Wow, I don't even know what tactic this could be

• News
  • Thread starter member 5645
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, Bush and Hezbollah have both condemned the act of beheading, showing a rare moment of agreement between the two. This highlights the complex relationships and motivations between different terrorist groups and governments in the Middle East. The story of the Russian diplomats being released through a similar tactic also sheds light on the effectiveness of using force against terrorists.
member 5645
Bush and Hezbollah condemn beheading

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/13/1084289801959.html

A Kinder Hezbollah? A PR stunt? Looking for more recruits and empathy?

Either way, the Sydney Morning Herald is doing a hell of a job trying to play cupid with Bush and Hezbollah. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
Several years ago, Hamas abducted some Russian diplomats. What they'd forgotten was that the Russians had basically set up tehir entire cell network, and trained them all. The Russians instructed Hamas to return the diplomats, or they'd wander around killing Hamas cells. They gave Hamas 24 hours. Hamas did not comply. The next day, the heads of a Hamas cell (I mean the heads) were delivered to one of the Hamas leaders. The diplomats were released.

Funny old world.

Adam said:
Several years ago, Hamas abducted some Russian diplomats. What they'd forgotten was that the Russians had basically set up tehir entire cell network, and trained them all. The Russians instructed Hamas to return the diplomats, or they'd wander around killing Hamas cells. They gave Hamas 24 hours. Hamas did not comply. The next day, the heads of a Hamas cell (I mean the heads) were delivered to one of the Hamas leaders. The diplomats were released.

Funny old world.

Bar none, this is the best story you have ever told on this site! :approve:

Adam said:
---- the heads of a Hamas cell (I mean the heads) were delivered to one of the Hamas leaders. The diplomats were released.

Funny old world.

Gotta be "urban legend" --- been too many versions rattling around, heads of parents/brothers/girl(boy)friends. Usually this one is used to belittle the CIA's effectiveness --- "the KGB knows/knew how to settle things" being the punchline.

Bystander said:
Gotta be "urban legend" --- been too many versions rattling around, heads of parents/brothers/girl(boy)friends. Usually this one is used to belittle the CIA's effectiveness --- "the KGB knows/knew how to settle things" being the punchline.

No, it's not urban legend. This was told by the personnel involved, on a documentary about Spetsnaz activities here and there. I have never once heard of it elsewhere, and therefore never as a joke about the CIA.

perhaps the fact u never heard it anywhere else means it happened only in their minds. I like the story tho, i will spread it around

studentx said:
perhaps the fact u never heard it anywhere else means it happened only in their minds. I like the story tho, i will spread it around
Make sure you get a big shovel and a clothes pin for your nose before you start the spreading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hezbollah has improved its relations with Syria since the young Assad took over. It is a strange relationship, a zealously religious shiite terrorist/guerilla army allied to a secular Sunni government. The one thing they have in common is a dislike for fanatical Sunnis. Hezbollah beats them down in Lebenon so the Syrians can keep their hands clean (relatively). The Syrian government are Baathists. While the Syrian and Iraqi Baathists hated each other, it was because the were rivals for leadership amongst secular Arabs. With the Iraqi Baathist party thoroughly weakened, there is no rivalry. The Syrians have been allegedly aiding the Iraqi Baathist insurgents. The last thing the Syrians want is for Al Qaeda to become strong in Iraq. I believe Bin Laden has called for the death of Assad, and an overthrow of the Baathists in Syria.

You need a scorecard to keep it all straight.

Njorl

phatmonky said:
Bar none, this is the best story you have ever told on this site! :approve:
Agreed.
Gotta be "urban legend"...
Urban legend or not, its the only type of tactic that works with terrorists. Its the reason that plane hijackings largely stopped after a huge upswing in the 80s - the Israelis in particular sent the message loud and clear that 'you may or may not kill some passengers, but either way, we're going to kill you.' Turns out, not all that many terrorists are suicidal.

Check out the documentary "Inside Russia's SAS", Wilton Films and BBC, 1999, produced and directed by Tania Rakhmanova and Paul Mitchell. It's a great addition to any collection. Very interesting stuff. The section about the Kabul raid was great.

Oh, by the way, it is Spetsnaz people themselves who describe their activities in the Middle East. Sorry, but it is not "urban legend". Try again.

I saw that in a documentary about the Speznaz as well, Adam isn't making this up. Interesting stuff.

1. What is a tactic in science?

A tactic in science refers to a specific approach or method used to achieve a certain goal or objective. It is a planned strategy that is based on scientific principles and is used to conduct experiments, gather data, and draw conclusions.

2. How do scientists determine which tactic to use?

Scientists determine which tactic to use based on the specific research question or problem they are trying to address. They consider factors such as the type of data needed, the available resources, and the limitations of each tactic before deciding on the most appropriate one.

3. Can tactics be combined or modified?

Yes, tactics can be combined or modified to suit the needs of a particular research project. This is often done to improve the accuracy or efficiency of the experiment or to address any limitations of a single tactic.

4. Are there different types of tactics in science?

Yes, there are various types of tactics in science, including experimental, observational, and analytical tactics. These tactics differ in their approach and the type of data they collect, but all are used to answer scientific questions and advance our understanding of the natural world.

5. How do scientists know if a tactic is successful?

Scientists determine the success of a tactic by evaluating the results it produces. This involves analyzing the data collected and comparing it to the expected outcomes based on the initial research question. If the results are consistent and support the hypothesis, the tactic is considered successful.