Understanding the Difference between Scalar and Dot Product in Tensor Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the dot product and scalar product in relation to the metric tensor and its inverse. The dot product involves the metric or its inverse, while the scalar product does not. The terminology is not standard and can vary in different contexts.
matheinste
Hello all.

In a quite easy to follow short piece by Edmond Bertschinger entitled Introductio to Tensor Calculus for General Relativity on page 6 when speaking of the metric tensor he says, referring to the symbol conventions used in the piece :-

"" We reserve the dot product notation for the metric and inversr metric tensor just as we reserve the angle bracket scalar product notation for the identity tensor---""

In the second case he is referring to the action of the identity tensor on a one form and a vector and in the first case he is referring to the action of the metric and inverse metric tensor on two one forms or two vectors.

What, if any, is the difference between the scalar and dot product.

Thanks. Matheinste

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the terms given,
the dot product involves the metric or its inverse, whereas the scalar product doesn't.
Maybe some abstract-index-notation will clarify:

[tex]\vec V\cdot \vec W=g(\vec V,\vec W)=V^a g_{ab} V^b[/tex]

[tex]\widetilde P\cdot \widetilde Q=g^{-1}(\widetilde P,\widetilde Q)=P_a g^{ab} Q_b[/tex]

[tex]< \widetilde P , \vec V > = P_a \delta^a{}_b V^b = P_b V^b [/tex]

Note the nature of the "factors" involved the various "products".

Thanks for your reply robphy.

Yes I understand the formulae but is the difference in terminology standard. I have seen other places where the terms dot product and scalar product mean the same.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
Thanks for your reply robphy.

Yes I understand the formulae but is the difference in terminology standard. I have seen other places where the terms dot product and scalar product mean the same.

Matheinste.

I don't think it's standard...You even hear of "scalar dot products".
There are also "inner products", "contractions", "transvections"...

A purist might argue with the "overloaded" use of the dot
for use with the metric and with its inverse.

Thanks robphy.

I'm happy with that.

Matheinste.

1. What is the definition of scalar product/dot product?

The scalar product, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and adding them together.

2. How is the scalar product/dot product calculated?

The scalar product/dot product is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. In mathematical notation, it can be represented as A · B = |A| |B| cosθ.

3. What is the purpose of the scalar product/dot product?

The scalar product/dot product is used to determine the angle between two vectors, as well as calculate the work done by a force in a particular direction. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How is the scalar product/dot product different from the cross product?

The scalar product/dot product results in a scalar quantity, while the cross product results in a vector quantity. Additionally, the scalar product/dot product is commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does not matter, whereas the cross product is not commutative.

5. Can the scalar product/dot product be negative?

Yes, the scalar product/dot product can be negative if the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. This indicates that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions.