Advice for Average International Student on University Choice

• Thread starter rukshan
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is an average international student looking for middle ranking universities. They have a GPA of 3.70 in their major, 3.52 overall, and a GRE physics score of 730. They have been accepted to the University of Mississippi and Wayne State University, with an interest in condensed matter. Climate and rank are important factors for them, but they are unsure about both universities. They are seeking recommendations from domestic students. Wayne State University has an excellent condensed matter physics program and a diverse student body. The speaker is from Sri Lanka and is considering condensed matter, astronomy/astrophysics, and high energy/nuclear fields. The most important factor for them is finding a research group that interests them. Reputation is not
rukshan
Dear Friends,

I'm an average international student and applied for middle ranking universities only.

GPA major = 3.70
GPA overall = 3.52
GRE physics = 730 (64%)

I got admission from Uni. of Mississippi and Wayne State university. My research interest is undecided but I like condensed matter. Having milder climate conditions is a gift (but not very important). The rank (recognition) is also important. I don't know much about both. So I would be thankful if one (domestic) can recommend me by considering above points.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wayne State University has an excellent condensed matter physics program.
http://www.physics.wayne.edu//research/cmp.html

I'm assuming (from your name) that you are from Asia. Most of the students in the physics and chemistry departments are from India, Sri Lanka, or China. So if indeed you are from one of those countries, that might help becoming acclimated more easily.

Michigan's climate is bearable: harsh winters, mild springs, warm summers, and pleasant autumns.

Last edited by a moderator:
scarecrow said:
Wayne State University has an excellent condensed matter physics program.
http://www.physics.wayne.edu//research/cmp.html

I'm assuming (from your name) that you are from Asia. Most of the students in the physics and chemistry departments are from India, Sri Lanka, or China. So if indeed you are from one of those countries, that might help becoming acclimated more easily.

Michigan's climate is bearable: harsh winters, mild springs, warm summers, and pleasant autumns.

First, thank you very much for your post.
What you assumed is 100% correct. I'm from Sri Lanka. But as far as the recognition & prestige is concerned, I was advised to go to the Uni of Mississippi (By the way I have not accepted any offers yet). Although I said that I like condensed matter, my mind is dwelling among Condenced matter, Astronomy/astrophysics & high energy/nuclear fields.

So what is the most important factor - The recognition of the campus or the best research groups.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe WSU has a more rigorous and larger physics program than Mississippi. Recognition is important, but joining a research group that interests you is more important. Plus, Mississippi doesn't have a "condensed matter physics" research group per se.

Frankly, when choosing between Ole Miss and Wayne State, I wouldn't let reputation be a driving consideration - neither school is likely to be confused with Harvard or Princeton - or Wisconsin and Michigan - or even Notre Dame or NYU. It makes more sense to decide which program best suits you without regard to reputation.

What factors should an average international student consider when choosing a university?

An average international student should consider factors such as the university's reputation, program offerings, location, cost, and available resources for international students.

How can an average international student research and compare universities?

An average international student can research and compare universities by looking at university rankings, visiting university websites, attending virtual or in-person college fairs, and talking to current or former international students.

Should an average international student prioritize a university's ranking over other factors?

No, an average international student should not prioritize a university's ranking over other factors. While rankings can provide a general idea of a university's reputation, it's important to also consider other important factors such as program offerings, location, and cost.

What should an average international student do if they are struggling to make a decision on which university to attend?

If an average international student is struggling to make a decision, they can seek advice from a guidance counselor, talk to current or former international students, or visit the university in person to get a better feel for the campus and community.

How important is it for an average international student to consider the culture and diversity of a university?

It is important for an average international student to consider the culture and diversity of a university as it can impact their overall experience. A diverse and inclusive campus can provide opportunities for cultural exchange and a sense of community for international students.