Electric Field and Charge Density

In summary: But if it appears in an equation with a definite value for infinity, like Euler's equation for example, then the equation would be indeterminate at those points.Thanks for the clarification. I'll try to remember that for future reference.In summary, Gear300 is stuck on how to approach solving for the electric field at the origin given a linear charge density. He is thinking about using Gauss's law, but is unsure how to go about it. He asks for help from others and is given a starting point by another user. Gear300 tries substituting an infinity for the variable in the equation to see if that changes the results. He learns that if infinity is ever in the denominator of an equation, the equation is indetermin
XxBollWeevilx

Homework Statement

A line of charge starts at [tex]x=+x_0[/tex] and extends to positive infinity. If the linear charge density is [tex]\lambda=\frac{\lambda_0x_0}{x}[/tex], determine the electric field at the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sire which equations I would have to use to solve this...I am really just stuck at looking for a starting point to approach this.

I was thinking maybe [tex]E=k_e\int\frac{dq}{r^2}[/tex] might be of some use. I'm not sure how to associate electric fields with charge density, and I'm not quite sure how the infinity plays into this either. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any pointer would be greatly appreciated.

That seems like the right equation. Gauss's law doesn't seem suitable so stick to that equation you have there. The linear charge density, L (landa) is q/x (q is charge, x is length), so the derivative of the linear charge density is dq/dx, which is equal to, in this case, -L0*x0/x^2 (the derivative of the expression on top). Then simply do a change of variable: dq = -L0*x0/x^2*dx and substitute that in for dq in the integral. The r^2 refers to the square of the distance the point at the origin is from each increment of length dx along the rod. If you think about it, whatever the value of x is, its going to be the same value as r, so r^2 is the same as x^2 in this case. From this point forward, you simply integrate.

Thanks for the help. I'll try and do that to see how it works out.

Alright. The domain of the integral is simply along the length of the rod.

The charge is along a line that goes to infinity though...how would that work?

Hi Gear300,

Gear300 said:
That seems like the right equation. Gauss's law doesn't seem suitable so stick to that equation you have there. The linear charge density, L (landa) is q/x (q is charge, x is length), so the derivative of the linear charge density is dq/dx, which is equal to, in this case, -L0*x0/x^2 (the derivative of the expression on top). Then simply do a change of variable: dq = -L0*x0/x^2*dx and substitute that in for dq in the integral. The r^2 refers to the square of the distance the point at the origin is from each increment of length dx along the rod. If you think about it, whatever the value of x is, its going to be the same value as r, so r^2 is the same as x^2 in this case. From this point forward, you simply integrate.

I think you have a small error here. It's not that the derivative of lambda with respect to x is equal to dq/dx; lambda itself is equal to dq/dx. So you would get

[tex]
dq = \frac{\lambda_0 x_0}{x} dx
[/tex]

Hi XxBollWeevilx,

XxBollWeevilx said:
The charge is along a line that goes to infinity though...how would that work?

Gear300 answered that in post #5; the endpoints of the line charge give the limits on the integral.

Right, I get that now. The integral would be evaluated from +x to infinity. Could someone point me to a place, or perhaps explain to me briefly, how substituting an infinity into an expression would affect it? I know that if infinity is ever in the denominator then the expression would be 0. Are there any other important rules that might help me out?

Again, thanks Gear and al.

0 in the denominator reaches to infinite. Infinite over infinite is indeterminate, along with infinite over zero and zero over infinite.

I don't think limits that gave zero/infinite would be indeterminate if it appeared in this solution; the limit would just be zero.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds a charged particle and exerts a force on other charged particles within the field. It is represented by electric field lines that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is electric field strength calculated?

The strength of an electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge. It is represented by the unit Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

3. What is charge density?

Charge density is the amount of electric charge per unit volume of a material or region. It is represented by the unit Coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³).

4. How is charge density related to electric field?

Charge density and electric field are related through the equation ε = ρ/E, where ε is the permittivity of the material, ρ is the charge density, and E is the electric field strength. This equation shows that the electric field is directly proportional to the charge density and inversely proportional to the permittivity.

5. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform electric fields?

A uniform electric field has a constant strength and direction throughout the field, while a non-uniform electric field has varying strength and direction at different points in the field. In a uniform electric field, the electric field lines are parallel and evenly spaced, whereas in a non-uniform electric field, the electric field lines are closer together in areas of higher field strength and farther apart in areas of lower field strength.