Batteries in circuit, terminal voltage

In summary, two batteries with 10V and 5V are connected in a circuit with a resistor. The current flows clockwise due to the larger voltage of the 10V battery. No capacitors are present in this circuit. By using Ohm's law and Kirchoff's equations, the potential difference between the terminals of the batteries can be found.
scholio

Homework Statement

two batteries are connected as shown, see attached 'drawing.' what is the terminal voltage across each battery

Homework Equations

electric potential V = IR where I is current, R is resistance

I = V_0/R * e^(-t/RC) where t is time, C is capacitance <--RC circuit, discharging (10V batt.)

I = dQ/dt where t is time, Q is charge

I = epsilon/R e^(-t/RC) where epsilon is emf <---RC circuit, charging (5V battery)

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not too sure about how to approach the problem but by looking at the drawing, i am making the assumption that the current follows a counterclockwise path and that the 10V battery is discharging -->doing work on the 5V battery?

is my assumption correct, if not, how should i approach the problem?

help appreciated

Attachments

• batt.JPG
    batt.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi scholio,

There are no capacitors here, so the equations with capacitances do not apply. You only need Ohm's law, but you might want to solve it using Kirchoff's equations.

The current will not be going counterclockwise. If the 10 V battery was the only battery, the current would be going clockwise. If the 5 V battery were the only battery, it would be going counterclockwise. Since they are both there and the 10V battery has a larger voltage, the current is clockwise.

I don't think you need to account for any discharging or charging of the batteries. Just treat this as a normal circuit. Find an expression for the current, then find the potential difference between the terminals of the batteries (which means, for the left battery, the potential difference from the bottom of the resistor to the top of the 10V emf source).

Your assumption is correct. In this circuit, the 10V battery is discharging and providing energy to the 5V battery. The terminal voltage across each battery can be calculated using the equation V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

Assuming that the resistance in the circuit is negligible, the current will be the same throughout the circuit. Therefore, the terminal voltage across the 10V battery will be 10V and the terminal voltage across the 5V battery will be 5V.

In this circuit, the 10V battery is providing energy to the 5V battery, so the terminal voltage across the 10V battery will be higher than the terminal voltage across the 5V battery. This is due to the fact that the 10V battery has a higher electric potential (emf) than the 5V battery.

To find the exact values for the terminal voltages, you can use the equations you provided in your homework statement. For the 10V battery, you would use the equation I = V_0/R * e^(-t/RC) and for the 5V battery, you would use the equation I = epsilon/R * e^(-t/RC).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

What is a battery?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It is made up of one or more electrochemical cells, which store and release energy through reactions between different materials.

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a complete path through which electricity can flow. It typically includes a source of electrical energy, such as a battery, and various components that use and control the flow of electricity, such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

How does a battery work in a circuit?

When a battery is connected in a circuit, a chemical reaction occurs inside the battery, causing electrons to flow from the negative terminal (anode) to the positive terminal (cathode). This flow of electrons creates an electric current, which can power devices connected to the circuit.

What is terminal voltage?

Terminal voltage is the voltage difference between the positive and negative terminals of a battery. It is also known as electromotive force (EMF) and is measured in volts (V). The terminal voltage of a battery is affected by factors such as the chemical reactions happening inside the battery, the materials used, and the age and condition of the battery.

Why does the terminal voltage of a battery decrease over time?

The terminal voltage of a battery decreases over time due to a decrease in the chemical energy available to produce an electric current. As the battery is used, the chemical reactions become less efficient and the materials inside break down, causing the voltage to drop. This is why batteries eventually need to be replaced or recharged.