Confuse about the relativistic effect

In summary: Yes, this is due to time dilation in the moving frame.In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of relativistic effects, specifically in regards to a moving frame and a rest frame. The questions revolve around the length of a train, the perceived speed of a watch, and the total energy of a particle in the relativistic limit. It is clarified that in the non-relativistic limit, the total energy is dominated by the rest energy, but as the speed approaches the speed of light, the kinetic energy becomes significant. The conversation also brings up the topic of conservation of energy in collision problems involving particles and photons.
KFC
Hi there,
I am reading some materials on relativistic effect but since it is quite abstract and I need to think the situation between moving frame and rest frame, it becomes quite confusing. I setup a situation and some questions with answer (from my understand), could you please tell me if my understanding is correct or not?

A moving frame, call primed frame, attached to a moving train at speed U close to speed of light, you are sitting in the train. I am sitting in the platform, call (unprimed) frame.

1) If you measure the length of the train and get [tex]L_0[/tex], in my point of view, the length of train is short than [tex]L_0[/tex], right?

2) You carry a watch with you, you pretty sure the minute hand of the watch move every 60 second. However, in my point of view, I see the minute hand of your watch is moving ahead more than 60 second. Namely, in my point of view, your watch is running slower than mine.

3) The most confusing concept is the energy in relativistic limit. First, generally, I wonder if the total energy of a particle should be written as

[tex]
E = mc^2
[/tex]

? And this TOTAL energy should include two parts: kinetic energy and rest energy? This is,

[tex]
\textnormal{total energy} = mc^2 = KE + m_0 c^2
[/tex]

There, [tex]m[/tex] is the mass when the particle is in motion

[tex]
m = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}
[/tex]

What confusing me is: when [tex]u\ll c[/tex], then [tex]m=m_0[/tex], the total energy becomes

[tex]
m_0c^2 = KE + m_0 c^2
[/tex]

this gives kinetic energy go to zero? But I think this should give the non-relativistic case. What's going on?

4) Still about energy. The total energy in relativistic limit can also expressed in terms of relativistic momentum

[tex]
\textnormal{Total energy} = mc^2 = \sqrt{p^2c^2 + m_0^2c^4}
[/tex]

Is this result exactly the same as the previous definition (E = KE + m_0c^2) ?

Again, if [tex]u\ll c[/tex], [tex]p \to m_0 v[/tex], then the total energy becomes [tex]m_0c^2[/tex] ? In this non-relativistic limit, I think total energy should be [tex]\frac{m_0v^2}{2}[/tex]

5) The last question is: in non-relativistic case, the kinetic energy for particle with mass [tex]m=m_0[/tex] be

[tex]KE = \frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]

For relativistic case,

[tex]KE = \frac{m_0c^2}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}} - \m_0c^2 = \m_0c^2\left(\frac{1}{1-u^2/c^2} - 1\right)[/tex]

If [tex]u=c[/tex], then the first term in the parentheses go to infinity?

All of these questions about energy are really confusing me. Would you please give me some clues what's going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
KFC said:
3) The most confusing concept is the energy in relativistic limit. First, generally, I wonder if the total energy of a particle should be written as

[tex]
E = mc^2
[/tex]

? And this TOTAL energy should include two parts: kinetic energy and rest energy? This is,

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

What confusing me is: when [tex]u\ll c[/tex], then [tex]m=m_0[/tex], the total energy becomes

[tex]
m_0c^2 = KE + m_0 c^2
[/tex]

this gives kinetic energy go to zero? But I think this should give the non-relativistic case. What's going on?

4) Still about energy. The total energy in relativistic limit can also expressed in terms of relativistic momentum

[tex]
[/tex]

Again, if [tex]u\ll c[/tex], [tex]p \to m_0 v[/tex], then the total energy becomes [tex]m_0c^2[/tex] ? In this non-relativistic limit, I think total energy should be [tex]\frac{m_0v^2}{2}[/tex]
Both of these look like the same question, so I will try to address them together. You are getting this result because you are looking at the total energy as u<<c. It should be no surprise that as u<<c the total energy is dominated by the rest (mass) energy and the kinetic energy contributes a negligble fraction of the energy.

What you really want to do is to solve the original equation for KE and then take the limit of that as u<<c.
[tex]KE = \frac{m_0 c^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}-m_0 c^2 [/tex]

Now, if you take this expression and do a Taylor series expansion about u=0 you get
[tex]KE = \frac{ m_0 u^2}{2}+\frac{3 m_0 u^4}{8 c^2}+O\left(u^6\right)[/tex]

Where you immediately recognize the first term as being the Newtonian expression for KE.

DaleSpam said:
Both of these look like the same question, so I will try to address them together. You are getting this result because you are looking at the total energy as u<<c. It should be no surprise that as u<<c the total energy is dominated by the rest (mass) energy and the kinetic energy contributes a negligble fraction of the energy.

What you really want to do is to solve the original equation for KE and then take the limit of that as u<<c.
[tex]KE = \frac{m_0 c^2}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^2}{c^2}}}-m_0 c^2 [/tex]

Now, if you take this expression and do a Taylor series expansion about u=0 you get
[tex]KE = \frac{ m_0 u^2}{2}+\frac{3 m_0 u^4}{8 c^2}+O\left(u^6\right)[/tex]

Where you immediately recognize the first term as being the Newtonian expression for KE.
That make sense. Well, I also have a question, since the energy in relativistic limit have two terms (KE and rest energy), so in collision problem like electron and positron produces two photon, when I apply the conservation of energy, should I include two terms for the energy of each particle? What about the photon? Since photon has no mass, should I just simply drop the rest energy? If so, the momentum for the photon just become E/c ?

KFC said:
A moving frame, call primed frame, attached to a moving train at speed U close to speed of light, you are sitting in the train. I am sitting in the platform, call (unprimed) frame.

1) If you measure the length of the train and get [tex]L_0[/tex], in my point of view, the length of train is short than [tex]L_0[/tex], right?
Yes.
KFC said:
2) You carry a watch with you, you pretty sure the minute hand of the watch move every 60 second. However, in my point of view, I see the minute hand of your watch is moving ahead more than 60 second. Namely, in my point of view, your watch is running slower than mine.
Yes, in your frame it will take longer than 60 seconds for my watch to reach the 60-second mark.
KFC said:

[tex]
E = mc^2
[/tex]
Assuming m is the "relativistic mass" as you say below, that's correct. Most physicists nowadays prefer to avoid using relativistic mass and just refer to rest mass, though.
KFC said:

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]
Yes, from this you can infer that kinetic energy = [tex](\gamma - 1)m_0 c^2[/tex] where [tex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - u^2/c^2}}[/tex]. That way when you add the rest energy to the kinetic energy you get a total energy of [tex]\gamma m_0 c^2[/tex].
KFC said:

[tex]
m_0c^2 = KE + m_0 c^2
[/tex]
That equation can never be exactly true as long as u is larger than 0--when u is nonzero, m will always be slightly larger than m0. It is true that when [tex]u\ll c[/tex], [tex]\gamma[/tex] will be very close to 1, so the kinetic energy [tex](\gamma - 1)m_0 c^2[/tex] will be very small compared to the rest energy [tex]m_0 c^2[/tex], and you can treat it as negligible if you just need an approximate answer.
KFC said:

[tex]
[/tex]

Yes, it's the same. If you substitute in the equation for relativistic momentum, [tex]p = \frac{m_0 u}{\sqrt{1 - u^2/c^2}}[/tex], then the resulting equation can be reduced through some algebra to [tex]\textnormal{Total energy} = \frac{m_0 c^2}{\sqrt{1 - u^2/c^2}}[/tex]. If you try this and don't see how it works I can show you the steps.
KFC said:
Why are you using both u and v to refer to the same object's velocity? Anyway, in the non-relativistic limit the kinetic energy becomes very small compared to the rest energy, so most of the object's total energy is rest energy, it's just that in non-relativistic dynamics you don't even bother to keep track anything other than the kinetic energy (and potential if applicable) because the rest energy of the interacting objects never changes noticeably (whereas in relativistic collisions objects can lose or gain appreciable amounts of rest energy because of heat gained or lost).
KFC said:
5) The last question is: in non-relativistic case, the kinetic energy for particle with mass [tex]m=m_0[/tex] be

[tex]KE = \frac{mv^2}{2}[/tex]

For relativistic case,

[tex]KE = \frac{m_0c^2}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}} - \m_0c^2 = \m_0c^2\left(\frac{1}{1-u^2/c^2} - 1\right)[/tex]

If [tex]u=c[/tex], then the first term in the parentheses go to infinity?
Assuming m0 was nonzero, kinetic energy would go to infinity in the limit as u approached c. But no finite amount of applied energy can ever accelerate an object with nonzero rest mass to c in the first place! Only things with zero rest mass like photons can move at c, and to find their energy you can use the quantum equation E = hf, where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency. And since the relativistic equation tells you a particle with zero rest mass would have E = pc, you can also substitute to get p = hf/c.

KFC said:
That make sense. Well, I also have a question, since the energy in relativistic limit have two terms (KE and rest energy), so in collision problem like electron and positron produces two photon, when I apply the conservation of energy, should I include two terms for the energy of each particle? What about the photon? Since photon has no mass, should I just simply drop the rest energy? If so, the momentum for the photon just become E/c ?
The safest way to do this is using the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-momentum" . I know that some people consider this "overkill", but I find it very convenient. So, say we have the electron and positron at rest before the anhilation. Then the four-momentum of the electron is (511.,0,0,0) keV/c, the four-momentum of the positron is also (511.,0,0,0) keV/c, so the total four-momentum of the system is (1022.,0,0,0) keV/c before the anhilation. Then, if one photon goes off on the x-axis then the resulting photons must be (511.,511.,0,0) keV/c and (511.,-511.,0,0) keV/c so that the four-momentum of the system is also (1022.,0,0,0) keV/c after the anhilation.

Last edited by a moderator:
KFC said:
since the energy in relativistic limit have two terms (KE and rest energy), so in collision problem like electron and positron produces two photon, when I apply the conservation of energy, should I include two terms for the energy of each particle?

In doing conservation of energy and momentum calculations, I always think in terms of only the total energy E (kinetic plus rest energy). If I want to find the kinetic energy of a particle separately, I do it at the very end.

That goes well with the four-momentum approach since the timelike component is proportional to the total energy rather than the kinetic energy.

What is the relativistic effect?

The relativistic effect, also known as the relativistic correction or relativistic shift, is a phenomenon in physics where the measurements of time, length, and mass vary according to the observer's frame of reference and their relative motion.

How does the relativistic effect affect time?

The relativistic effect causes time dilation, which means that time appears to move slower for an observer who is moving at high speeds relative to another observer. This is due to the distortion of space-time caused by the theory of relativity.

What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the effects of motion on objects in a straight line at constant speeds, while general relativity takes into account the effects of acceleration and gravity on objects. Both theories are essential for understanding the relativistic effect.

Can the relativistic effect be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the relativistic effect can be observed in everyday life, although it is typically only noticeable at extremely high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields. For example, the GPS system has to account for the relativistic effect to provide accurate location data.

How does the relativistic effect impact our understanding of the universe?

The relativistic effect is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of the universe. It has led to breakthroughs in areas such as cosmology, black holes, and the nature of time, and continues to be a crucial concept in modern physics.