BAM Finally got my final grade in University Physics I

In summary: A's and B's. I don't know about pre-war Germany but I've had some old Soviet teachers who were convinced that a C is the average grade, a B is a very good grade, and you had to make an original contribution to science for that A.
Shackleford
BAM! Finally got my final grade in "University Physics I"

My Cal 3 grade was up pretty quickly after the final. I got an A in that. But the PHYS 2425 Mechanics and Heat or "University Physics I" took almost a week after the final. I got an A in that, too. :smile: It was my first physics course since high school in 2002. I'm very glad.

Physics news on Phys.org
An "A" ? that won't cut it in this biz, sorry kid

All great physicists fail university physics I because they disagree with the teacher and their off-beat answers aren't what he's looking for

Was the sarcasm really necessary?

In any case, good job :)

I was kidding

Good job shackleford

Thanks. I'm just glad I got off to a good start with my physics courses.

I think we're all just a little bitter because we didn't get into Harvard due to our B-minuses in Physics 101.

So good on you, buckaroo.

Congratz :).

ekrim said:
All great physicists fail university physics I because they disagree with the teacher and their off-beat answers aren't what he's looking for

Don't you mean high school physics?

Since anyone who does well in high school physics will surely be too burnt out to do creative work in the future...

But there are exceptions to everything, so go out and celebrate those A grades!

Well, apparently Einstein had just average grades in university.

Did he? Any source for that?

That says nothing about his university grades.

Good work Shackleford, congrats on getting the A's. I will be taking Intro. Physics over the summer so hopefully I can get A's as well. My classes start today but I have already been reading and doing problems on my own so hopefully I am prepared just a bit. (Although Physics is probably not going to be a degree I will pursue).

i was just wondering, if I do really well in Physics and somewhat well in Calc, could I possibly think of studying or taking some Biophysical courses at my university?

Thanks.

hmm a 4.91/6.00 - well it still did not affect his ability to provide the world with one of the most important and famous theories of all time.

BioCore said:
hmm a 4.91/6.00 - well it still did not affect his ability to provide the world with one of the most important and famous theories of all time.

I guess that's comparable to a 3.2 GPA, which isn't bad.

A 3.2 isn't so bad by today's standards. Now, I don't know about pre-war Germany but I've had some old Soviet teachers who were convinced that a C is the average grade, a B is a very good grade, and you had to make an original contribution to science for that A. If Al's profs were of that sort, maybe a 4.91/6.00 is damn good. I think teachers today hand out A grades like candy because otherwise all the wannabe pre-meds who really can't hack math and science whine and complain. =(

I've always been under the impression that C is average, and, of course, A and B above average.

I don't know why people wish for high marks but don't get them!
I understand some people don't wish for them so don't get them .. but what about other people?
It's not hard to get like A .. you work, you get it!
but still, not all people get A somehow :rolleyes:
(even people who *seem* to work really really hard)

rootX said:
I don't know why people wish for high marks but don't get them!
I understand some people don't wish for them so don't get them .. but what about other people?
It's not hard to get like A .. you work, you get it!
but still, not all people get A somehow :rolleyes:
(even people who *seem* to work really really hard)

you have to be smart, keep that in mind

ekrim said:
you have to be smart, keep that in mind

That's not the only requisite but a good one. You can be smart but not diligent and receive less than capable grades. But I do agree with the other post that simply doing the homework, studying, and so forth goes a long way.

Shackleford said:
That's not the only requisite but a good one. You can be smart but not diligent and receive less than capable grades. But I do agree with the other post that simply doing the homework, studying, and so forth goes a long way.

I know, I'm just saying hard work isn't enough for everyone

Shackleford said:
I've always been under the impression that C is average, and, of course, A and B above average.

When I was in college, every physics class I ever took was graded on the curve and the average was always around 2.6 (out of 4.0). The profs gave one, maybe two 4.0s per class.

Although 2.6/4.0 is a bit inflated, by old-school standards, I think grade inflation in other (i.e., non-science) fields is far worse.

lisab said:
When I was in college, every physics class I ever took was graded on the curve and the average was always around 2.6 (out of 4.0). The profs gave one, maybe two 4.0s per class.

Although 2.6/4.0 is a bit inflated, by old-school standards, I think grade inflation in other (i.e., non-science) fields is far worse.

definitely true, at my school they don't want to people to leave, so students with <50% will often wind up with C's or even B's, while the curve at the top will be 0-5%

That's my experience here too. We have a few hard-asses that aren't afraid to fail students, god bless 'em, but for the most part you can get by with doing no work and then complain your way to at least a C, if not better.

ekrim said:
I know, I'm just saying hard work isn't enough for everyone

In most cases hard work should be enough.. (where hard work = studying every single day)

But nothing would work, if you have monsters =P
In my first university Physics midterm, I solved most of my Halliday Resnick Book questions (+assigned questions + .. some other books) .. but got only 70 (after bell curve), and our class average was like 49% - I went to exam .. and I had no clue how to do even a single question, some people who simply guessed all questions had high 80s/100s

... (but had a super A after finals.. )

I actually appreciate a test like that. I had a CS professor who designed his tests on the assumption that even his exceptional students shouldn't be able to get everything right, and his average students should be able to do about half of it (and of course curves accordingly). It gives you an opportunity to really show how clever you are; it's kind of boring to ace an easy test. Cracking a tough test gives me a much more accomplished feeling.

Congratulations! Keep up the good work. :smile:

1. How did you do in University Physics I?

I received my final grade in University Physics I and I am happy to say that I did well! I put in a lot of hard work and dedication to achieve a good grade.

2. What was the hardest part of University Physics I?

The hardest part of University Physics I for me was understanding the concepts of electricity and magnetism. It required a lot of practice and studying to fully grasp the concepts.

3. Was University Physics I difficult?

Yes, University Physics I was definitely challenging. It required a lot of critical thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with dedication and hard work, it is definitely achievable.

4. Did you enjoy studying University Physics I?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the laws of physics and how they govern the world around us. Therefore, I did enjoy studying University Physics I and learning more about the fundamental principles of physics.

5. How did you prepare for the final exam in University Physics I?

I prepared for the final exam in University Physics I by attending lectures, taking thorough notes, and practicing problems regularly. I also sought help from my professors and peers when I had trouble understanding certain concepts.