Number Theory: Wilson's Theorem

In summary, the first question is asking to prove that three expressions (A(p), B(p), and C(p)) are congruent modulo p, and the second question is using Wilson's theorem to prove that one of these expressions is congruent to another.
mathsss2
I posted this question but I am not getting anywhere with this question, any help would be very appreciated:

1. let [tex]p[/tex] be odd prime explain why: [tex]2*4*...*(p-1)\equiv (2-p)(4-p)*...*(p-1-p)\equiv(-1)^{(p-1)/2}*1*3*...*(p-2)[/tex] mod [tex]p[/tex].

2. Using number 2 and wilson's thereom [[tex](p-1)!\equiv-1[/tex] mod p] prove [tex]1^23^25^2*...*(p-2)^2\equiv(-1)^{(p-1)/2}[/tex] mod [tex]p[/tex]

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Update: I got #2, I still don't know how to do #1.

Let me give names to the individual expressions in question 1: call them, from left to right, A(p), B(p), C(p), so that your question 1 becomes
[tex]A(p) \equiv B(p) \equiv C(p) \mbox{ (mod p)}[/tex]

Now, B(p) and C(p) are the same expression. If you multiply by -1 each of the factors in B(p), (that's (p-1)/2 factors), they become (p-2)(p-4)...(p-(p-1)), that is, 1*3*...(p-2).

Now you only need to prove that either of B(p) or C(p) is congruent to A(p) modulo p. Just observe that [tex]-1 \equiv p-1 \mbox{ (mod p)}[/tex], and also [tex]-3 \equiv p-3 \mbox{ (mod p)}[/tex], and also ...

The fact of the matter is that [tex] 2-p \equiv 2 Mod p [/tex] Thus the first two expressions are of equal value. As Dodo has already explained.

1. What is Wilson's Theorem?

Wilson's Theorem is a fundamental result in number theory that states that a positive integer n is a prime number if and only if (n-1)! is congruent to -1 (mod n).

2. Who discovered Wilson's Theorem?

Wilson's Theorem was first discovered by the mathematician John Wilson in 1770.

3. How is Wilson's Theorem used in number theory?

Wilson's Theorem is used to determine whether a given number is prime or composite. It is also used in various proofs and calculations in number theory.

4. What is the significance of -1 in Wilson's Theorem?

The significance of -1 in Wilson's Theorem is that it represents the smallest positive integer that is congruent to -1 (mod n) for all prime numbers n. This property is crucial in determining the primality of a number using Wilson's Theorem.

5. Are there any exceptions to Wilson's Theorem?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to Wilson's Theorem. For example, it does not hold true for all composite numbers. Additionally, it does not work for values of n that are too large due to computational limitations.