Polynomial Remainders: Find the Remainder and Value of a | Homework Equations"

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, to find the remainder when P(x) is divided by 2x-1, we substitute x=1/2 into the equation and get P(1/2) = (a-33)/4. To find the value of a when the remainder is 17 when P(x) is divided by x+2, we substitute P(-2)=17 into the equation and solve for a.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

a) Find the remainder when [tex]P(x)=2x^4-7x^3+ax^2+3x-9[/tex] is divided by [tex]2x-1[/tex]

b) If the remainder, when [tex]P(x)[/tex] is divided by [tex]x+2[/tex], is 17, find the value of a.

Homework Equations

If a polynomial [tex]P(x)[/tex] is divided by [tex](x-a)[/tex], the resultant is [tex](x-a)Qx+R(x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I substituted [tex]x=\frac{1}{2}[/tex] into the equation and resulted with [tex]P(\frac{1}{2})=\frac{a-33}{4}[/tex]

For b) I'm unsure what to do with the fact that I now have [tex]P(\frac{1}{2})=\frac{a-33}{4}[/tex] and [tex]P(-2)=17[/tex].

A nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
P(-2) you will get another equation ^^
except from P(-2)=17,
however you are on the right track

Oh wait I sub [tex]P(-2)[/tex] into the equation :grumpy:

I really am that bad at polynomials that I keep missing these simple things!

1. What is a polynomial remainder?

A polynomial remainder is the value that is left over when one polynomial is divided by another polynomial. It is the result of the division process and represents the remainder term in the polynomial long division method.

2. How do you find the remainder of a polynomial?

The remainder of a polynomial can be found by using the polynomial long division method. This involves dividing the polynomial by another polynomial and finding the remainder term. The remainder can also be found by using the remainder theorem, which states that the remainder is equal to the value of the polynomial at the point where the divisor is equal to zero.

3. What is the value of a polynomial remainder?

The value of a polynomial remainder is a number that represents the remainder term in the polynomial long division method. It can also be interpreted as the remainder when the polynomial is divided by the divisor at a specific point.

4. Why is finding the remainder of a polynomial important?

Finding the remainder of a polynomial is important because it helps in solving polynomial equations and in simplifying expressions. It also provides information about the properties and behavior of the polynomial, such as whether it is a factor or multiple of another polynomial.

5. Can the remainder of a polynomial be negative?

Yes, the remainder of a polynomial can be negative. This can happen when the divisor has a larger degree than the dividend, resulting in a negative term as the remainder. It is important to carefully consider the sign of the remainder when using it in further calculations or interpretations.