Importance of CS to the Mathematics/Physics Major.

• Programs
  • Thread starter PFStudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Major
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of adding a computer science major to an already existing double major in mathematics and physics. The individual is curious about the potential benefits of having knowledge in computer science, particularly in terms of job opportunities and research. Some participants in the conversation mention that they have learned programming languages on their own, while others suggest taking formal courses in computer science. Additionally, the conversation touches on the importance of understanding theoretical concepts in computer science, such as computational complexity and algorithms.
PFStudent
Hey,

I'm an undergraduate and since freshman year have been double majoring in: Mathematics and Physics. However, recently things like: NSF REU options, internal/external lab positions, overall academic competitiveness, and finanical options (read: a nice salary); has me really wondering if I should study Computer Science in addition to my majors of Mathematics and Physics?

As it stands I can handle my mathematics and physics majors, however CS is significantly different. I guess if I added CS, I would be going for a double major with a minor in CS (or even a triple major :yuck:).

I was wondering if anyone else is seeing this trend? In my perspective, it just seems I see way too much programming in: positions I'd like and internships I want to get. I would also think mathematicians/physicists with a knowledge of CS have an advantage in terms of the options CS provides, that is the ability to create their own programs to help aid their research.

Thanks,

-PFStudent

Physics news on Phys.org
just study it yourself. Some of the best computer programmers are physicists. Just think: In the 1970's there was no "computer science major."

Many of the best programmers didn't get a computer science "degree."

Tronter is right. I have a physics undergrad and now work for a computer company. I am a coder and just learned the language myself.

commercial coding is the most boring thing ever, study computational science and then you'll get to program really cool things like trading strategies.

I never took any CS courses but picked up two languages in the course of my studies. Once you know one or two languages fairly wel you're ok. Maybe one or two course in CS is enough.

i feel pretty useless because i don't know any CS.

At some schools as part of the math curriculum they recommend (if not require) you take at least the beginner cs class. Probably just so you can say you have at least one language under your belt or have had exposure to cs that is verifiable by transcript.

Amazing that some of you pick up one or two computer languages on your own without attending courses of instruction. Just a type of minimal BASIC in a beginning programming course from a few decades ago was extremely difficult. Learning that or any language without actually attending a course would not have been any easier. That is just me.

well, in my lab, there are a whole bunch of undergraduates, including me. None of us has formal training in coding (for me I have never taken a class in CS). Yet, we all just pick up some C++ and do serious coding in root...

for me, the best way to learn a programming language is to actually use it. You'll see why pointers are useful, why kind of standard libraries stuff are useful, and how to smartly implement some alogrithms. Besides, in your research, you'll probably be reading other people's code. A formal class won't be nearly as quick and/or useful as just seeing how other people do things and copy them.

symbolipoint said:
Amazing that some of you pick up one or two computer languages on your own without attending courses of instruction. Just a type of minimal BASIC in a beginning programming course from a few decades ago was extremely difficult. Learning that or any language without actually attending a course would not have been any easier. That is just me.

meh i don't see any difference between learning a programming language and learning mathematics or a natural language for that matter.

PhilosophyofPhysics said:
i feel pretty useless because i don't know any CS.

Download a Python or Java compiler, and grab a textbook from a library.

I learned on Java, but if you are going at it by yourself Python is a really nice language as you don't have to compile everytime you run a program (i.e. you don't have to get every line perfect to get something to work.), and Java doesn't have explicit pointers (which you will have to master eventually, but maybe not first up)

Some people are comfortable jumping straight into c/c++, but I wasn't. It's too easy to get lost in it, especially if you're self-taught.

Amazing thing that no one seems to remark on, that computer science isn't only about programming in some language.

What about courses in computational complexity, algorithms, discrete maths and graph theory and matroids?

I believe you can take these theoretical courses without even enrolling to cs major, ofcourse you need the right preliminaries.

What is the relationship between computer science and mathematics/physics?

The fields of mathematics and physics heavily rely on computer science for data analysis, simulations, and modeling. Computer science provides the tools and techniques necessary for solving complex problems in these fields.

How does computer science improve problem-solving skills for mathematics/physics majors?

Computer science teaches students how to break down complex problems into smaller, manageable tasks. This skill is crucial for mathematics and physics majors as they often encounter difficult and multifaceted problems that require a systematic approach.

What are some specific applications of computer science in mathematics/physics?

Computer science has numerous applications in mathematics and physics, such as data analysis and visualization, numerical methods for solving differential equations, and creating simulations for studying physical phenomena.

Why is it important for mathematics/physics majors to have a basic understanding of computer science?

In today's digital age, almost every field involves some form of computer science. Having a basic understanding of computer science allows mathematics and physics majors to adapt to the ever-evolving technological landscape and stay competitive in their respective fields.

How can a background in computer science benefit a career in mathematics/physics?

A background in computer science can open up a wide range of career opportunities for mathematics and physics majors. It can lead to jobs in data science, software development, or research positions that require both mathematical and computational skills.