Decreaseing voltage increases current

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between voltage and current, specifically in regards to changing voltage and its effect on current. It is noted that in most cases, an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, but there are exceptions such as with a Gunn diode. The concept of resistance and its impact on current is also mentioned. The conversation ends with a thank you and a clarification on the topic.
loadedmike
hey fellas,

ok...so here's me question.

with increasing voltage i should increase current?

why does it work to the opposite...

even a small begginers lecture would be much appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless you're talking about a Gunn diode or some other relatively esoteric device, an increase in voltage is seen with an increase in current.

Volts = Current * resistance, so voltage is proportional to current with a coefficient of resistance.

Ex: We have 5 volts going through a resistance of 0.5 ohms, what will the current be?

5 = I * 0.5

5/0.5 = 10, so 10 amps.

Double the voltage and see what you get.

loadedmike said:
why does it work to the opposite...

What circumstance are you referring too?

lets say you have 500 watts at an 8ohm load...it works out to roughly 63volts rms...

lets say you change that load to 1500 watts with a ohm load of 2.67 still the same voltage but obviously with an increse in current...but the same voltage...

but the confusing thing to me is if you do increase the voltage then you in fact increase current...that fact has been pointed out to me..(thanks by the way!)but all the research I've done always says voltage drop increases current...why

loadedmike said:
but all the research I've done always says voltage drop increases current...why

A decrease in voltage decreases current if all other factors remain constant.

In an AC circuit a change in current can lead or lag a change in voltage. Could that be what is confusing you.

what other factors would those be?

In this case resistance.

...so would increasing resistance decreases current...if voltage is held constant?

Exactly, I = V/R, current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to resistance.

awesme thanks guys!

Let me guess, another car audio guy is set straight...

Question 1: How does decreasing voltage affect current?

When voltage is decreased, the flow of electric charge, or current, also decreases. This is because voltage is the driving force that pushes the electric charge through a circuit, and decreasing it reduces the force.

Question 2: Why does decreasing voltage increase current?

In a circuit with a fixed resistance, Ohm's law states that current is directly proportional to voltage. This means that when voltage is decreased, the current must increase to maintain the same ratio. Therefore, decreasing voltage increases current.

Question 3: What are the practical applications of decreasing voltage to increase current?

Decreasing voltage to increase current can be useful in certain situations where a higher current is needed. For example, in electronic devices that require a high current to function, decreasing the voltage can help prevent damage to the device while still providing the necessary current.

Question 4: Is decreasing voltage to increase current always safe?

No, decreasing voltage to increase current can be dangerous if done without proper precautions. It can cause the current to exceed the safe limit for the circuit or device, leading to overheating and potential hazards. It is important to consult with an expert or follow safety guidelines when manipulating voltage and current in a circuit.

Question 5: How does decreasing voltage to increase current impact the efficiency of a circuit?

Decreasing voltage to increase current can decrease the efficiency of a circuit. This is because a higher current can result in more energy being lost as heat, which reduces the overall efficiency of the circuit. Additionally, decreasing voltage may also lead to a decrease in the voltage drop across the circuit, reducing the efficiency of energy transfer.