Minimizing a Function

• Thread starter Ready2GoXtr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, to minimize xyz on the unit sphere x2+y2+z2=1 using the Lagrange Method, set f(x,y,z)=xyz and g(x,y,z)=x2+y2+z2-1, take the gradient of both functions, and set Δf(x,y,z) = λΔg(x,y,z). Then, solve the system of equations for x, y, and z in terms of λ and use the constraint equation to determine λ. Finally, plug in the solutions to find the corresponding values of xyz to determine which are minimums and which are maximums.
Ready2GoXtr

Homework Statement

Minimize xyz on the unit sphere x2+y2+z2=1

Homework Equations

Lagrange Method.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt so far.. I am trying to follow the lagrange method

I set f(x,y,z)=xyz and g(x,y,z)=x2+y2+z2-1

g(x,y,z) = 0

I took the gradient of both functions

Δf(x,y,z) = (yz)i + (xz)j + (xy)k Δg(x,y,z) = (2x)i + (2y)j + (2z)k

Then set Δf(x,y,z) = λΔg(x,y,z)

Giving me the following

yz = λ2x
xz = λ2y
xy = λ2z

After that i am not sure what to do. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solve that system of 3 equations for x,y and z in terms of λ. Then use the constraint equation to determine λ and finally plug in your solutions to find the corresponding values of xyz...which ones are minimums? which are maximums?

Ready2GoXtr said:

Homework Statement

Minimize xyz on the unit sphere x2+y2+z2=1

Homework Equations

Lagrange Method.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt so far.. I am trying to follow the lagrange method

I set f(x,y,z)=xyz and g(x,y,z)=x2+y2+z2-1

g(x,y,z) = 0

I took the gradient of both functions

Δf(x,y,z) = (yz)i + (xz)j + (xy)k Δg(x,y,z) = (2x)i + (2y)j + (2z)k

Then set Δf(x,y,z) = λΔg(x,y,z)

Giving me the following

yz = λ2x
xz = λ2y
xy = λ2z

After that i am not sure what to do. Please help.
Since you are not interested in finding a value for [itex]\lambda[/itex], I recommend dividing one equation by another. For example dividing the first equation by the second gives y/x= x/y or x2= y2 so y= x or y= -x. Similarly, dividing the first equation by the second gives z/x= x/z or x2= z2 so z= x or z= -x. Put those into the condition that x2+ y2+ z2= 1 to determine specific values for x, y, and z.

1. What does it mean to minimize a function?

Minimizing a function means finding the lowest possible value of that function. In other words, it is finding the input value that gives the smallest output value.

2. Why is minimizing a function important?

Minimizing a function is important because it allows us to find the optimal solution to a problem. It is often used in optimization problems, where we want to find the best possible outcome.

3. How do you minimize a function?

To minimize a function, you can use techniques such as calculus and algebra. By taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to 0, you can find the critical points which may be the minimum value. You can also graph the function and visually identify the minimum point.

4. Can a function have multiple minimum values?

Yes, a function can have multiple minimum values. This can happen if the function has multiple local minimum points, or if the function is constant over a certain interval.

5. How can I check if a critical point is a minimum or maximum value?

You can use the second derivative test to determine if a critical point is a minimum or maximum. If the second derivative is positive, the critical point is a minimum, and if the second derivative is negative, the critical point is a maximum.