Special Relativity, accelerating frames, proper time

In summary, the particle has a constant acceleration in the lab frame from 0 to 0.5c in 2 seconds. It takes 0.501 seconds for the particle to reach its proper time.
iamaelephant

Homework Statement

A particle has a constant acceleration in a laboratory from 0 to 0.5c in 2 seconds. What time elapses for the particle (i.e. what is the proper time for the particle)?
Hint You will have to integrate the proper time of the particle over the two seconds as measured in the laboratory frame. You may need to look up an integral such as [tex]\int\sqrt{a^2 - x^2} dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

You tell me

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure this isn't a difficult problem, I think I may be going about it the wrong way.
I figure I need to integrate dt' over the interval of acceleration, but I'm confused about how I go about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's constant acceleration in the lab frame. That means v=a*t. dt'=dt*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). You are right, this shouldn't be at least that hard to start. Please start and tell us where you are confused.

Hi Dick, sorry for the late reply, busy weekend. Thanks for your help, I think I got it but I'd appreciate if you (or someone) could check to see if I did things right.

[tex]dt' = \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} = \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1-\frac{(at)^2}{c^2}}}
[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{dt}{\sqrt{1 - t^2(\frac{a}{c})^2}}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{(\frac{c}{a})^2}{\sqrt{(\frac{c}{a})^2 - t^2}} dt[/tex]
Therefore
[tex]t' = \frac{c}{a} \int \frac{dt}{\sqrt{(\frac{c}{a})^2 - t^2}}[/tex]
[tex] = \frac{c}{a} \arcsin{\frac{t^2}{(\frac{c}{a})^2}[/tex]
[tex] = 4 \arcsin{\frac{2}{16}} [/tex]
[tex] = 0.501 seconds[/tex]

I'm not sure how to put limits of integration into Latex but it's implied throughout to be t=0 and t=2s

The answer seems reasonable but I'd appreciate if someone could quickly go over my maths to see if I bungled it. Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Also just so I'm clear, does "proper time" mean the amount of time that has passed in the frame of some object, regardless of whether it is accelerating or not? The words don't even appear in my textbook unfortunately.

1. What is the theory of Special Relativity?

The theory of Special Relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, describes the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does Special Relativity explain time dilation?

Special Relativity explains time dilation as the difference in the passage of time between two observers in relative motion. This is due to the constant speed of light and the fact that space and time are relative to the observer's frame of reference.

3. What is an accelerating frame of reference?

An accelerating frame of reference is a non-inertial frame where objects appear to experience a force even in the absence of actual forces. This is due to the acceleration of the frame itself, such as a rotating or accelerating spaceship.

4. How does Special Relativity account for the concept of proper time?

Proper time is the time measured by a clock that is at rest in a particular frame of reference. Special Relativity states that proper time is the longest time interval measured between two events in any inertial frame, and all other observers will measure shorter times between these events.

5. What is the significance of the speed of light in Special Relativity?

The constant speed of light, c, is a fundamental concept in Special Relativity. It is the maximum speed at which all objects in the universe can travel, and it plays a crucial role in the relationship between space and time. Special Relativity states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.