Danger, are you out there? I haven't seen you lately mate, just

• Thread starter binzing
  • Start date
In summary: Danger has been going through some health issues that have made them very inactive on the forum. They have been dealing with some health issues that have made them lethargic and they mostly log on to read a few posts before getting tired. They appreciate the concern and hope to feel better soon. They also suggest implementing a "dead man" system to keep track of members who may be going through difficult times. They also share that they have been struggling with alcohol addiction and have been trying to quit but have not been successful so far. They ask for any projects or problems to work on as it helps them stay active and feel useful. Their PF family means a lot to them and they hope to get better soon.
binzing
Danger, are you out there? I haven't seen you lately mate, just thought I'd check up with all the injuries/ mishaps lately.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi. I'm still here, but pretty inactive. There are a couple of (minor) health issues that have made me very lethargic. I pretty much just log on long enough to read a couple of posts, then get tired. Speaking of which, I feel a nap coming on.
I appreciate the concern. :smile:

Feel well soon soon Danger.

Good to hear your still around and relatively functional.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hey Danger , i have a real project i need help with, so i hope you feel well enough to help soon.

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather. Feel better!

I'm beginning to suspect that a simple "alternate contact list" isn't enough to keep track of members.

We should move to a "dead man" system. Report in once a week or someone will automatically come looking for you.

Hang in there, Sweetie. We're sending Good 'Sister' Vibes your way! xoxo

I hope you fell better soon! Do we have a way to check on you?

DaveC426913 said:
We should move to a "dead man" system. Report in once a week or someone will automatically come looking for you.

:biggrin: That might be a pretty good idea, considering how much we seem to care about each other. (It would simplify dealing with Woolie. :rolleyes:)
Okay, I'm going to lay it out while I have a bit of functionality going on. I've told Tsu, and she's been very supportive, but there's no secrecy involved; I just figured that she'd have the best medical background to understand. I know that a few others like Moonbear, Astro, Doc Toxin, Adrenaline, etc. would probably have the same academic understanding, and others are savvy enough to understand, but I just didn't want to cause unnecessary worry.
The joking personna of being a serious alcoholic has unfortunately become reality. I had some tests done that showed an abnormality in my liver function. I am in a so-far unsuccessful attempt to give up drinking. The time that I have not been posting is the time that I've been sober. Obviously, that means that I'm three sheets to the wind right now. (Canada Day celebration, so how could I refuse.)
I don't know if it's a normal reaction to alcohol withdrawal, but I can't think in a straight line or concentrate long enough to follow more than a couple of posts without a beer. This is certainly not something that I'm proud of, and no youngsters in the crowd should take this as a sign that it's okay to drink... just the opposite. The drink has ruined me to the point that I now find it hard to function without it. Tsu very truly pointed out to me that it will kill me even faster than my smoking while I have emphysema.
I have to stop, and it will be very difficult given my social situation. I think about PF all day, every day, and feel terrible that I don't participate as much as I want to. I just haven't had anything to contribute.
Woolie, or anyone else with a 'project', please bring it on. As you all know, I have no education in anything, but I absolutely love trying to solve problems... especially if there are mechanical systems involved. Getting me involved with something like that can make things a lot easier for me. I might not be able to help you, but your giving me something to work on can definitely help me.
My biological family is huge, but my PF family means almost as much to me.

Danger, your post really moved me. I wish you only the very best...wishes?...can't say prayers because you're an atheist and so am I. You're in my thoughts.

HA! I'M not an athiest! :biggrin: You're still in MY prayers. :tongue:

We love you, too, you little Sweetie, you. Anytime you want to have a drink, think of me chasing after you on my walker getting ready to gob-smack you with a THAWED codfish. :rofl: Well, at least the thought might be a little distracting... :biggrin:

*HUGS*

Hang in there old timer!

Don't have a beer on me, OK?

I guess we have to start seeing, not seeing you as good news.

Hope you get through this soon.

Danger said:
:biggrin: That might be a pretty good idea, considering how much we seem to care about each other. (It would simplify dealing with Woolie. :rolleyes:)
Okay, I'm going to lay it out while I have a bit of functionality going on. I've told Tsu, and she's been very supportive, but there's no secrecy involved; I just figured that she'd have the best medical background to understand. I know that a few others like Moonbear, Astro, Doc Toxin, Adrenaline, etc. would probably have the same academic understanding, and others are savvy enough to understand, but I just didn't want to cause unnecessary worry.
The joking personna of being a serious alcoholic has unfortunately become reality. I had some tests done that showed an abnormality in my liver function. I am in a so-far unsuccessful attempt to give up drinking. The time that I have not been posting is the time that I've been sober. Obviously, that means that I'm three sheets to the wind right now. (Canada Day celebration, so how could I refuse.)
I don't know if it's a normal reaction to alcohol withdrawal, but I can't think in a straight line or concentrate long enough to follow more than a couple of posts without a beer. This is certainly not something that I'm proud of, and no youngsters in the crowd should take this as a sign that it's okay to drink... just the opposite. The drink has ruined me to the point that I now find it hard to function without it. Tsu very truly pointed out to me that it will kill me even faster than my smoking while I have emphysema.
I have to stop, and it will be very difficult given my social situation. I think about PF all day, every day, and feel terrible that I don't participate as much as I want to. I just haven't had anything to contribute.
Woolie, or anyone else with a 'project', please bring it on. As you all know, I have no education in anything, but I absolutely love trying to solve problems... especially if there are mechanical systems involved. Getting me involved with something like that can make things a lot easier for me. I might not be able to help you, but your giving me something to work on can definitely help me.
My biological family is huge, but my PF family means almost as much to me.

Does this mean I get all your lovely beer?

You know we're all in your corner!

Lisa & Tsu;
Perfect responses from both. Lisa, that's pretty much the same thing that I would say to someone.
And Tsu, despite the theological differences, your sentiments are appreciated. It reminds me of when a very good young friend who went the Christian route after becoming involved with a girl that I was hanging out with (Christian) asked me if I would mind if they prayed for me. I certainly don't believe in that stuff, but it honours me that someone who does believe would do that for me. And I hope that you don't mind that I mentioned our private communication. I should have asked you about that beforehand. On the other hand, I figured that it would only fall in with everyone's impression of what a caring and knowledgeable woman you are. I might have to do a bit more PM's for a while, since it's a struggle.

Anything we can do to help? I recently lost a friend, crazy little bastard (OK he was 47, died a week before his 48th bday, so as I'm 16, I can't call him little) who was a great guy (as yourself), even though he had no formal education, he was always thinking and creating stuff, but someone who was an utter alcoholic, who died while screwing around on a 3 wheeler (which we should have tried harder to get from him).

Hang in there Danger, and just know that you have friends here who care about you.

binzing said:
Anything we can do to help?

Just your being here, and carrying on PF, is all of the help that I need. And a special thanks to you, Binzing, for starting this thread. This is not something that I would have ever volunteered, other than as my response to Tsu's PM. Your concern gave me a chance to share my difficulty on a more public basis, which has brought back far more support than I deserve. It's much appreciated, and that support just means that I'm damned well going to do it so as not to let any of you down. This might, however, mean that I won't be posting for a while until I get stabilized. Your understanding is appreciated.

Danger, from what I've inferred, you're pretty much an analytical person. Keep falling back on that as much as possible. I know how hard addictions can be. After four years of trying to stop smoking, I was finally able to quit. I won't lie at all. I still crave one every so often. The general smoky taste I can't stand, but something in the back of my head occasionally tells me "hey, that smells good, that's a good idea". I then mentally smack myself and remember how long I've gone without one, and how long I went before I originally started smoking.

I never needed one until I started smoking, so why do I really need one now?

Because I don't.

I know it's easy to tell someone else to follow that same advise, but I know you have the strength. It may take time, but you can do it.

Mind over matter, brother.

Thanks, B. The smoking is even a different matter. I'm going to deal with the booze first, since that's my lesser addiction. I'd gone from 1 1/2 packs a day down to a pack a week, until the drinking escalated, an then it went back to almost 1/2 pack a day. The more I drink, the more I smoke. So, at least getting the easy one out of the way will make it easier to get over the other.
No matter how it goes, the support of everyone here is indescribably helpful.
And my apologies to those that I've not responded to personally. Patty, Integral... the rest of you... thanks to all.

Last edited:

Hey Danger, thanks for sharing the explanation so we understand what's going on. Now that we know, we're certainly going to understand if you're not around so much if it means you're getting yourself healthier. Yes, that's all part of the withdrawal. Withdrawal is a real bugger, isn't it? Causes all the symptoms whatever you're addicted to USED to cause before you got addicted. Just give it time.

If you DON'T quit, I'm going to start praying for you every day, just to irk you. :biggrin:

I have been on a couple month bender before so I have a bit of an idea what its like. I'm sure your a stubborn enough SOB to kick this.

Moonbear said:
If you DON'T quit, I'm going to start praying for you every day, just to irk you. :biggrin:

You're a nasty woman, Moonie... merely one of the reasons that I love you. :biggrin:

Stats, I am indeed a stubborn SOB when I'm fighting someone else; it's a bit different when I'm fighting myself. Still, I'm going to win; it just might take a while. It's very helpful to have the PF army backing me up.
What's weird is that W was an AADAC (Alberta Alcohol and Drug Addiction Commission) counsellor for 10 years, and has occasionally pestered me to quit... but every time that I've made it for a couple of days, she's decided to host a party or drag me off to the bar. :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
Hey Danger, thanks for sharing the explanation so we understand what's going on. Now that we know, we're certainly going to understand if you're not around so much if it means you're getting yourself healthier. Yes, that's all part of the withdrawal. Withdrawal is a real bugger, isn't it? Causes all the symptoms whatever you're addicted to USED to cause before you got addicted. Just give it time.

I was kinda hoping you were the kinda gal that couldn't get a prayer past the ceiling:devil::!)o:)

Danger said:
You're a nasty woman, Moonie... merely one of the reasons that I love you. :biggrin:

Stats, I am indeed a stubborn SOB when I'm fighting someone else; it's a bit different when I'm fighting myself. Still, I'm going to win; it just might take a while. It's very helpful to have the PF army backing me up.
What's weird is that W was an AADAC (Alberta Alcohol and Drug Addiction Commission) counsellor for 10 years, and has occasionally pestered me to quit... but every time that I've made it for a couple of days, she's decided to host a party or drag me off to the bar. :rolleyes:

Danger! you have always been an inspiration on this forum, and we share a lot in common, uneducated but very mechanical minded, I have been putting together a F-350, with trailer for carrying a Bobcat, and outfitted to the point of a complete mobile shop. In the Texas heat I have been enjoying an afternoon buzz on too much of a regular basis, and with what you have said, I will bring it to an almost complete stop. THANKS you are a FRIEND.

RonL

Danger said:
Thanks, B. The smoking is even a different matter. I'm going to deal with the booze first, since that's my lesser addiction. I'd gone from 1 1/2 packs a day down to a pack a week, until the drinking escalated, an then it went back to almost 1/2 pack a day. The more I drink, the more I smoke. So, at least getting the easy one out of the way will make it easier to get over the other.
No matter how it goes, the support of everyone here is indescribably helpful.
And my apologies to those that I've not responded to personally. Patty, Integral... the rest of you... thanks to all.

Hi Danger. My situation was slightly different from yours (for me alcohol was "amongst other things"), but I can tell you what worked for me.

1. I failed miserably every time I attempted a bit-by-bit approach and only succeeded once I decided to quit everything all at once.

2. The physical addiction is nothing. I don't know if you've already done it once, I had to do it a couple of times (slow learner, you, see :redface:) but trust me, painful as it is, it passes. The real jerk is the psychological addiction.

3. To help combat the psychological addiction, I replaced things, rather than just trying to remove. What I mean by this is, for each substance, I created a "mental" replacement. i.e. in the beginning, when the urges were worst, I'd have, say, an apple when I would've had a...whatever...(I don't really want to go into too much detail here, but if you think it will help and want a complete rundown, PM me). It doesn't always do much for the urge, but sometimes I found the pure ridiculousness of the situation humorous enough to help me through those 10 seconds when the fight was most fierce.

What I'll add lastly, since it really doesn't do much for one in the line of advice: you have to want to...Really want to...See, in my case anyway, no amount of reason or logic ever could convince me that it was worth quitting since I could always reason from a different angle that made it worth my while to continue. I only managed it once I realized I no longer wanted it...

Anyhow mate, I think that's probably more than enough for now :smile:...good luck.

Aren't you a bartender? Thats definitely not a good influence.

Danger said:
Lisa & Tsu;
Perfect responses from both. Lisa, that's pretty much the same thing that I would say to someone.
And Tsu, despite the theological differences, your sentiments are appreciated. It reminds me of when a very good young friend who went the Christian route after becoming involved with a girl that I was hanging out with (Christian) asked me if I would mind if they prayed for me. I certainly don't believe in that stuff, but it honours me that someone who does believe would do that for me .

That's the intent. Danger, I think you are the PERFECT athiest. :rofl: :!)

And I hope that you don't mind that I mentioned our private communication. I should have asked you about that beforehand. On the other hand, I figured that it would only fall in with everyone's impression of what a caring and knowledgeable woman you are. I might have to do a bit more PM's for a while, since it's a struggle.

I don't mind at all, Sweetie. PM away! We are here to help you in your struggle. To quote lisab - "We wuvs ya". :wink: :!)

Danger said:
Still, I'm going to win; it just might take a while.

That's the spirit: hang in there Danger and give it your all!

I won't pretend I know what you're going through, but I have a little experience. One of my close friends is an alcoholic: she started very young and it tore her life apart. Luckily, she had a very supportive family, and finally decided to try and give it up when she hit the very bottom. I saw the pain she went through doing this, but now she's a year sober as of last week. I also gave up my own addiction recently: around 3 months ago I stopped smoking, and it's going pretty well (not had a cigarette since).

Anyway, enough rambling: I'm thinking of you: good luck, and hope to see you post here as much as you feel you can!

Last edited:

Good luck and all my best wishes, Danger. I don't pray, but you'll be in my thoughts.

binzing said:
Aren't you a bartender? Thats definitely not a good influence.

I agree that it would be an awful handicap; luckily, I've been out of the business for about 10 years.

Phyzmatix, thanks for the advice. I've had a nicotine inhaler for over year, but it seems to stay in my pocket while I fish for a smoke. Maybe I'll have more success if I use that in conjunction with no drinking. (I'm probably on the way to being addicted to Coke Zero and a plastic tube... :rolleyes:)

RonL, that sounds like a great truck project. You've got to post some pics of the shop layout when you get that far along.

Turbo, thanks to you as well. I'm going to get healthy if it kills me.

RonL said:
Danger! you have always been an inspiration on this forum, and we share a lot in common, uneducated but very mechanical minded, I have been putting together a F-350, with trailer for carrying a Bobcat, and outfitted to the point of a complete mobile shop. In the Texas heat I have been enjoying an afternoon buzz on too much of a regular basis, and with what you have said, I will bring it to an almost complete stop. THANKS you are a FRIEND.

RonL
I wouldn't say uneducated, but educated not through conventional channels. I've known some fine people who didn't finish high school, or if they did, didn't go to college, yet they still learned a lot - a craft, a skill, and a lot of street smarts. What counts is good hard and honest work!

Danger, dear Friend and Mate, may the Force be with you. May you have many more years with us, and we'll do a cup of tea together one of these days.

Take care of yourself, Danger. If you need time away from us, that's cool. We'll be here when you get back.