Stepping Stone for a PhD in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a terminal masters degree in a middle tier school as a stepping stone for getting into a better school's PhD program in physics. Some considerations mentioned include financial aid, location, and full-time/part-time study. It is noted that this strategy may not be very common among top-tier schools, but there are those who have successfully used it to improve their chances of getting into a desired program.
Thomas Pace
Hi,

I would like to get into a good physics graduate program but my undergraduate background is probably not good enough to achieve that. So, I was wondering if it is advisable to get a terminal masters degree at a middle tier school as a stepping stone for getting into a better school's PhD program. The idea being that with good grades in the program and some research experience it would improve my ability of getting into a better school. I am also curious if this something that is very common for the top tier schools?

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thats sort of the way I was planning to go. However, I got the MS and went to work instead hehe. I'm still thinking about going back so I'll be interested in the answers you get as well. One thing is certain, it couldn't hurt!

Somethings to consider:

It depends on where you plan on doing your masters, but they might not offer any financial aid. I don't know if this is a concern for you, but having to pay 2 years of graduate tuition is not so great. It literally also matters WHERE you are doing your masters, close to home, far away? Paying tuition along with living expenses is brutal. Do you plan on going part time? Full time? These are some things to consider.

I plan on doing my Masters at NYU in pure math and then hopefully jumping to a school more suited for mathematical physics.

The number of physics graduate students at the top-tier schools who do this is very, very small. That suggests that this strategy may be less effective than you think it will be.

I have an older bro who went this route with math. He had a less than impressive gpa with his BS in physics, found it difficult to get related job, and headed back to grad school a few years later. He didn't get much in the way of financial help at first, but he made it through with his MS in math in 3 semesters with a TA position the last two and a 4.0 gpa. Now he's at his top choice working on his phd, TA position and all :)

Interesting, thanks for all of your input.

What is a Masters Degree Prior to PhD?

A Masters Degree Prior to PhD is a graduate-level degree that is typically earned before pursuing a PhD. It is a higher level of education beyond a bachelor's degree and is usually focused on a specific field of study.

Why would someone choose to pursue a Masters Degree Prior to PhD?

There are a few reasons why someone might choose to pursue a Masters Degree Prior to PhD. This degree can provide a solid foundation of knowledge and skills in a specific field, which can be helpful when pursuing a PhD. It can also help students decide if they want to continue their education with a PhD or enter the workforce with a higher level of education.

What are the benefits of earning a Masters Degree Prior to PhD?

Earning a Masters Degree Prior to PhD can have several benefits, including a deeper understanding and expertise in a specific field, improved job prospects and salary potential, and the opportunity to conduct research and gain hands-on experience in a chosen field.

Is it necessary to have a Masters Degree Prior to PhD?

In some fields, it may be necessary to have a Masters Degree Prior to PhD, while in others it may not be required. It ultimately depends on the program and the individual's goals and qualifications. Some PhD programs may have a Masters degree as a prerequisite, while others may offer a combined program where students can earn a Masters degree along the way to their PhD.

How long does it take to earn a Masters Degree Prior to PhD?

The length of time it takes to earn a Masters Degree Prior to PhD varies depending on the program and the individual's pace. Typically, it can take 1-3 years to complete a Masters degree, and an additional 3-6 years for a PhD. However, combined programs can shorten the overall time to earn both degrees.