Conductivity,permittivity & permiability

• Thread starter deep_tought_e
  • Start date
In summary, electrical conductivity is a measure of how easily electric current can flow through a material, while resistivity measures how much the material resists the flow of current. The conductivity of a material is affected by its composition, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. Permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store an electric charge and is related to conductivity through the equation ε = ε<sub>0</sub> + σ/ω. Permeability is a measure of a material's ability to support the formation of a magnetic field and is related to conductivity and permittivity through the equation μ = μ<sub>0</sub>(1 + χ<sub>m</sub>).
deep_tought_e
Dear physicists
I'd like to have conductivity,permittivity & permiability chart of materials specially clay.can anyone help me please?
I'd be thabksful if you answer me soon
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
regarding permittiivity tis might help.(http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/formulae/capacitors/permittivity.php [Broken]),
the other terms you can get them from physics 102 course textbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
dear friends
I found most of that coeficients.I can tell you about that if you want it.
thanks

no thanks, i already have them in my textbook. thank you again.

1. What is electrical conductivity?

Electrical conductivity is a measure of how easily electric current can flow through a material. It is typically represented by the symbol σ and is measured in units of siemens per meter (S/m).

2. How does conductivity differ from resistivity?

Conductivity and resistivity are inversely related. While conductivity measures how easily current can flow through a material, resistivity measures how much the material resists the flow of current. Resistivity is typically represented by the symbol ρ and is measured in units of ohm-meters (Ω·m).

3. What factors affect the conductivity of a material?

The conductivity of a material is affected by its composition, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects. Generally, materials with higher concentrations of free electrons or ions have higher conductivity.

4. What is permittivity and how is it related to conductivity?

Permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store an electric charge. In other words, it is a measure of how much a material can be polarized by an applied electric field. It is typically represented by the symbol ε and is measured in units of farads per meter (F/m). Permittivity and conductivity are related through the equation ε = ε0 + σ/ω, where ε0 is the permittivity of free space, σ is the conductivity, and ω is the angular frequency of the applied electric field.

5. How does permeability relate to conductivity and permittivity?

Permeability is a measure of a material's ability to support the formation of a magnetic field. It is typically represented by the symbol μ and is measured in units of henrys per meter (H/m). Permeability is related to conductivity and permittivity through the equation μ = μ0(1 + χm), where μ0 is the permeability of free space and χm is the magnetic susceptibility of the material.