Understanding Generator Capacity: Exploring Time Frame for Generating 100MW

• Thread starter karthikgnv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Generators
In summary, the conversation discusses the generating capacity of a machine and how long it takes for it to produce 100MW of energy. The speaker also mentions their doubt about the time frame in which the energy is generated. The conversation also touches on the difference between MW as a rate of energy generation and a quantity of energy generated. Lastly, the speaker expresses their gratitude for the information provided by others.
karthikgnv
Hi all...people always tell that the machine has a generating capacity of say 100MW..now... my doubt is..in how much time it generates those 100MW..that is in a day or in an hour something like that?

This may be a basic doubt...i don't know..but i can't help it...

Thanx

Engineering news on Phys.org
karthikgnv said:
Hi all...people always tell that the machine has a generating capacity of say 100MW..now... my doubt is..in how much time it generates those 100MW..that is in a day or in an hour something like that?

Thanx
Assuming it is loaded with a 100MW consumer, the generator will produce 100MW at any given time. In one hour, it will have generated 100MWh or megawatthours of energy..for which the user will be charged...if it is a commercial generator.

To put it another way, MW is a rate of energy generation, not a quantity of energy generated.

russ_watters said:
To put it another way, MW is a rate of energy generation, not a quantity of energy generated.

How much time does it usually take for a generator that size to turn on to full power when activated?

karthikgnv said:

Thanx

100MW = 100,000,000 Million Joules per SECOND

Equivalent to 3.1556926 * 10^15 joules per YEAR

thanx for the info guys

1. What is generator capacity?

Generator capacity refers to the maximum amount of electricity that a generator can produce at a given time. It is typically measured in megawatts (MW) and can vary depending on the type and size of the generator.

2. How is generator capacity determined?

Generator capacity is determined by the size and type of the generator, as well as its efficiency and technical specifications. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and altitude.

3. What is the significance of generating 100MW?

Generating 100MW of electricity is a significant milestone for power generation as it is a large amount of energy that can power a considerable number of homes and businesses. It also shows the capability and efficiency of the generator.

4. What is the time frame for generating 100MW?

The time frame for generating 100MW varies depending on several factors, such as the type and size of the generator, the availability of fuel, and the demand for electricity. However, on average, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.

5. Can a generator consistently maintain a capacity of 100MW?

It depends on the specific generator and its technical specifications. Some generators may be able to consistently maintain a capacity of 100MW, while others may have limitations or require maintenance and downtime to sustain such a high output.